Has anyone successfully shrunk jeans?

(18 Posts)
lurkingaround Sat 09-May-15 13:59:50

By washing in a 60C wash and a hot tumble? Or by any other method? Did it work or were they misshapen?

I have a pair of jeans that I love but they're too big by about 1 size. Maybe a bit less. Would love some advice.

Alwaysrushingaround Sat 09-May-15 18:28:22

My friend does this just using the rumble dryer
I haven't tried it as my sister "borrowed" my slightly too big jeans and they fit her perfectly grin

Alwaysrushingaround Sat 09-May-15 18:28:53

*tumble

ThingummyJigg Sat 09-May-15 18:35:09

I love 'rumble dryer!'

I washed my too-big jeans on a normal wash but a long hot rumble shrank them. Sadly, I have regained the weight I lost, and there is no way of enlarging jeans, other than buying the same pair in the same size, just not hot rumbling them to buggery.

<let's get ready to rumble, let's get ready to ru-um-ble...>

Greengardenpixie Sat 09-May-15 18:52:20

I washed my next jeans and then they went through the tumble dryer by accident. Definetly shrunk them as they are also short! sad

burnishedsilver Sat 09-May-15 18:57:18

I always use the dryer so I buy things a bit too big to allow for shrinkage. Jeans in particular always shrink. They'll often continue to shrink slightly for a few washes. I think they're nicer afterwards.

RingtheBells Sat 09-May-15 19:01:34

Jeans tend to shrink over a few weeks, though it does depend on the make, Next definitely and also some M&S. Sadly its usually in the length and as I am quite tall I need the length.

lurkingaround Sat 09-May-15 19:01:48

Oh thanks!

And when you shrank them, did they shrink evenly IYKWIM, or bits here and there?

Maybe just hot rumblewink first and see?

RingtheBells Sat 09-May-15 19:03:49

Mine have always shrunk evenly, as long as you don't mind loosing some length.

HoneyDragon Sat 09-May-15 19:08:30

Yes. I can shrink jeans very easily with Cadburys Creme Eggs grin

SillyBlueHat Sat 09-May-15 19:12:45

I always tumble my jeans and they have never shrunk!

lurkingaround Sat 09-May-15 19:26:50

grin I've done that myself many times HoneyD, would rather avoid it <as I tuck into a few hmm Minstrels> Hah. I may not need to rumble.

I haven't a lot of length to lose, maybe 2cm. Would I lose more than that I wonder? I'm v fond of these jeans. Will I won't I. Dither.

bishboschone Sat 09-May-15 20:50:33

You would need to wash at 90 to shrink really... Jeans wash easily at 60 but we are brainwashed into washing everything at 40 or less .. The tumble dryer will shrink but this ca be temporary and they loosen with wear..

lurkingaround Sat 09-May-15 21:09:26

Oh. Well I've nothing to lose so doing a 60 and a hot tumble. These jeans must grow a size over a day's wear.v annoying. Thank you all.

Greengardenpixie Sat 09-May-15 21:49:51

Well mine said do not tumble dry. They were brand new black jeans going through their first wash. I put them in the dryer and they had elastine in them and they have definetly shrunk!

pootlebug Sat 09-May-15 21:51:52

My 28" waist levis fit much the same as my 27" ones after the former had several trips in the tumble dryer. Don't normally tumble jeans but did it deliberately as they were too big.

ShadowsInTheDarkness Sat 09-May-15 21:52:12

My mum said that when skinnys were in back in the 80s she and her friends used to sit in a hot bath wearing said jeans and they'd shrink to the exact fit of their legs ... Might liven up a Saturday night? grin

Alwaysrushingaround Sun 10-May-15 00:03:55

Thingummy gringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now