hair die for allergy sufferers

(8 Posts)
2fedup Sun 24-Aug-14 19:05:44

I really need to do something about my grey temples as I'm starting to look like a granny. I can't see the other grey so I'm pretending they are not there. In the past, hair colour has made a scalp very itchy and a patch test was itchy. Is there anything you can recommend which is not too harsh? I'm looking for a light brown/auburn colour. Or am I doomed to going grey?

Sunflower101 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:26:55

I have an allergy as well, can't use hair dye. My allergy gives me a different reaction to hair dye to yours though, I get swollen eyes and sore skin on my face. Although I haven't dared trying it myself due to the severity of my allergy I have been told that henna is a natural product and wondered if you had considered trying it? Perhaps someone might give you feedback about henna.....just a thought.

GobblersKnob Sun 24-Aug-14 19:38:33

I became allergic to dye, then bleach, then henna hmmgrin

Mine is now greying but so short that you can't really tell, someone thought it was highlighted the other day smile

2fedup Sun 24-Aug-14 19:56:13

Thanks, I remember henna from student days as being bright red and really messy, I'm guessing it has improved. Do you know a good brand?

AttitudeOfGratitude Mon 25-Aug-14 06:04:18

Look up surya henna cream, it's a no mix henna dye that you apply directly from the bottle. I use the chocolate shade and buy it from Amazon.

GobblersKnob Mon 25-Aug-14 06:40:34

Surya Henna doesn't really contain any henna, it advertises itself as a semi permanent, which is the least thing that henna is, henna is a very permanent decision grin

If you want to try henna you want to be looking for something with very few ingredients, Lush stuff is good, BAQ henna is better try Henna Boy, both come in a range of colours, not just flame red smile

That said, the reviews of Surya as a natural gentle dye are very good, but I would be quite suspicious of what is contains seeing as it claims to cover 100% of grey, though it does say it is PPD free.

CoteDAzur Mon 25-Aug-14 07:28:04

Diacolor. It's proper hair dye, without harsh chemicals.

TheFillyjonk Mon 25-Aug-14 12:11:08

Naturtint from Holland & Barrett is a natural dye - not messy and it doesn't stain (and I used the black and red shades!) It lasts well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now