Nail varnish top and base coat recommendations please

(14 Posts)
Citybaby Sun 17-May-15 10:34:16

Hello, please can you recommend decent base and top coats for nail varnish please? I've wasted to much time on buying cheap ones that don't actually work, I am ready to take the plunge and spend some money if needed.
This summer I want happy pretty feet!

Euphemia Sun 17-May-15 10:36:54

Sally Hansen base coat - good for filling in ridges. Seche Vite top coat - pricey but excellent.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 17-May-15 10:39:28

No 7 base and top coat. Better than any of the expensive ones I've tried.

plentyofshoes Sun 17-May-15 10:52:26

Rimmel 60 second clear polish. An emergency buy, but very impressed.

PearlieQueen Sun 17-May-15 11:02:29

Seche Vite base and top coat - the best there is! Around £8 a bottle

Mumstudentbum Sun 17-May-15 11:03:39

Seche vite top coat allllll the way!! It lasts like a gel and dries in seconds, literally. I would never use anything else x

Citybaby Sun 17-May-15 11:30:55

Thank you! Seche vite it is then and I can get boots points, bonus!

rockybalboa Sun 17-May-15 13:27:10

I used the Seche Vite base and top coats but still never managed to get more than about 4 days out of my manicure even with making sure I capped the nail. Given up and bought my own gel lamp now.

Citybaby Mon 18-May-15 07:39:49

I'd like to try gel nails, I actually only a few doors from a nail salon that does them, but I worry about the upkeep. I can find 5 minutes every week to fix my nails but not an hour to go to the salon sadly.

rockybalboa Mon 18-May-15 09:40:51

Have a look at this thread Citybaby. my foray into home gel nails

ImBrian Mon 18-May-15 09:46:36

Seche vite top coat and I use mostly opi varnishes. I can get almost a week out of them.

goodasitgets Mon 18-May-15 10:19:21

I have tried loads from no 7 to seche, but this is my new favourite.
rainbow-connection.co.uk/collections/topbasecoats/products/g-g-hk-girl-top-coat
Polish seems to last ages with it. My holographic polish did 5 days with no chips and I type for 12hrs a day!

FreeButtonBee Mon 18-May-15 11:03:02

Essie first base as base coat

Seche Vite top coat.

I can get a week out of this and I have 2 yo twins, like to garden without gloves on. It even survived most of a week on the beach in Cornwall recently with plenty of sandcastle building.

MrsBattersby Mon 18-May-15 11:43:43

Am I the only one who found Seche Vite crap?! I put it on using the method advised (ie. When polish is still wet) and it just peeled withing an hour! Chucked it in the bin and went back to my old faithful Barry M 3 in 1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now