First time self-tanning: what do I need to know?

(16 Posts)
ThomasRichard Thu 21-May-15 11:34:57

I've got the St Tropez mousse. No mitts sad I know I need to exfoliate really well the night before and moisturise, especially my elbows, hands, knees, ankles and feet.

Anything else I need to know so I don't make a mess of it?

Jewels234 Thu 21-May-15 11:56:55

I am a lazy tanner, but find st tropez goes on well without streaking. I would say don't freak out by how dark the colour is before you wash it off!

Twinklestein Thu 21-May-15 12:39:22

Buy some mitts from ebay, they do make a difference.

Make sure the self-tan is tinted otherwise you haven't a hope of avoiding streaks and gaps.

ThomasRichard Thu 21-May-15 13:23:01

Success! I've added mitts to my grocery delivery. Thankyou Tesco.

Do I put it on my face?

BumbleNova Thu 21-May-15 13:36:40

you can do, I would dilute it with moisturiser, say half and half. whatever you do, dont get it in your eyebrows or hair line. the results are comic. slather it on, then rub your eyebrows and hair line with tissue.

the best tip for longevity is to moisterise after you shower it off.

ThomasRichard Thu 21-May-15 13:41:52

I've chickened out and booked a spray tan blush I'm going on holiday and Monday and really don't want to mess it up.

I'll have the mitt and mousse ready for next time though!

Apatite1 Thu 21-May-15 13:48:50

Hah, I can't be bothered either and before a holiday, a spray tan is part of the fun!

iwantgin Thu 21-May-15 14:02:15

If you want to try a simpler option next time - rather than a mousse buy an aerosol spray fake tan. Really hard to mess it up using those. I have a couple which I use when am pasty white.

ThomasRichard Sat 23-May-15 12:25:23

Argh, spray tan person has called in sick and there are no other appointments available sad The tanning mitt came with the shopping today so it looks like a DIY job after all.

TheFutureMrsB Sat 23-May-15 12:29:11

It's easy do not fret!

Pump out 2/3 squirts of mousse onto the mitt and lather it onto your body, I always start at my legs and work my way up. Rub it on gently in circular motions to avoid any streaks.

Have you thought about how your going to do you back??

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 23-May-15 12:35:05

I love that stuff! After dd I had to substitute it for the £2.99 stuff from savers though grin. Don't put clothes on for a good half an hour if you don't need to. I always wear rubber gloves under the mitt too just in case there's a sneaky gap. I have fake bake spray liquid and that always leaks through. You need to work fairly quick or you'll end up with dark patches in places

ThomasRichard Sat 23-May-15 12:37:37

Back confused Good point.

I'm now looking for an appointment at another salon!

TheFutureMrsB Sat 23-May-15 12:42:36

You can put the mitt onto a paddle hair brush and use that, it's a bit tricky but can be done.

TheFutureMrsB Sat 23-May-15 12:43:00

To do your back that is.

ThomasRichard Sat 23-May-15 20:39:45

Right, it is done. Goodness knows what it will look like in the morning. Is there any reason why my hands are green? I followed the instructions here: www.tackyblueeyeshadow.com/2011/01/st-tropez-bronzing-mousse-my-guide-to.html

ThomasRichard Sun 24-May-15 15:50:18

I missed a couple of spots but it generally looks ok. Thanks guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now