When I get that xyz my wardrobe/life will be perfect...

(22 Posts)
Twitchcoco Thu 30-Apr-15 09:19:08

But then another thing comes along, and another.

I wouldn't mind if I were buying key pieces but I keep buying basics in plain colours. Gah. It's not a money issue even, it's just a compulsion to have the 'stuff' to make outfits.

I blame stylebook app. When I started I had 75 items of clothing. Now I have 123.

I need to stop spending and start wearing. Anyone else feel like this?

Twitchcoco Thu 30-Apr-15 09:20:31

Case I point, I thought a silk cotton cardi would be a good addition to my wardrobe for summer so I bought FIVE.

At least they are cheap at woolovers!

Thisishowyoudisappear Thu 30-Apr-15 11:26:36

Yes. I don't buy that much really (I don't think so, anyway) but I almost always 'need' some additional thing to perfect my wardrobe. My DH pointed out to me that when I mention buying something I usually say things like 'i NEED such and such a thing, that will solve a lot of problems' or similar.

Also a real multiple buyer. I can't buy one t-shirt at a time.

Oly4 Thu 30-Apr-15 16:12:41

I do this and am swimming in clothes, some with tags still on. I also need to stop buying and just start wearing. Everything I buy fills a perceived wardrobe 'gap', which is nonsense as there is no gap.
Shopping has just become a rather demanding hobby now. It's not a money issue for us either. If it was maybe if calm down!

Oly4 Thu 30-Apr-15 16:13:11

That should read.. Maybe I would calm down

Lovewearingjeans Thu 30-Apr-15 16:15:59

Know the feeling, though mine tends to be make up and skincare. I did do a wardrobe sort out recently, and discovered I have four black jumpsuits blush I am a bit better, but have just discovered the wonders of Hush, and am itching to order something I don't need!

Twitchcoco Thu 30-Apr-15 18:11:36

I have the same issues with make up and skincare too. Just today I decided I needed a hydrating toner and found a late night opening chemist so I could get one!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 30-Apr-15 18:16:27

blush

My wardrobe suffers from "Just HOW many navy T Shirts and black/white spotty tops do you need"?

In my life , it would be perfect if I had a pair of jeans that were able to cover my muffin top, not aggrevate my scars and be camel-toe free.

And a cape like the Scottish Widows woman that makes me look elegant but not witchy.

HerRoyalNotness Thu 30-Apr-15 18:26:53

bought FIVE haha, I used to do this if I found something that fitted well.

I really, really, really need someone to come into my wardrobe and sort it all out into outfits, and advise about how to put things together and what to buy that will fill the gaps of making outfits. I'm crap at this, the only way for me to put outfits together is to buy a WHOLE outfit when I go shopping. But then the bits that make up that ONE outfit, generally don't go with anything else I own.

I've just bought about 4 handbags, literally in the last week. Tbf one of them was a kate spade reduced from 1k to $270 thanks to a sale and a discount code. I doubt DH will share in the joy.

Twitchcoco Thu 30-Apr-15 19:39:35

Ive recommended this website before www.theviviennefiles.com

It's brilliant for capsule wardrobes but it hasn't stopped me needing just one more thing!

mooth Thu 30-Apr-15 22:07:35

I am guilty of this. I'd have so much more money if I didn't buy clothes every single month. It's ridiculous.

BlueEyedWonder Thu 30-Apr-15 22:32:48

I am so guilty of this.

In my head I have a running list of things I think I need to complete my wardrobe and that life will be so much happier once I have them. Except the list never ends and so I'm never entirely happy.

At the moment I'm fixated on a short sleeve cashmere sweater.

I am also an awful repeat buyer. Stripe tops, ankle boots, slim jeans...

Twitchcoco Thu 30-Apr-15 22:46:17

I'm going to introduce a may shopping ban. Brutal but necessary. I may just have to shop my closet. shock

CointreauVersial Thu 30-Apr-15 22:51:39

Generally I don't repeat buy (I'm quite good at saying to myself "you have a breton top; you don't need another).

But this all goes out of the window in a charity shop - I can't resist a good deal, so end up with yet another cardigan/shirt/handbag or whatever. I now struggle to see what I actually have - all my drawers and wardrobe are overflowing.

I'm always looking for the essential last piece of the jigsaw outfit-wise.

I buy countless items of casual/work clothing I don't really need, but am utterly defeated by any formal occasion, and never seem to have the right outfit.

I am also on a constant quest to find trousers that fit well. I buy a pair, think they're perfect, then decide that no, they're not, and go and find another pair. Meanwhile the wardrobe continues to fill up.

candykane25 Fri 01-May-15 01:10:10

It is the thrill of the chase, the hunter gatherer in us. I am classic wardrobe bursting at the seams but nothing to wear. I really struggle with wearing the same dress twice if I am going to be photographed, so have many many dresses but always need a new one. Which then requires new shoes etc.
I'd be a bit bereft if there was nothing on my list to hunt and gather.

stringbean Fri 01-May-15 09:37:59

I could have written this post. I have some really nice clothes in my wardrobe, and no real 'gaps' to be honest, but seem unable to put outfits together. Consequently, I'm always on the search for a particular item that will go with x and y as that will somehow complete my wardrobe. I look at style blogs etc but have yet to find one that will tell me how to put together an outfit.

I am also guilty of repeat buying, and also have this thing about saving stuff for 'best'. I have several pairs of ankle boots that dh swears are all the same, but I insist they're not. Ditto jeans, Ditto long sleeved t-shirt tops. Agree about the casual/work clothes and nothing for formal/going out; I often say I just have work clothes and jeans.

Someone in a shop once told me that it actually takes a lot of time and effort to find the right outfit and put it together, So maybe that's just it; I don't take enough time. But on top of everything else I have to do, time perusing my wardrobe and putting outfits together just seems a tad self-indulgent. Hey ho.

FrugalFashionista Fri 01-May-15 10:58:35

I agree with the thrill of the chase, I love the high I get from shopping but the 'perfect' item never really satisfies and I'm always on to the next thing. These feelings are the source of my overshopping tendencies. The way out is to try to figure out what are the underlying reasons why you think you'd need a certain item. I often shop when I'm feeling tired, bored or somehow stuck with my life. Getting out, doing something other than shopping, connecting with friends, getting lost in a good novel or movie often help...

Oly4 Fri 01-May-15 11:07:04

I'm bored out of my mind on mat leave ... Cue massive overshopping. Hopefully it will stop when I go back to work!

StupidFlanders Fri 01-May-15 11:11:41

I have discovered a brilliant blog called Paris to Go. She moved to Paris with about 11 items of clothing and hovers around that.

I'm not anywhere near her but I have found her blog fascinating and challenging. My general consumption has dropped dramatically and my wardrobe has halved. I've started to enjoy the wanting something stage without the buying if that makes sense and I'm much more picky about purchasing things.

Twitchcoco Fri 01-May-15 11:22:57

Great thoughts and resources, thanks. I have an almost print-free wardrobe other than dresses so maybe that's part of the problem.

Plain trousers, a high contrast plain top and a plain cardigan that matches the trousers is my default. Maybe I'm just bored.

Last week I wore navy trousers, a blue and white polka top from Planet and an emerald green cardigan and I felt a million dollars. Maybe I need to look at patterned tops and stick to plain trousers and cardis?

Nettletheelf Fri 01-May-15 12:20:17

My 'thing that will revolutionise my wardrobe if only I can find it' is a perfect grey jumper.

I have many jumpers that are grey but none of them are quite right. Hope springs eternal, though.

I laughed about stringbean's ankle boots. I am just the same. I am on a perpetual quest for perfect black stiletto heeled ankle boots.

zinnia Fri 01-May-15 16:20:32

This is me all over. I've bought way too much recently (mostly jumpsuits. I love them all but most of them are going to have to go back) yet my current "wishlist" consists mostly of white t-shirts and grey and/ or navy trousers that actually suit me. Had a very good start to this year of not buying anything for most of Jan and Feb but since then have completely fallen off the rails.
Wish I had a day to go through my wardrobe and just try everything on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now