I need a complete makeover, where do I start?

(10 Posts)
LMGTFY Mon 18-May-15 10:12:40

I have completely lost my way, after turning 30 a few years ago, gaining 2 stone, having some very tough times which have passed but left their mark and generally just being a working wife/mum I look in the mirror and it's a disaster! My clothes are all supermarket cheapies that do nothing for me and my hair, whilst long and healthy, has lost any style! I've no idea what would look good and what's acceptable for my age/circumstances so have no idea how to fix me up! Any tips please on where to start?!

Reginafalangie Mon 18-May-15 10:28:36

Start with your hair. I always feel better trying on clothes when I have good hair smile

Next decide on what types of clothes you want.

Casual wear jeans/linen trousers/comfy shoes or trainers.
Smart day wear well tailored trousers/skirts/blouses/tops/knitwear/courts/ boots/flats.
Occasion wear dresses/smart suits/heels

I wear a lot of supermarket clothes that I team with more expensive pieces such as a nice blouse from Sainsbury's with a more expensive skirt.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Mon 18-May-15 10:35:58

Join Pinterest and make boards for hair styles you like, outfits you like and makeup you like smile

Lovewearingjeans Mon 18-May-15 10:43:56

I would say hair too. Do you wear make up?

ImBrian Mon 18-May-15 10:48:13

Sort out hair, make up and nails. That'll make you feel better straight away. Then as another poster said, find a couple of jackets/tops that you really like and are good quality and go from there.

LMGTFY Mon 18-May-15 11:49:32

Thanks, I know I need to make a hair appointment but I'm a little nervous of the hairdressers (silly, I know, it's only hair and will grow!), I've never thought of look I g at styles on pinterest so will give that a try, might make it easier to articulate what I want, my last hairdresser convinced me to grow my side fringe out as I don't think she could work out what I wanted!
Strangely my makeup hasn't fallen by the wayside albeit unchanged for years, my nails look rubbish though, last manicure was years ago! Perhaps I should tackle that too!
As for clothes, I'm not what I should wear! I live in skinny (aka stretchy cos I am tubby and stopped shopping!) jeans and a long top with boots or converse at the mo, and for work ugly trousers, tops and long cardis. I constantly convince myself I'll lose weight and buy amazing clothes but that isn't working! I used to always wear skirts and heels, think I need to buy a skirt again!

Reginafalangie Mon 18-May-15 11:56:03

I found this website good for deciding what clothes look good together.

Here

LMGTFY Mon 18-May-15 13:07:44

Wow Regina there's loads of gorgeous outfits on there I'd love to he able to wear!

somethingmorepositive Mon 18-May-15 16:38:40

The Into Mind blog has a lot of ideas for wardrobe planning. Also, try searching on Pinterest for "capsule wardrobe."

LMGTFY Mon 18-May-15 20:36:55

Now that looks like a website for people who don't have clothes that are several years old hanging in their wardrobe! I really need to up my game!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now