100% Towelling Bathrobe

(24 Posts)
hannah459 Sat 23-Aug-14 21:48:39

Any ideas where to buy these days?
100% pissed off that the vast majority of shops seem to now be selling gowns out of that fluffy viscose stuff that's like nails down a blackboard when I touch it. (And zero absorbency which is surely the whole bloody point!)
Want a simple kimono style - NO shawl collar, NO hood and ffs NO stupid embroidery! (I'm 52 not 12!!)
The White Company was where I bought my last, but no more.

ThePerfectNegroni Sat 23-Aug-14 22:03:52

I had a strop in M&S last year when a member of staff informed me "nobody wants terry towelling dressing gowns anymore". I pointed out that she was wrong because I was asking for one.

Sorry, I can't be of much help though. I haven't seen a kimono one for years.

RaisingSteam Sat 23-Aug-14 22:06:13

Do Ikea still have them? Also places that sell towels like Dunelm, or various internet sellers. I looked into this when I wanted one of an obscure colour, but then just gave up and got a white one from Ikea. It does have a shawl collar but I can live with it. Totally agree with the squeaky microfibre.

This sort of thing?

Fairylea Sat 23-Aug-14 22:08:13

May be a random idea but how about a hotel chain like mariott or hilton? They often have a spa shop that sell them.

lurkingaround Sat 23-Aug-14 22:20:29

I have a really old one, it's Missoni, present from DH about 14 years ago, quality is excellent, it still is perfect with daily use. They are quite spendy but maybe worth keeping an eye out in a sale?

Bananasandchocolatecustard Sat 23-Aug-14 22:40:32

I was looking for a 100% cotton dressing gown last year. Dunelm mill sell "to the knee" length dressing gowns in lots of different colours. I ended up buying a long length one from the White Company (and dying it).

AnathemaIsANiceNameForAGirl Sun 24-Aug-14 00:55:28

I got one from here and am very happy with it. Good prices too.

WildThong Sun 24-Aug-14 00:59:03
PasswordProtected Sun 24-Aug-14 06:48:36

www.zalando.be/moeve-croco-badjas-beige-m7871a002-b11.html
Just ordered this. It is big & fluffy & 100% cotton. I originally ordered a medium, but had to send back & get a small as the medium was huge.

BadlyDrawnBuoy Sun 24-Aug-14 07:29:00

Try john lewis

hannah459 Sun 24-Aug-14 09:46:05

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Have to start a campaign to get them back in the shops!!

grumblepuss Sun 24-Aug-14 09:57:32

White company?
Mines from there... It has a hood though.
I'm sure they had ones without.

pinkflaming0 Sun 24-Aug-14 10:07:13

This is one of my biggest bugbears - the fluffy synthetic ones are HORRID. I can't bear them - Uggghhh!

I'm wearing my Long Tall Sally towelling robe as type. They did one a few seasons back (not now they've joined the fluffy bandwagon) and I pounced on it as my previous one (also LTS) was totally shabby. I'd been trying to replace it for years but no luck.

M&S are hopeless at stocking what people want e.g. no bras in store at less than 32inch band and row upon row of 'Brazillian' knickers - I have a size 10 bum and they look rubbish enough on me.

I love the 'no one wants them' line - can they not see the irony of saying that to someone asking for said item? grin

AlpacaYourThings Sun 24-Aug-14 10:14:34

I have wanted a new one for ages, OP.

I don't think it's true that no one wants towelling robes anymore. I just think that cotton is more expensive than that synthetic shit and so they are pushing it more and more!

pinkflaming0 Sun 24-Aug-14 10:43:37

I think you've nailed it Alpaca

WitchWay Sun 24-Aug-14 10:46:23

I bought a lovely white company one recently but it has a hood - sorry! I love the hood though & it's nice & long smile

I was fed up with overheating in a thick fluffy synthetic fleece one from M&S - sweaty, nasty hmm

FestiveRoad Sun 24-Aug-14 10:48:28

I've been looking for bed linen and came across this website. They also sell a selection of cotton bathrobes. They seem to mainly supply hotels etc. It's possible I've missed it, but I've had a quick look and can't find anything on the website that says trade only.

www.mitrelinen.com/products/bathrooms/bathrobes-and-slippers/

Most recent bathrobe I bought was from Dunelm, but they have shawl collars. They come in a vast array of colours but only 2 sizes though iirc.

www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/bath/dressing-gowns/

KatherinaMinola Sun 24-Aug-14 10:49:43

Habitat and John Lewis do them. They are not cheap though.

AnathemaIsANiceNameForAGirl Sun 24-Aug-14 12:55:59

The fleece ones are a different thing IMO. They are not for getting out of the bath / shower, they're for putting on over your PJs (and are great if like me you are a central-heating-hater).

I have both, a cotton towelling one for straight out of the shower and a thick fleecy one for when I am pyjamarised and settling down for the evening. I also have a floaty, gauzy cotton one for summer morning wafting around and a flannel one for inbetweeny temperatures. I do like a nice robe grin

aylesburyduck Sun 24-Aug-14 14:08:44

Watching with interest smile

WillowWoods Sun 24-Aug-14 14:39:31

Always buy Missoni now. There's a shop on Italian Ebay that is great.

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Aug-14 22:03:52

The ones they give you to use at Champneys are amazing. Really thick and heavy. You can buy them too.

Twinklestein Mon 25-Aug-14 02:08:39

M&S did them at Christmas last year, keep, an eye out. They were nicer than the John Lewis colours.

MrsMeow Mon 25-Aug-14 12:17:38

I searched high and low for a towelling dressing gown and ended up buying one from the Midland in Manchester when I stayed there last! Think it was about £35, only problem is that it has the Q Hotels logo on the breast so looks like I've nicked it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now