So annoyed with underwires ALWAYS coming out of the cup!

(32 Posts)
alwayshungry100 Thu 07-May-15 04:33:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoppityVoosh Thu 07-May-15 05:41:43

Do you machine wash them? I'm always amazed at how many people disregard the washing instructions! Saying that, I think you're right and the quality of most clothes has went down in recent years.

HoppityVoosh Thu 07-May-15 05:43:18

I seen on another thread you can buy little things to go over the edge of the wire to stop this happening. I can't remember what they're called but they're from amazon.

Nettletheelf Thu 07-May-15 05:46:47

Wash them in a pillowcase. Never fails. My underwires don't come under much strain during wear, though. I can barely fill a B cup.

Aussiemum78 Thu 07-May-15 05:48:01

I use a wash bag, costs about $4 and you can wash 2-3 at once.

Jackieharris Thu 07-May-15 05:56:57

It's the washing machine that does it!

VacantExpression Thu 07-May-15 09:34:13

I put a thread on about this the other day. I've ordered myself the things to put on the end of the wires from ebay, am hoping they fix it because my sewing isn't up to much.
Oddly for me its only my bravissimo bras, my ASDA two for a tenner bras are fine in the wash but uncomfy

Zorion Thu 07-May-15 10:02:56

it is machine washing, and wearing the wrong size that does it.

If you're in the wrong size and they strain, the wires move about a lot, rubbing the seam where they're sewn in.

In the machine, heat makes the metal hot which can melt the plastic tips on the end of the wire. Or, it bashes them around a lot, bashing the plastic tips. Heat also makes the fabric expand and contract, further strain etc etc. Also, any meltable fabric starts to break down as well. Eventually you will get a wire coming out.

You could try cold washing, but you are still exposing the bra to the tossing and tumbling of the machine.

I do machine wash mine, but as the washing instructions are very clear it would totally be my fault if they did break.

If it's happening to you a lot then it is probably a sizing issue tbh. Everyone gets the odd one from time to time, bit lots suggest a problem. If the cups aren't perfect then the wires don't sit right which seems to strain/twist them and make them escape.

I'm guilty of machine washing too, but in a lingerie bag at 30 degrees which doesn't seem to cause too many problems.

DayLillie Thu 07-May-15 11:05:17

I used to wash them on delicate synthetic cycle and now have a hand wash cycle at 30 degrees that I used.

I have only had one wire come out, ever, and that was a Warner bra which was worn out and on its last legs, because you can't get them any more, and it was my favourite sad

juneybean Thu 07-May-15 11:06:11

This used to happen to me when I was wearing the wrong size but now that I'm fitted correctly it hasn't happened.

ChablisChic Thu 07-May-15 11:58:54

Another reason for not putting them in the machine (unless they're in a bag or pillowcase)is that the wire can come out and jam in the drum, causing an expensive repair (thanks DD2).

cressetmama Thu 07-May-15 12:23:10

Always use a lingerie bag, and a gentle wash. I've never lost a wire, except in a Bravissimo halter top, which I disliked anyway, and my bras seem to last several years.

FujimotosElixir Thu 07-May-15 12:29:31

I get this all the bloody time!I wondered if its cheap bras but can cup size be an issue too ?

alwayshungry100 Thu 07-May-15 12:46:29

alwayshungry100 Thu 07-May-15 12:47:24

Probably a good plan - measure as per this link and let me know the numbers

It could also be a shape issue - even if the size is theoretically right the shape might be wrong so the cups might be too shallow etc. Have a look at your breasts and work out whether they are:
-fuller on top or bottom, or balanced
-soft, firm or otherwise!
-whether they are close together in the centre
-how wide they are i.e. how far round under your armpits the come

Also have a look at the fit of the current one - the link describes what good look likes - and tell me how they look and what size they are

Fuji cup size and shape can both be problems. If the wire isn't sitting flat against your chest, or is sitting on breast tissue at the side, or is lifting etc then that makes them much more likely to poke out.

Touch wood, I haven't lost a bra wire in about 5 years.

alwayshungry100 Thu 07-May-15 14:34:01

alwayshungry100 Thu 07-May-15 14:35:18

alwayshungry100 Thu 07-May-15 14:41:29

Your measurements would suggest a 32F. Which isn't much more cup volume than your current bras (1 cup size higher) but enough to make a difference and the smaller band will give better support.

Moulded cup bras are very difficult to get a good fit with - they can't adjust or adapt to your body shape at all. I would put money on the fact that these ones probably don't have enough fullness at the bottom of the cup either (they rarely do). If you take your bra off, are the marks from the wire in the crease right underneath your breast tissue or further down?

For wide bottom heavy boobs about the bets plunge bras are the Bravissimo Satine and those made by Curvy Kate. In general curvy kate will probably be a good brand for you as it suits breasts which are relatively wide and shallow, and often bottom heavy too. However...the comfiest bras are not going to be cleavage bras. With your shape a push up/cleavage bra is basically working against your natural boob shape and trying to force them together. Fine for a night out, but I think you would probably find your breasts quite tender wearing them every day. I'd hazard a guess that more comfortable day to day bras would probably be Freya (their balcony/plunge balcony cuts) as they have a shape which sounds quite like yours - some might have too much upper fullness so it will be a bit trial and error. I think you'd also like a lot of Bravissimo own brand bras like the Alana. Other good options would be half cups like the Freya Patsy, Bravissimo Mademoiselle, Curvy Kate Tease Me, Cleo Maddie or Cleo Juna. Half cups are great if you lack upper fullness as you don't get that issue where the top half of the cup gapes away from you.

alwayshungry100 Fri 08-May-15 00:14:06

alwayshungry100 Fri 08-May-15 09:26:17

alwayshungry100 Fri 08-May-15 09:28:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now