What do people wear for a meal out? I haven't been out for ages!

(14 Posts)
Jemster Wed 03-Jun-15 20:57:13

What would you wear for a meal out with friends? It's my birthday & we're going out for a meal & then probably a few bars. I haven't done anything like this in a very long time since having dc & I don't know what sort of thing to wear. Should it be a dress or just jeans & a top? Our age group is early 40's.
Any tips please, I am so out of touch!

You'll get lots of different answers on here!

Personally (am 45) I'd wear either skinnies, heels and a 'nice' top, or tights, heels and a mini-ish dress, but no cleavage and not sleeveless.

MMcanny Wed 03-Jun-15 21:04:55

Whatever you feel comfy in. I eat out all the time. Either skinnies and a top and nice fitted jacket, sometimes with heeled boots or flat boots or sandals or heeled shoes - depends how much walking will be done. Or if I feel like it a dress and either boots or heels. Just whatever you want really, depends on places you're going and your friends. You need more practice. Lol. Don't forget to have fun. I'm 41, friends between 31 and 48.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 03-Jun-15 21:05:50

Either is fine in my opinion, unless the meal is somewhere very formal. Last time I was out for a similar night I wore (I think, it was back in April!) a stripy short-ish Cos dress with opaques and ankle boots, which I've also worn to a 40th birthday party. This weekend I'm planning to wear high-waisted black skinny jeans with a drapey leopard print blouse/top from Topshop and the same boots. (Summer is yet to arrive here!) Have a lovely night!

AuntOlive Wed 03-Jun-15 22:43:04

Sorry for hijack but can someone please link to some examples of 'nice tops' to wear to this sort of thing! I get flummoxed by tops.

Roseybee10 Thu 04-Jun-15 03:00:12

Agree with pp. could either get away with jeans and heels or a dress. I went for dinner with hubby a few weeks ago and wore a back midi dress, floral blazer and ankle boots.

Loafline Thu 04-Jun-15 08:46:22

Eat out all the time. Our group wear a wide variety of style but one thing that annoys is someone wearing heels who can't walk more than 100yards in them. I go for jeans, a simple top and a great jacket, it's the jacket that makes me look dressed up.

Jemster Thu 04-Jun-15 08:54:21

Thanks for all the replies.
I have problems with my feet so would find heels tricky. I guess flats kind of spoil the 'evening' look a bit though don't they?

monkeysmama Thu 04-Jun-15 09:26:33

This style of shoe is great if you want to wear flats for going out Those are Office but lots of places have similar (Boden, New Look) They work with jeans and dresses.

KatyS36 Thu 04-Jun-15 10:19:32

I wear flats for any evening event where I will be on my feet. My back is more important. I think I scrub up ok and my friends don't judge me on it.

SwedishEdith Thu 04-Jun-15 10:25:52

No, flat shoes are fine. I never wear heels unless a door-to-door do.

squizita Thu 04-Jun-15 10:43:03

I like to dance so often wear "blingy" flats ... patent, cut out, velvet, beading, sequins. .. All look evening - dressy without a heel. grin
I have some gold and black sandals with metal chain/bead details that are little more than flip flops but have even worked with a chiffon dress at a wedding!

squizita Thu 04-Jun-15 10:49:24

For the rest of me - high waist jeans or trousers and a "gypsy" shape top or velvet wrap top. I'm a bit of a retro/gothy/rock dresser btw.
Or a cotton dress with a casual shrug cardie. Not an evening style, just a smart day dress - knee or maxi.

I like a big necklace too ... you can see it over the table unlike shoes! It makes it all look more festive without being ott.

When I'm doing mainstream I like Monsoon and Apricot for texture and beads etc for tops. Accessorise for necklaces. grin

mewkins Thu 04-Jun-15 12:43:22

You see all sorts round here of an evening from 18 year olds in not much to plenty of people in sun dresses with heels or sandals. If you want a more comfy heel how about a wedge sandal? I usually either wear a jersey dress with flats or sandals or skinny or flared jeans with heels. Tops, if you want something simple could go for a plain black or navy fitted tshirt with a fancy necklace? Or else google shell top for something a bit smarter. John lewis have lots of that variety that can be worn in the day too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now