Best wellies?

(24 Posts)
cashmerecardigans Mon 18-May-15 07:41:04

My Hunter wellies have developed a massive crack right across the sole so are now useless. Bit disappointed as they were not cheap for wellies, although I've had them for about 8 years. Any thughts on if it's worth replacing with the same or something different? I use them for dog walking mainly.
Thanks

MehsMum Mon 18-May-15 07:49:53

Watching this thread with interest: I have a pair of cheapo Dunlops which do the dog-walking job okay but are bloody cold in winter and not quite big enough for extra thick socks - it's a fight to get them on, which I don't need when herdingDC and dogs out of the door in a rush in the mornings.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 18-May-15 07:54:07

I say Dunlops. I dog walk with a group of friends and we all now have Dunlops. Between us we've tried everything, Hunters, Joules,. Ok, haven't tried anything really expensive like Le Chameau or whatever they are!

Dunlops are the only ones ive had which never leak. In winter I wear them with 2tog socks.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 18-May-15 07:54:37

Muck boots are meant to be good if you don't need the height of wellies.

Silverstreaks Mon 18-May-15 07:55:18

Have you looked at leather boots? I was bought some Dublin River boots for dog walking. I love them. They are warm, waterproof and easy to clean and just so much cosier and better fit than wellie boots. Here's an example different to mine but just to give you an idea. If you fancy leather ones shop around there are so many brands and a whole range of prices.

cashmerecardigans Mon 18-May-15 08:07:02

Oooh, silverstreaks, I do like those leather ones. Hard to believe they are actually completely waterproof! I struggle with cold feet, so anything a bit cosier sounds a winner. I'll look at Dunlop too, thanks

cressetmama Mon 18-May-15 09:26:16

Le Chameau are warmer than Hunter or Dunlop and have more solid traction. Mine are into their fourth year and still unworn, and I use them almost every day in winter. Yes, I winced when I paid for them, but I wouldn't go back. The leather ones are a bit of a cliche around here, and even more expensive!

cashmerecardigans Mon 18-May-15 09:39:46

I'd seen the Le Chameau and, like you, winced at the price, but maybe an investment buy? I do love the leather ones and have now looked at Dublin and Dubarry, but worry that as I have a high instep they may not fit. I also struggle as I have skinny calves so some wellies just flap about, making a very unattractive noise!

cressetmama Mon 18-May-15 10:06:10

DH bought a pair of the Dubarry -- don't ask me why, except he had a credit note -- and finds them hot and difficult to get on and off, and on DS they flap around noisily.

wildfig Mon 18-May-15 10:15:55

I have a pair of neoprene Le Chameau with the rubber zips, which make them so much easier to get on and off when it's muddy. I wear them every single day for dog walking (mud in winter; knee high nettles in summer) and they look new after two years of constant use. They're not cheap, but agricultural types round here either have unbranded wellies from the farmshop, or Le Chameau on account of their durability. And in pay-per-wear terms, they're already cheaper than most of my wardrobe...

cashmerecardigans Mon 18-May-15 10:25:37

Thanks Wildfig, which type of Le Chameau do you have - is it the Chasseur? I've just looked and they seem to do a slimfit one too, which would be good for me. I've also seen lovely leather Jamesons with a zip.

wildfig Mon 18-May-15 10:41:16

I have these ones Le Chameau Chasseurnord in the bloke's version - I think they do come up quite narrow, as the nice man in the shop told me that 'quite a few ladies go for the men's boot' as there's more room for jeans. And in my case, a pair of prop forward calves.

Before this pair, I had the standard neoprene Le Chameau which lasted me about five years, again with daily dog-walking use and a paid of thick socks inside in winter. The grip is great, and they're comfy. General consensus out in the Rural Wellie Belt seems to be that Hunters are festival fashion boots not as good as they used to be, and Dubarrys are stylish, but not the most comfortable for a long walk. Muckboots are also worth a look.

cashmerecardigans Mon 18-May-15 10:55:14

I agree re Hunters. Mine really haven't lasted well. One has a completely cracked sole, the other has a split on the side. I'm very tempted by the Le Chameau (not mad on the green but will survive). i do love these, but I appear to have entered a different league cost-wise!

Sonotkylie Mon 18-May-15 12:38:05

Muck boots are brilliant comfortable, and so warm in the winter. I tried others but they were not as warm. I am on my second pair, worn every day for dog walking, garden, horse care, living in the country stuff. The first pair lasted 5 years before developing a crack in the ankle on the neoprene. Surfdome usually has them on offer and has free delivery and returns (returns possibly via Collect +)

paxtecum Mon 18-May-15 13:01:29

I think eight years for wellies that are worn most days is pretty good going.

cornflower123 Mon 18-May-15 15:34:54

I have these country boots. Only had them a year, so don't know how they will last, but they are really really comfortable (and great for slim calved people). Highly recommend them. They were expensive, but if you use them every day, might be worth it.

roverover Mon 18-May-15 16:57:47

I would also recommend muck boots. Best wellies I've ever had. I have the ones that have the neoprene around the calf and are the height of normal wellies. relatively expensive but have lasted years and many many miles!

Equimum Mon 18-May-15 17:17:44

As a horse owner who spends half the winter knee high in mud, I love my Aigle insulated wellies. They come in different calf widths and are a little cheaper than Le Chameau (although not really a "budget" alternative). They do, however, last for many years. Alternatively, if you don't need the height, I'd definitely agree with muck boots. They tend to be relatively cheap and long lasting, as well as comfortable.

cashmerecardigans Mon 18-May-15 17:57:38

Thanks so much - lots of great suggestions here, much appreciated

MelonMelon Tue 19-May-15 11:19:51

I'd recommend Aigle. They are rubber not plastic and have got me comfortably through the muddiest of Glastonburys!

carrie74 Tue 19-May-15 14:16:15

I've been really happy with my Hunters, but if I had to wear them every day, I'd need something warmer I think. H has Aigle wellies which he loves, but I've no idea if they're warmer - we both wear welly socks with them.

Theknacktoflying Tue 19-May-15 14:26:10

I have Hunters with wellie socks and a boot jack. Fab!

TheGruffal0 Tue 19-May-15 14:42:09

I have had several pairs of muck boots crack across the neoprene in different places within one season of wearing, I previously had a pair that lasted forever, maybe I am unlucky, maybe they have changed in quality, but I will be looking at another brand.

MyFirstName Tue 19-May-15 15:51:19

[[http://www.uttings.co.uk/c466-footwear/brand=toggi/>>

I second leather wellies - I have toggi "country boots" like these - bought them from a local equestrian shop. Love, love, love them. Can, and do, wear them all day without cold feet or bunched up rubber rubbing my ankles/shins. They do a wide fit as well if you have calf muscles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now