It's pedicure time and I have a yellow nail

(20 Posts)
alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 21:41:40

Sorry, it's gross, I think it must be a fungal thing. Any quick cures, I need to paint them soon?

cuntyMcCunterson Sun 03-May-15 21:44:58

Do you wear a lot of nail polish normally? Long shot but that can cause yellowing of the nail
Does the nail have any other signs/symptoms of fungal infection?

Pumpkinette Sun 03-May-15 21:47:53

Coconut oil works on clearing up fungal nails as it's antibacterial. Not sure how to get rid of the yellow quickly. You could maybe try something from boots (or chemist) but not sure how fast they work - sorry.

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 21:48:05

Only in the summer.
It does look a bit thick that's why I thought fungal. Will it do any harm if I paint over & ignore?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 03-May-15 21:49:03

If it's fungal there's no quick cure unfortunately but you could apply one of the topical laquers (like Loceryl from your GP) that goes on weekly , your nail varnish over the top , then remove the polish from that nail to reapply after the week. It's a long process, can be a year shock

Use Tea Tree Oil under the nail daily so you can treat both sides (it'll run under the nail plate)

Your GP might give you 3 months of Lamasil tablets, in which case you just paint them as usual, ( though your nail varnish colour would help to disguise it anyway.)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 03-May-15 21:51:23

Thickened nail might just be damaged (though a damaged nail is more likely to get a fungal infection)
Fungal nail can be brittle yellowy brown if it's established but difficult to tell in early stages.
Try the Tea Tree Oil anyway.

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 21:52:30

Thanks for the replies, I feel a berk troubling my GP but I could ring her.
I have tea tree and coconut oil so I'll start with them.

scarletforya Sun 03-May-15 21:52:44

But antibacterial won't have any effect of a fungus surely Pumpkinette?

I can see how tea tree oil might though, it's antifungal as well.

cuntyMcCunterson Sun 03-May-15 22:01:44

Thickened and yellow does sound like a fungal thing and I don't think there's any quick fix. Pp has mentioned tablets and topical treatments.
A chiropodist could also treat/advise on how best to get rid. My DH had a pretty stubborn fungal nail that only cleared up fully after seeing the chiropodist-no idea what they did but the tablets from the gp only had minimal results!

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 22:15:25

Thanks for the advise. I was hoping for a quick fix but it seems I'll need medical help. Luckily it's not my big toe so not too noticeable.

MooMinCow Sun 03-May-15 22:19:03

I remember people recommending massaging Vicks onto the area. Guess would work like tea tree oil but not sure how quick you'd see results?

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 22:21:10

Vicks, as in breathe easy confused?

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 22:23:25

Well Moo just had a google & it seems you're right!
www.nail-fungus.net/blog/treatment/how-does-vicks-vapor-rub-help-to-cure-toenail-fungus

MooMinCow Sun 03-May-15 22:24:09

Here http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1730428-You-know-the-Vicks-in-your-toenails-thing

Pumpkinette Sun 03-May-15 23:20:23

I'm pretty sure it works on fungal infections too scarletforya I know it works on yeast infections (aka thrush) and I'm sure I've read it works for fungal nail infections too. <off to google>

FadedRed123 Sun 03-May-15 23:23:50

Vicks, or cheaper supermarket generic, cleared my fungal nail infection very quickly but it does recur after using nail varnish for a while. Keeps using it and have break from varnish regularly.

Pumpkinette Sun 03-May-15 23:38:41

Found quite a few articles on coconut oil curing fungal nails. Also listerine mouthwash is supposed to work really well too. Apparently listerine was originally used to treat gonorrhoea shock who knew?

Lailoo Sun 03-May-15 23:45:18

Olbas oil is good and used to treat it as well and is stronger than vicks.

scarletforya Sun 03-May-15 23:52:39

Interesting thanks Pumpkinette -I googled it also and saw that it is anti microbial, which I think covers both fungus and bacteria! Must get some.

burnishedsilver Mon 04-May-15 10:17:18

I tried lots of expensive over the counter treatments to no avail. The one thing that was effective was vicks vaporub rubbed onto and under the nail twice a day. It took several months to clear up completely but the improvement was almost immediate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now