Expensive foundation looks terrible - help needed!

(31 Posts)
Ohanarama Mon 16-Mar-15 20:55:25

I have bad skin - rosacea and large pores and prone to spots - but that is a whole other thread!
Anyway I've recently bought various products to try and improve my skin and I'm getting quite good results so I googled what foundation to wear to provide good coverage without upsetting my skin. The foundation most recommended on the reviews I read was Estee Lauder double wear.
Last weekend I braved going to the make up counter (because of having problem skin I'm always nervous of such places!) and the assistant took off my make up and applied the foundation and it looked AMAZING! She only used a tiny amount of concealer under my eyes, whereas I always smother loads of it on.
Anyway, I obviously bought some (£29.50) but it looks terrible when I apply it, it cakes around my nose and in my pores, and my face goes quite greasy and patchy after a few hours. It looks worse than my previous cheap (maybelline) foundation!
The counter lady did apply it with a brush, whereas I use fingers, would that have made such a difference? Or could it be my moisturiser causing the problem? I need advice please, not just because of the wasted money but also because I'm so disappointed, I want my skin to look lovely again.

ChantenayCarrot1 Mon 16-Mar-15 21:01:30

I'm not expert at all but I have encountered similar problems and the issue has been the moisturiser I've used. What did the lady in the shop use before she applied the foundation?

I wouldn't give up, I would even go bk and ask for more advice if necessary.

Smugnogplease Mon 16-Mar-15 21:06:08

I did the same only a few weeks ago, the double wear is hideous on me, total waste of money.
This week I've bough maybelline primer and foundation ( mousse type in squeeze pen like primer) and it's much better

avocadotoast Mon 16-Mar-15 21:11:48

I'd definitely go back and ask for a bit of advice.

It could be the difference between brush and fingers though. I've been using a new foundation lately and even the difference between two different brushes is really noticeable.

Carpaccio Mon 16-Mar-15 21:19:23

It could be the combination of your moisturiser and foundation.
If you use a primer or if she did, that might make a difference too.
It could also be that you're applying too much.
Or that it just applies better with a brush.

Play around with it and see if that helps. And if it doesn't help, then go back and ask for advice.

Retromama008 Mon 16-Mar-15 21:23:00

I really think brushes make a difference, if am in a rush I use fingers but when I have time I use brushes and it looks 10 times better. I use double wear and loreal infallible primer I put my moisturiser on then have breakfast and get dress first to give it time to settle before doing make up

Chchchchangeabout Mon 16-Mar-15 21:26:34

I would go back and ask for advice.

Also agree about letting moisturiser settle/soak in for a while first.

Gunpowder Mon 16-Mar-15 21:29:30

YY you must leave AT LEAST 10 mins after doing your moisturiser.

Ohanarama Mon 16-Mar-15 21:32:34

Thanks for the replies, I think she did use some sort of primer - would that have made such a difference? Basically when she applied it none of my pores were visible and it didn't clump at all, plus it looked great for the rest of the day. I'm a bit loathe to go back because their products cost £££ and I know she'll try to sell me more. Also I'm worried that if I bought their primer or moisturiser they would make my skin break out. I think I'll try getting a foundation brush first, maybe I've just been applying it really badly. It does get excellent reviews.

DorothyBastard Mon 16-Mar-15 21:36:13

As PPs have said, leave a few minutes after applying moisturiser; then apply primer (lanacane anti-chafing gel is a brilliant cheap solution - it has the same ingredients as the Smashbox primer I think), give it another few minutes, then apply the foundation. Best brush I have found is the Real Techniques stippling brush. I got mine for a tenner in Asda after a recommendation on here.

Ohanarama Mon 16-Mar-15 21:53:02

Thanks for the brush recommendation, must get one of those. Also will try leaving longer time after moisturising, think I am probably guilty of not giving it long enough to properly dry.

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 16-Mar-15 22:10:35

OP my makeup looks awful without primer. Just sits in the pores making them look obviously. I use porefessional (Benefit) and can really tell if I forget.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 16-Mar-15 22:23:32

I think primer makes a huge difference - I really rate the Smashbox one, and they are good with samples if you want to try it before shelling out. I do serum, moisturiser, then eyemakeup, then primer/foundation/blush, but tbh I think if you need to leave moisturiser more than a couple of minutes to settle then it's too rich for daytime and a lighter one might be better.

WicksEnd Mon 16-Mar-15 22:30:33

The botanics primer is a really nice good value one. I bought some after watching some Lisa Eldridge videos on YouTube. I think I only paid £2.75 on offer at boots. I've got a dior one too which is lovely but save it for weekends, going out.

avocadotoast Mon 16-Mar-15 22:57:43

Yeah, primer really does make a difference. I use a Rimmel one, it's pretty cheap but really quite good. If I had more money to spare I'd use Illamasqua Hydra Veil every day as it's amazing, but I can't justify buying it. (If you can then definitely get it.)

coffeenut Tue 17-Mar-15 08:03:38

I'd definitely go back to the counter and ask for samples of the moisturiser and primers that she used. Just say you have very sensitive skin and need to try it a couple of times first.

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 17-Mar-15 08:13:41

Go back and ask lots of questions, or find another member of staff on the same counter if you felt pressured.

I went to a Clinique counter a few weeks ago. I'm terrible at applying, wearing make up and looking after my skin so I went with a specific thought of covering my spotty face.

The woman I saw was lovely. Put me right at ease, made loads of recommendations but no hard sell - also told me to use a brush rather than fingers as she said I'd just be spreading anything nasty around with my fingers plus skin oils might make a difference.

She also made a follow up appointment to see how I've been getting on with the products I did buy.

It has made such a difference to me that I'm going to top up all the products I'm running low on plus buy some of the foundation she gave me a tester pot of.

It does sound like you need to know exactly what they used and how best to apply it. Whilst I think sometimes these things can end up expensive, I did spend less than I thought I would compared to my usual lackadaisical skincare routine.

Ohanarama Tue 17-Mar-15 08:17:15

I've gone without moisturiser today and still have the clogged effect so don't think that was causing the problem. Will also get a foundation brush on the way to work and give that a go. After that I'll have to go back to the counter, don't know if I'll be able to afford their moisturiser and primer though, will probably cost at least £60 together! Wish I'd never gone to that counter in the first place sad

GoooRooo Tue 17-Mar-15 08:24:11

I use double wear and love it, but if I don't use a primer I have the same problem as you OP. Since discovering Smash box photo finish primer it has changed my face forever. I use a really cheap supermarket foundation brush to apply the Foundation and fingers for the primer. Must buy a new foundation brush.

Boswollox Tue 17-Mar-15 08:59:42

I second the Real Techniques stippling brush recommendation, I use it to apply Double Wear and its brilliant!

OhisHOME Tue 17-Mar-15 09:21:34

I have issues with my skin though allergies rather than anything else, benefit sorted me out there Porefessional stuff is great

Boofy27 Tue 17-Mar-15 09:27:44

Primer is good stuff but it's really specific to skin type, for example, Smashbox gets great reviews but if I were to put it on my greasy skin, within a couple of hours I'd look like I'd been dipped in a deep fat fryer.

Double Wear is a wonderful foundation but it's not the easy to apply, you need to get it on really quickly and unless you're fairly experienced, a brush is the only way to do that. A Sigma F80 brush isn't cheap but it works. Double Wear Light is much easier to put on with your fingers, it feels lighter on your skin but still has fantastic coverage. Samples are given freely.

Estée Lauder have a fantastic refund policy, so if all else fails, you'll get your money back but before you do that, get samples of both their primers to try. They tend to be quite generous, so you could well end up with enough for a month, giving you enough time to save up if it works for you.

mavornia Tue 17-Mar-15 09:33:06

Could anyone link to a video of how to apply foundation with a brush? Do you put it on your hand and then dip the brush in? I always just use my fingers.

GoooRooo Tue 17-Mar-15 09:45:50

I put some foundation on the back of my hand and then use the brush.

Boofy27 Tue 17-Mar-15 09:51:25

Wayne Goss has some excellent videos on You Tube but it's not a case of brush always being better, some foundations suit being applied with fingers, some sit better with a sponge and some only really work with a brush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now