Brown skin patches on face from pregnancy

(11 Posts)
Madamecastafiore Fri 08-May-15 16:28:10

DD 18 months and my face, cheeks mainly, are covered in what looks like tea stains!

Anything I can do to get rid of them?

Didn't have them at all with first 2 kids.

FrugalFashionista Fri 08-May-15 17:47:30

It's called melasma or mask of pregnancy, or hyperpigmentation if you have smaller brown flecks, it's a hormone related melanin disorder. Nothing dangerous, sometimes tricky to treat, but worth consulting a dermatologist.

Mine faded - they looked like a bad prison tattoo - but I have been hyperpigmentation prone ever since.

Buy SPF 50 and wear it every day.

LoadsaBlusher Fri 08-May-15 17:56:48

I also have this after having two kids
I now use factor 50 face cream all the time, trilby hat whenever I'm out the back garden with kids etc.
I sat out in the sun a few weeks ago and totally forgot and it has made the patch on my forehead really bad again.
I use Veil cover cream to disguise the worst bits then normal make up on top.
I do get very paranoid about it though as my face can look like it has dirty patches on it .

Honsandrevels Fri 08-May-15 18:09:04

I've got brown patches too. I was ignoring it but it has become so noticeable so I've recently spent a fortune on a Clinique serum designed to help. It has faded the massive patch on my forehead but hasn't done anything to the moustache effect patch on my upper lip. I'm hoping it'll fade too as it looks awful.

FrugalFashionista Fri 08-May-15 18:22:46

Yes the tragedy is that just a few hours out in the sun with suboptimal protection undoes months of fading... So a high SPF and a hat are super important. I forgot to put spf on on a rainy morning, it was sunny in the afternoon, I worked in a cafe outdoors, and here we go again wink

Mine forms charming tear tattoo like lines that connect the corners of my eyes to my mouth.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 08-May-15 18:28:31

Yup same here, I have found an improvement with a light application with gycolic acid and the serum from Olay regenerist

Hassled Fri 08-May-15 18:30:15

I had it really badly after DC4 - it did fade eventually. I was sporting a very attractive brown moustache for a while, though, so that was fun.

And just when you think it's all over you hit the menopause and it comes back. Hurrah! hmm

Madamecastafiore Fri 08-May-15 18:35:15

Oh gawd. I have a factor 50 but usually just use 30, I'll step it up!

Which Clinique serum are you using? Is it the free with the magazine one?

Honsandrevels Fri 08-May-15 18:43:23

I'm using Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector. I'm not sure if it is worth it as I've only been using it 3 weeks but that's the free one let me know please!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 08-May-15 19:13:57

Can you use laser on it?.

wiltingfast Fri 08-May-15 21:26:19

Had this too, right down my cheekbones, looked like I'd been crying. They fade away eventually, high spf helps in the meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now