What Vitamin supplements do you take for skin/hair, general wellbeing.

(19 Posts)
mumofsnotbags Tue 19-May-15 08:59:11

Im 35 and have noticed a dramatic change recently in my collagen mainly on my cheeks of all places, so I started looking into creams etc, currently using nip & fab radiant wrinkle fix. Skins gone so much worse since ds was born and having had fab long nails all my life I now cant grow them more that a cm!

Just think I need more help so I was looking at collagen tablets too and came across pages and pages of vitamin. Anyone care to name a few I should look into?

So far I've ordered maine collagen and L glutamine (to help with sugar cravings apparently)

Dowser Tue 19-May-15 09:59:24

The best way to deal with sugar cravings is just to not eat it....even a tiny bit as it causes a spike in insulin. Which when is then followed by a low which is when the craving kicks in. Forming a vicious circle.

You get the same effect from white bread, white rice, pasta which is made from wheat , processed food, anything with fructose glucose syrup, fruit juice, too much fruit

I eat very healthily at home and do my best when travelling which we do a fair bit but it's a real challenge.

I'm getting on a bit so I do use supplements as when you get older our bodies don't work as efficiently or food has become so denatured we aren't getting the right quantities of vits and mins

A goog tablet that I took for a while is Gold tablets. They appear to contain everything.

I also take an oral B liquid. I also eat liver occasionally.

I take magnesium oil, which you spray on your skin

Vit D3 is vital. Winter and summer as we don't get enough sunshine even in summer. I just take more in winter

I take a digestive enzyme and a probiotic.

I also take kefir everyday as that is full of probiotics. I make that myself.

Basically get some good quality grass fed meat into you , organic veg if you can. Keep sugar levels down . No fizzy drinks or diet drinks. They just create an acidic body and an alkalised body is optimum for good health.

Dowser Tue 19-May-15 10:01:10

I think it's pointless spending shed loads of money on expensive beauty products if you don't take care of the inside

TheGruffal0 Tue 19-May-15 10:04:01

I've noticed a BIG difference in my skin since having lots of fruit / salad / veg in smoothies and juices every single day. Its more time consuming than a pill but I reckon there are a lot more beneficial chemicals and interactions than you get singling something out...

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 19-May-15 10:04:56

Nothing. I just eat a balanced diet.

TheGruffal0 Tue 19-May-15 10:07:40

This was a massive indulgence but maybe a good option if you want something quick and easy? I of course look like Elle McPherson now grin www.welleco.com

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 19-May-15 10:11:58

Don't bother ingesting collagen in supplement form. There is bugger all actual evidence it has any effect on collagen in your skin. It just gets broken down as a protein (into component parts - individual amino acids) by your gut and used by all of your cells, not specifically by your skin.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 19-May-15 10:15:04

Meat contains quite a lot of collagen anyway, so if you are convinced that is the way to improve skin, you are best of eating it from natural sources.

specialsubject Tue 19-May-15 12:11:54

'bugger all evidence' is a pretty accurate summary.

eat decent food, get outside. If you are between 18 and 65, not pregnant and in normal health, that's al you need.

UmiSays Tue 19-May-15 13:19:37

I have been taking high dose evening primrose oil capsules since January, mainly to try to ease PMT symptoms. I haven't had my usual hormonal monthly breakout of chin zits since Feb, which is good news.

I actually think its worth experimenting a bit yourself with what works and doesn't work for your own skin. Not everything works for everyone.

For example, drinking loads of water does sod all for my skin ( I drink 5-6 small glasses a day, plus herbal tea and decaf coffee anyway...but if I increase that amount, all that happens is I wee loads and feel bloated and a bit sick).

Eating plenty of fish and veg seems to make my skin brighter.
Also - exercise! An hour in the gym is better than any expensive facial. My skin is brighter and clearer instantly. If I exercise outdoors, even better.

whereismagic Tue 19-May-15 22:13:25

What made the biggest difference for me was Lambert's omega oils fortified with vitamin D. I also take zinc during cold months, magnesium when stressed and ubiquinone for energy.

mumofsnotbags Wed 20-May-15 07:01:37

Thanks everyone.

I do eat quite well its just PMT time the old chocolate cravings start then they're hard to kick.

I agree though I notice a massive difference when i've exercised, I too take evening primrose oil for pmt and have noticed a huge difference in using it, just trying to branch out to others now as Im impressed so far with just the EPO.

I'm trying the collagen also for joint pain, I suffer from severe neck problems and dr last time mentioned it to me.

EuphemiaCoxton Wed 20-May-15 07:06:22

Cod liver oil. My sister swears her hair us shinier on it

netty36 Wed 20-May-15 07:20:24

Fish oil, high dose of evening primrose, wheatgrass, vitamin b3 and folic acid and biotin. My skin, hair and nails are much stronger and longer...my skin is clearer..and my pmt has hugely improved.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 20-May-15 08:03:57

I take-menopacehmm cod liver oil, pro biotics and high dose magnesium.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 20-May-15 08:08:17

Euphemia, I've seen a huge difference in my skin and hair since taking cod liver oil.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 20-May-15 08:13:23

I agree with cutting out sugar, it's hard but for me once I get past day 3 I'm ok. I still eat fruit but nothing processed. I did really well last year and lost 2 stone doing this, felt fantastic then lapsed and realised I felt awful and had dreadful PMT cravings again, if I cut sugar I barely get them. I'm back doing it again and even after 2 weeks I feel so much better.

Now I'm perimenpausal I can be 2 or 3 weeks late or just miss a period all together but can still have PMT cravings so I really need to watch the sugar intake or I can end up eating sugar for 2 weeks at a time!

prepperpig Wed 20-May-15 08:18:26

I've recently started taking:

high dose vitamin d oral spray (although DS2 has discovered he likes this and it keeps going missing!)
a good multivitamin
evening primrose oil

I'm going to add things gradually to try to work out what makes a difference and what doesn't.

Coastingit Wed 20-May-15 09:00:10

Following - was going to post an identical thread!

I take omega 3 oils at the moment and was taking a pregnancy multivitamin. Now baby is out in the open I want to switch to a different multivitamin, can anyone recommend one? For vanity / skin / hair mainly but also overall health. I keep sugar to a minimum already and eat high protein and fat.

Would WellWoman be a good option for a 35yo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now