What to wear for a funeral?

(14 Posts)
dylsmimi Thu 04-Jun-15 16:09:10

I have a funeral to attend tomorrow. Only the service but I just don't know what to wear?
Have only been to 2 funerals before and I was younger as it was grandparents so style and appropriateness was different
Any help and advice appreciated

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Jun-15 16:30:04

Anything navy, black, grey, nothing flashy. I'm always surprised at how informal and I dressy funerals are these days tbh. thanks

dylsmimi Thu 04-Jun-15 16:35:18

Thanks. I seem to have either dark top but not matching trousers/skirt or vice versa. Think a bit of denial has made me leave it last minute

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Jun-15 17:29:20

What have you got and we can say yay or nay?

dylsmimi Thu 04-Jun-15 18:02:20

Got a black long Jersey skirt a short grey flaired skirt (knee length not short short) a dress and jacket suit from next which is an odd mix of blue and black almost tartan and the matching skirt
The top wise I have a white shirt black 3/4 length top and black t short and a navy vest top and cardigan.
I'm not close family or close friend and I know the family won't care but I just want to look respectable and appropriate
Thanks everyone. Sorry for bad descriptions!

stripytees Thu 04-Jun-15 20:38:46

I just went to one on Monday. Most people wore black but some were in jeans or fairly casual things. Even the close family wore a light grey suit with light blue shirt, teal blouse etc.

Stick to black, navy, grey and white, nothing too short or low cut and you won't stand out.

I wore a black ponte knee length dress with a black velvet blazer, grey/black light scarf, black tights and black flats.

dylsmimi Thu 04-Jun-15 20:42:15

Thanks stripy

Dowser Thu 04-Jun-15 21:06:02

I wore a black dress with a black jacket to my cousins funeral in march.

Think I wore the same outfit to my husbands funeral in December come to think of it.

dylsmimi Thu 04-Jun-15 22:55:21

Thanks downer and flowers sorry for your losses
I don't have a black jacket and it's only now I have realised.
I think I will find something appropriate - tbh I think it's a distraction from the reality of it

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Jun-15 22:56:25

Oh Dowser, I'm so sorry foot your lossesthanks

OP that all sounds a suitable and very appropriate.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Jun-15 22:57:09

For not foothmm

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 05-Jun-15 09:44:31

OP hope it goes ok today smile

dylsmimi Fri 05-Jun-15 17:32:14

Thanks dame was really tough but a beautiful service

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 05-Jun-15 17:54:59

Glad the service was beautiful, feet up and a brew wine for you now x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now