Camping wardrobe

(26 Posts)
ClarissaTheTeenageWitch Sat 09-May-15 21:24:41

Most of the time I just wear vintage dresses, but we camp a lot in the summer and I really need some more practical, but fairly stylish stuff. Looking for casual trousers, tshirts and tops, hoodies and a pair of shorts (hardest bit!) Any recommendations for where to look? I never usually buy stuff new so v.out of touch!

GammonAndEgg Sat 09-May-15 21:43:12

I would definitely recommend a decent pair of walking trousers, I love Bergaus or North Face but you can get cheaper. They dry very quickly! You can also get a pair that unzip to shorts but I prefer to keep covered up!

Most people I see when camping seem to be in pyjama pants, flip flops and a massive hoodie!

travailtotravel Sat 09-May-15 22:18:39

I tend to go cheap for most of this - agree a good pair of walking trousers makes a differnce, but for other camping attire, I head for George at Asda, Tu in Sainsburys and the like. I don't wear this stuff most of the time either, so find it easier to go cheap and cheerful

2fedup Sun 10-May-15 08:41:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CatsRule Sun 10-May-15 11:47:43

I go camping too...next big trip in August. I tend to wear my normal clothes...dresses, jeans, skirts, linen trousers, sandals etc. I did look around last year and see everyone else wearing walking trousers, long shorts but not sure I can bring myself to do it grin

I don't see why you need to dress differently just because you're camping. I also take hair straighteners...maybe I'm in the minority grin

2fedup Sun 10-May-15 12:14:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YoungJoseph Sun 10-May-15 13:32:43

I tend to wear my normal clothes as well and yours sound fine to me.

The main problem with camping (at least when we go) is getting things dry. So I avoid taking heavy fabrics or thick waistbands such as jeans. Also I prefer cropped trousers as they are less lightly to get wet at the bottom and wick the water to your waist.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Sun 10-May-15 14:04:42

I'd invest in a decent jacket & wellies or walking shoes. I'm going away tomorrow & taking 2 pairs of harem pants, jeans to travel in, joggys for canoeing & walking and a bunch of t-shirts. My wellies, Vans, flip flops and my waterproofs.

ZaraW Sun 10-May-15 15:50:31

I wear outdoor gear when camping Craghoppers shirts can be dried in less than hour and don't need ironing have built in SPF and bug protector. A lot of my stuff is by Scandinavian outdoor brands Noronna or Fjalraven as they are functional but well designed no way I could wear skirts or dresses camping too impractical as in the UK we are usually on our bikes or hiking in the Peak District. Flip flops are invaluable for the shower blocks as is a microfiber towel. Next trip is Botswana can't wait.

One of the things I love about camping no need to fuss with hair and make up.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 10-May-15 20:40:55

I mainly wear my usual clothes - jeans etc. A hoody is one thing I don't usually wear that is pretty handy when camping, I'm on the lookout for a new one at the moment but haven't seen anything I like yet. Ditto a pair of shorts. Once you're set up don't see why you can't wear your lovely dresses but perhaps something a bit sturdier for pitching the tent might be handy? And trousers for the evenings.

I do have a decent North Face waterproof jacket and a proper fleece though. Wellies are handy but not essential.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-May-15 20:49:19

I wear normal clothes, but yes to cropped trousers; I wear cropped pjs to stop the damp grass getting my trousers wet on bathroom trips.

Pjs you can be seen in public in are the only important factor IMO.

Clogs/garden shoes/crocs for slipping on. I use my agile clogs from Scats.

Big jumper/hoodie is a must.
I use ponchos/wraps for in the tent but be aware near bbqs or fires.

Fluffy socks.

Non iron & quick dry clothes. Eg crinkle shirts.

I favour trousers over skirts as I might not be able to defoliate legs.

But other than that your usual stuff.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-May-15 20:50:48

Oh, and if you're taking DC, pack them more clothes than you'll think they'll need.
hmm

BlueEyedWonder Sun 10-May-15 23:52:25

I also tend to wear my most casual clothes:
Birkenstocks, Havs, Converse or wellies
Distressed boyfriend jeans, denim shorts, linen trousers,
Cotton sundresses
Ts, vests, long sleeve bretons
Oversize jumper, military style jacket, waterproof

PrincessShcherbatskaya Mon 11-May-15 08:40:12

I second warm socks and a really warm fleece or hoodie, even in hot summer it gets freezing in a tent first thing in the morning!! Nothing worse than getting up for an early morning wee without a really warm jumper to put on! Other than that it'll depend on the weather but a good waterproof and willies probably mandatory in this country.

PrincessShcherbatskaya Mon 11-May-15 08:41:17

Ha ha wellies not willies! grin

Delphine31 Mon 11-May-15 08:49:58

Excellent typo Princess grin

Another one here who wears pretty much my normal clothes, just the more casual end of things. Skirts and vest tops.

Agree with pp - a hoody and decent PJs are the absolute essentials.

Other tip - take an old flannel to stand on when you get out of the shower.

fieldfare Mon 11-May-15 08:57:28

Shorts - gap has some nice boyfriend style ones that actually aren't that baggy and are a decent leg length, I'm too fat in the thigh to be flashing the entire campsite.

I don't tend to worry about style while camping tbh, I'll take a couple of nice sun dresses in case we go for a meal somewhere nice but other than that it's hoodies, jeans, tshirts and shorts. Couple pairs of linen trousers and a couple of nice tops, flip flops, converse and walking boots.

Izzy24 Mon 11-May-15 09:01:12

I second Seasalt. Can't do links but lots of Seasalt on John Lewis website.

Twirlwirlywoo Mon 11-May-15 09:02:13

I wear a mix of shorts, trousers, cropped jeans/trousers and dresses.

I tend to buy cheap stuff for camping - based on the fact it does become dirty and more chance of getting stained and not always somewhere to tackle getting the dirt/marks out quickly.

I wear a lot of sun dresses in summer and do so whilst camping, just not on arrival and departure day.

I still have 2 pairs of crocs that I know look hideous but love the ease of them for camping but then I dont allow shoes on in the tent so like something I can slip on and off quickly.

Lottie4 Mon 11-May-15 10:21:20

We do loads of camping. I don't splash out on anything expensive - jeans are practical and can still look good with a nice t-shirt and accessories - if we're camping for about 3 days I tend to take a pair of jeans, pair of cropped trousers and shorts. If you don't find a hoody, a fleece or heavyweight cardigan will keep you warm. Second the pjs, you need something warm that isn't see through!

If it's going to be wet (we've camped in a met office weather warning before so are serious campers) then you need a waterproof coat, plenty of socks (my socks often get wet) and waterproof trainers/boots.

ReallyBadParty Mon 11-May-15 10:24:31

I just wear my normal clothes too: dresses and leggings, easy to add layers too, and leggings dry quicker than jeans.

I tried to look all outdoorsy at one point, but just looked and felt weird and not like myself. So dresses and lippy it is.m

Lambzig Mon 11-May-15 10:32:28

I went camping for the first time last year and asked the same question as I don't usually dress in terribly practical clothes. I have to say the most useful thing that I bought were a couple of hoodies from Uniqlo, very cheap, lovely quality and super cosy for sitting around in the evening after putting the kids to bed and walking on cold beaches (we managed to pick the only non-sunny week last summer to go camping).

Pantsalive Mon 11-May-15 10:50:27

Just to say if anyone is looking for sensible length shorts, Dorothy Perkins is usually a winner. I've had a few pairs of their knee-length ones over the years, here.

travailtotravel Mon 11-May-15 10:55:23

A pair of thick opaque tights useful for slipping under long trousers if its duper chilly. Actually, this could be a use for footless tights ....

ArcheryAnnie Mon 11-May-15 11:02:29

Whatever you do, don't take jeans. They are an absolute bugger to get dry once wet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now