Black (or dark sober colour) school coat for secondary school

(8 Posts)
foslady Sun 24-Aug-14 19:39:56

Help!

This is the last thing we need to get. She's (almost) 12 and going up to secondary school, and I obviously am totally wrong with everything re coats (although I do realise that she's on the verge of getting the never feel the cold super power that means she can be at the bus stop in just a blazer and scarf when there's 6" of snow on the ground!!)

So how wrong did I get it with a parka earlier today and what styles should I be looking at with her? I want it to be warm and preferably cover lower than her waist but know it's her that will be wearing it so must make her feel good

Helenagrace Mon 25-Aug-14 09:55:06

I'm in the same position with my DD. We've compromised on a plain navy padded jacket which I got in the sale in BHS in a ladies size 6. I couldn't persuade her to have a long coat at all.

Maybe if she has a blazer a waterproof might be enough for the first month or two?

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 25-Aug-14 10:04:00

Just get something very cheap, it will be worn two days in Dec and somewhere in the art room when it snows in January.

Makes me angry being told I'm late and they're freezing, simply because they will not take a coat!

chantico Mon 25-Aug-14 10:12:24

Wait until she's started. It won't be cold before half term at least, and by then she (and you) might have got your eye in a bit about what's actually worn (if indeed at all) and she's used to lockers/carrying round stuff.

You could get a cheap cagoule that she can easily squash into her bag in case it's very wet.

My DS is going into Yr 10
My DD is going into Yr 8

DS won't wear a coat unless I sew him into it. He can go out in a waterproof but comes home without. So for him, I have a Tresspass (non padded) and he keeps a thin cheapie waterproof in his bag that he never blardy uses

DD has a Superdry black zip up. I paid half (IIRC it was £75 shock ) but I'd pay £30-£40 for a school coat.
She is very careful, she locks it in her locker and she wears it. She'll wear it out of school so it does get used .

YY to wait till half term at least.
Maybe buy her a small fold up brolley in the meantime?

I asked same q for daughter going into y7 apparently parkas are the way to go so I bought the parka on the Bhs website tammy girl I think. I got black for her and the khaki for her younger sister £30ish each

foslady Mon 25-Aug-14 20:53:38

She finally agreed to this

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MX4YFT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working on the theory if she won't wear it for school, she might wear it with jeans.....

Thanks for your help, just glad it's not just me on this one!

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Mon 25-Aug-14 21:06:56

My teenagers refuse to wear a coat to school. They wear a base layer under their school shirts and a school jumper with their blazers. I know they are freezing in winter but I have given up the nagging now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now