Can I wear this to a wedding, or is it OTT?

(66 Posts)
Wilding Sat 25-Apr-15 22:14:10

I'm going to a wedding next weekend and have just bought a skirt very similar to the one in this picture - can I wear it or is it too much? I don't want to out-meringue the bride! I'd dress it down with either a plain black top or white shirt and low-key make-up & hair. The wedding is in a posh hotel, if that makes any difference.

Noeuf Sat 25-Apr-15 22:16:54

What colour is it?

Wilding Sat 25-Apr-15 22:20:01

Same colour as the picture, dark green.

Was tempted to say white though, just to see what horrified responses I'd get wink

Noeuf Sat 25-Apr-15 22:25:10

I love it. Black t-shirt and DMs?

Meloria Sat 25-Apr-15 22:30:52

Nice! Go for it.

Heels99 Sat 25-Apr-15 22:35:11

Are you Helena Bon ham Carter?

DoTheDuckFace Sat 25-Apr-15 22:37:17

I love it!! But don't think I would have the confidence to carry it off. I love the styling in the picture.

DoTheDuckFace Sat 25-Apr-15 22:37:45

Check the bridesmaids aren't wearing green though, that could be awkward.

burnishedsilver Sat 25-Apr-15 22:40:50

Unless it's a black tie wedding it's too much.

SirChenjin Sat 25-Apr-15 22:43:40

Unless that's the dress code then it's OTT for a wedding.

Mamabird3 Sat 25-Apr-15 22:47:57

I think it might be a bit much for a wedding, although that will depend on the dress code and the brides dress and colour schemes. When I got married I wouldn't have been bothered by it to be honest, but everyone is different. On a slightly different note I love the skirt and if you already have it and it's not suitable, I'll create an occasion to wear it grin if you don't mind sharing where you got it I'd be very interested... blush

AmelieinOz Sat 25-Apr-15 22:48:15

I love it. If you're long and lean like the model, will style it dress-down like you mentioned, and the bridesmaids aren't wearing green then I think that's not OTT for a formal wedding.

I'd wear the same top for this kind of skirt.

Wilding Sat 25-Apr-15 23:01:41

Hmm... seems like the general consensus is OTT, which is a right bugger as I don't have anything else to wear!

Mamabird I bought it from a charity shop in Chelsea, it was v expensive so I'm desperately trying to work out what I can wear it to. TBH I love it so much I'm tempted just to waft around the house in it blush

Wilding Sat 25-Apr-15 23:04:41

I'm not really worried about pulling it off as an outfit, I do have quite a lot of confidence and I feel great in it... I just don't want to be rude! Would hate for people to think I was trying to upstage the bride.

Good point about the bridesmaids, I could check what colour they'll be wearing?

Floggingmolly Sat 25-Apr-15 23:08:47

I know someone whose wedding dress was emerald green velvet, it looked exactly like that skirt. I do think it's a bit too much for a guest, tbh.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sat 25-Apr-15 23:10:51

Unless it's a formal do or in a Scottish castle in the middle of winter, I think it's a not much

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sat 25-Apr-15 23:11:09

bit!

LimeFizz Sat 25-Apr-15 23:11:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wilding Sat 25-Apr-15 23:16:31

Fair enough - looks like I might need an outfit rethink, in that case.

Now I just have to find somewhere I can wear the skirt! I'm going on a cruise this summer, maybe I could wear it for black tie evening? I think it would probably take up the whole of the space in my suitcase though grin

Financeprincess Sat 25-Apr-15 23:44:06

It is a bit de trop but let's face it, unless you regularly go to balls (and who does?), when else will you wear it if not to a wedding, which is the smartest thing most of us ever attend? So if it were me, I'd wear it but do my best to avoid looking bridesmaid-y.

sweetmuffins Sun 26-Apr-15 06:49:57

It's OTT, OP. Choose something else. It looks long enough to almost have a train, and only the bride should have that. I think you may be accused of trying to upstage the bride, so I'd steer well away.

Try to find another occasion to wear the skirt, although I'd suspect there'd be limited situations when you would be able to wear it as it's extremely formal.

MaddingCrowd Sun 26-Apr-15 06:54:39

I totally disagree, if you dress it way down I think it will be fine.

pnutter Sun 26-Apr-15 06:54:56

Are there actual rules ? Irthink not. Wear it :-)

WinterBabyof89 Sun 26-Apr-15 06:55:42

I love it.. I would rather have had people over dress for my wedding than under dress. A couple of my guests looked so casual - it was my wedding for crying out loud - make an effort!!

Hope you get to wear this lovely skirt soon!!

pnutter Sun 26-Apr-15 06:57:24

disclaimer :im too fat to wear it. But if it looked good on me then I'd wear it. My only rules are cost and then fatness)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now