Swimsuits for tall but very slender 10 year old.

(10 Posts)
SirVixofVixHall Wed 13-May-15 14:04:23

My dd is ten, tall, but very thin and small framed- on most clothing measurement charts she is like a five year old, apart from her height. I have always bought her Petit Bateau swimsuits as they've been the only ones that fitted, but this year the age 10 is a bit short in the body but a bit too wide, and the age 12 would be very wide. Gap is huge on her. I ordered a crewcuts swimsuit from the States, just because it was pretty, but it is really baggy, and again, not quite long enough either. So are there any makes that come up very slim? Lands End do a slim swimsuit, but only in the US range which would be a pain if it doesn't fit, (she has had them before and they have been ok though, so i will try that as a last resort). i'm just hoping there is something in the UK. I sometimes take in skirts etc for her, but a swimming costume is more tricky! She needs a costume for school swimming, they don't allow bikinis.

gallicgirl Wed 13-May-15 14:07:09

Would school allow bikini bottoms and a tankini?

How about speedo?

imjustahead Wed 13-May-15 14:08:24

the only place i found something for tall slender dd, suitable for school swimming was in a sports shop, a ladies size 8 suit with the shorts style legs, and cross over back. It stayed on!

MilkThistle187 Wed 13-May-15 14:13:13

US labels are always big, go for a European brand.

Maybe this from Zara, who usually come up small.

Massimo Dutti is another label that might be worth a try.

SirVixofVixHall Wed 13-May-15 14:20:23

I like the Zara and Massimo Dutti. I wouldn't have thought of them, I thought MD only did women's things. A women's size 8 suit would literally hang off her, she wouldn't even fit an adult size 4. She has a 22 inch chest, 20 inch waist, but she's about 4'8" tall.
She probably could have a tankini but the problem is the same, if the top is long enough it is hugely baggy, which just looks horrible as she looks like a starved child rather than a lovely slender reed.

Shesaysso Wed 13-May-15 14:23:00

My ten year old daughter has the same physique and she wears a Slazenger boy leg swimsuit (the bottom half looks like shorts). I think they look slightly odd but she loves it and all her friends want one. It suits her tall, skinny shape.

Weebirdie Wed 13-May-15 14:23:16

She sounds very much like my granddaughter and we usually just have to go with trial and error.

Weebirdie Wed 13-May-15 14:24:21

And yes to the Slazenger boy leg swimsuit - her mum wore similar when she was the same age.

Micah Wed 13-May-15 14:28:58

Sportswear- speedo, Maru, tyr and the like.

If she's 10 she'll probably need a 28" or a 30".

Children who do sport are generally a different build to those who don't. Stuff tends to be longer in the body for various reasons smile. Plus properly designed Lycra suits will stretch correctly.

Try proswimwear , mailsports, swims hop and the like.

SirVixofVixHall Wed 13-May-15 15:47:16

Oh, ok, I'd never thought of sportswear. Would a 28" be ok then even though she is only 22" or 23" around the chest? I'll go off and have a look at slazenger and speedo. It does help to be able to return things, I have to shop online as we live in a rural backwater...
I was the same shape when I was her age (and would be now if I lost the podge!!!) but I wasn't tall until much later, which made it easier. And I am 51, I think swimsuits in the 60s and 70s were slimmer cut than now. Although my first bikini, when I was ten, had to be taken in rather a lot, I do remember that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now