what style of dress would suit me?

(12 Posts)
sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 17:46:16

I've a family do to attend in August, formal ish, it definitely requires me to put on something other than jeans!

I'm 43, 5'2", 36g, and generally a 16-18. I hate my legs, they're fat and chunky, so nothing short, but too long swamps me. not bothered by showing my bingo wings, they are what they are

thinking a kind of 50s flared skirt, or am I barking up the wrong tree??

help please smile

sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 18:31:53

bump smile

ZeroFunDame Tue 09-Jun-15 18:37:19

That 50s flared skirt is very popular on MN. I'm inclined to think most people look best in clothes that follow the line of their body ...

Do you have a budget?

And will you wear heels?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 09-Jun-15 18:40:55

An a-line style might work well

What colours etc do you like and what's your budget ?

ZeroFunDame Tue 09-Jun-15 18:43:30

Random dress suggesting a different shape.

Something else - not expensive.

sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 18:46:11

clothes wouldn't want to follow the lines of my body grin

think I need a dress as less likely to be fiddling about, pulling things down, or up, or in, or out! that's why when I saw a picture of one of those dresses which fitted bust, waist and then flared out over the most lumpy bits I thought ah ha. but haven't actually tried one on.

heels are ok, but only small ones

sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 18:46:44

oh and budget, up to £100 but preferably less

sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 18:48:25

colours - barely seen out of black, but when I am its purple, green, white. quite plain but not averse to patterns

sorry about the drip feeding, multi tasking !

sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 19:34:29

zerofundame - both beautiful dresses but I need to wear a bra! think they're slightly too fitted as well, my tummy would stick out a mile......

blodynmawr Tue 09-Jun-15 19:44:21

Baukjen?
Other recent S&B thread with various links including Nigella bombshell style which suit curves.
other recent S&B thread about flattering M&S Autograph dress which suits all shapes.

sacbina Tue 09-Jun-15 19:50:45

ooh, thanks for the links. don't frequent s&b much so missed them

ZeroFunDame Tue 09-Jun-15 19:55:04

There's a beautiful, very simple, v necked dress on the second site I linked. Would make an excellent base for dressy accessories and then be wearable through autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now