I need a nursing bra intervention! please will someone save me from the mono

(15 Posts)
missmakesstuff Fri 29-May-15 17:55:35

I'm close to giving up on finding a bra that will fit me properly an. I know there are some lovely people on here very knowledgeable about bras...

Ds Is 8 weeks and I'm desperately trying to now not look like a fat lump even though I am and first step is to find a bra that doesn't give me a monoboob!

My measurements, underboob is 33inches and dangleboob is 5'3'' 43inches.

I have tried;
bravado 34h/i - cups too small, monoboob
Royce Sadie - 34jj ok fit but so high up I will end up wearing turtlenecks.
Royce Charlotte - 34j ok fit but monoboob again.
Anita underwired- 34j ok height/cut but centre doesn't sit flat so, cups too small, you've guessed it, monoboob.

I used to wear freya and the fit was good, I am so fed up as I'm carrying extra weight but the only good thing is having Spectacular norks and every bra I try is cut up to the armpit, has material up to the neck or is monoboobtastic.
help.

missmakesstuff Fri 29-May-15 18:06:27

Oops sorry, duplicate thread, stupid phone!

Try the Freya pure in 32h/32gg and maybe 34g/gg.

HazleNutt Fri 29-May-15 19:07:18

Or any other Freya bra in the recommended size, and convert yourself.
Soft cup bras like those Royce ones simply won't offer enough support, and Bravado and Anita skip letters, so will be a lot smaller than Freyas in same size. I am a G at the moment and agree, Bravado H/I is already way too small.

Hazlentt is spot on re converting. Basically the whole " no underwires" thing is nonsense so long as your bras fit so if the pure doesn't work (it's wired) then buying a bra which fits you and converting is totally fine.

ChannelingFlop Fri 29-May-15 19:19:21

I gave up and went to bravissimo and got fitted and asked for soft material that I could hook my boob over the top of.
Had monoboob for 12 months with DD in stupid nursing bras of various makes and have had no trouble with using a normal bra in the last six months with DS

qumquat Fri 29-May-15 19:23:03

I found Elomi underwired the only nursing bra that worked for me (and I tried many of the ones you have tried). Not sure of your bra size but it goes up to a 34H. I had to see the sides to tighten it as I'm a 30 but otherwise perfect. I still wear them now sometimes even though I only bf at bedtime. I bought it from Amplebosom website, they're a great little company.

qumquat Fri 29-May-15 19:24:08

I normally buy all my bras at bravissimo but I was really disappointed with their range of nursing bras.

lucidlady Fri 29-May-15 19:45:32

Heidi Klum does surprisingly good nursing bras - I got fitted for one today at John Lewis. My 30G former mono is now a defined and well supported pair of norks!

FannyFifer Fri 29-May-15 19:48:59

Nursing bras just simply do not offer decent support for those of us with huge boobs.
I wore normal underwire bras, converted a couple, bought a wee kit to do it on EBay.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 29-May-15 19:50:06

Have you tried the Panache Sophie?

domesticslattern Fri 29-May-15 20:40:12

Yes, you need an underwired nursing bra if your boobs have settled ie. stopped changing size massively during the day. If you don’t choose to convert, Anita do some. Not Bravissimo, their choice of nursing bras, as others have said, is woeful.

Blueskies80 Fri 29-May-15 20:50:20

Hot milk nursing bras are good too. Supportive. Think I had to go up a size.

missmakesstuff Sat 30-May-15 00:49:23

Thanks all, some great suggestions. I'm going to convert an old bra first, don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! I'll also check out those suggestions.
it does really wound me up though how all the brands are different sizes and how they seem to assume nursing bras should be all super coverage. I'm just fed up with the endless ordering of tons of sizes, only to send them all back again...
so I guess I should still be looking around the 34j range? Or some have suggested try 32 back? If I'm going to hopefully lose some weight then maybe I should, but would that make me still a j cup? The smallest I've been is a 32hh.

Your measurements suggest a 32GG/H or 34G/GG - you have a 10" difference which is a baseline of a GG, and you then also try the difference between the band and the overbust giving you the 32H and the 34G

Do you have any bras you could try on around these sizes? It could just be that you are someone who measures smaller than you actually need - do you have a 32HH in freya for example which you could try? The maternity bras you have mentioned I think all have non standard sizing - most of them skip the double letters which Freya and other UK brands used. So an Anita J is not a J at all - it's closer to a G.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now