Capsule wardrobe ideas for Autumn/Winter for a plus size women.

(15 Posts)
Iconfuseus Fri 22-Aug-14 12:09:12

Hello All,

I'm not really good at buying clothes and I'm looking for some advice to see if this is reasonable.

I need some new clothes for this autumn/winter because I've put on weight. Because of this I don't really have any winter clothes at all (apart from a decent winter coat.)

I don't have bags of money so I'm going to aim for a capsule wardrobe.

I a SAHM so I don't need work clothes. I don't wear trousers or jeans because they don't flatter me.

I'm thinking I can get by with . . .

- A couple of long length tunics to be paired with plain black leggings
- A couple of denim skirts
- A few long sleeved t-shirts
- Long sleeved cardigans for layering on cold days

I think that should be enough, provided I keep on top of the washing of course!

What do you think?

Iconfuseus Fri 22-Aug-14 12:10:22

Also I was thinking about wearing a couple of my summer dresses with leggings, because that would give me more options.

Is that the done thing or do leggings with dresses look stupid?

MrsPnut Fri 22-Aug-14 13:02:03

I would start with a capsule wardrobe but be on the look out for other pieces to add to it.

There are some nice ideas on this thread. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2159021-Curvistas-A-wardrobe-AW14-15-planning-thread?

BeCool Fri 22-Aug-14 13:10:28

I just brought a coupe of Nicola Quilter skirts - in long length.

Stretch cotton for a good fit & I will wear them with boots, tights and just need to get a couple of tops.

polyhymnia Fri 22-Aug-14 13:15:32

I'm a size 22 and personally not a fan of leggings with dresses or of denim skirts.
But I realise that isn't the constructive sort of advice you're looking for and hope people from the current curvy thread can be more helpful. I think first it'd be helpful to know more about your height, size, lifestyle etc.

Deathraystare Fri 22-Aug-14 16:22:11

I would not recommend the denim skirts either. I thought I looked ok in long denim skirt. NO. They are too bulky. I realised this the day I got a holiday photo back from when a friend and I went to Bruges. Oh shit did I look bad.

polyhymnia Sun 24-Aug-14 10:14:01

Yes, on holiday at moment and saw some long denim skirts on people at Eurostar terminal . They did not look good. Bulky and also very old fashioned.

I love those skirts - but the one I looked at the largest size was 14-16 - they are gorgeous but that is hardly 'plus size'. Shame but it will give me something to aim for.

Thanks for the link to the curvy thread - that might be where I need to be!

BeCool Sun 24-Aug-14 18:30:04

Travel if you mean the Nicola Quilter skirts they go up to 18-20, but the website only shows the sizes that are in stock. Mine are size "voluptuous" which is a generous 18-20 and they are stretchy. Check out the other styles to see what is in stock.

e.g. this one is in stock in all sizes: www.nicolaquilter.com/products-page/long/long-black-dewdrop

Ohhh - I bet the one I love (the map of the world one) is not avaiable though!!

BeCool Mon 25-Aug-14 18:46:48

I loved that one too and yes it was out of stock in 18-20 last week.
Will keep an eye out for it coming back into stock though as I agree it is awesome.

Nosynora Mon 25-Aug-14 20:08:26

Long tops ,leggings and cardigans and a selection of nice scarfs

Dudess Mon 25-Aug-14 20:31:12

Get ye to Evans...they start from a size 14, and give that extra inch of room that makes wearing clothes comfy! I would recommend going into an Evans store to buy your things, if you can, as online there is a big difference in quality.

Dresses and leggings work throughout play dates, coffee catch-ups, housework, popping to the shops, and everything else a SAHM does in a day. Find a dress-length you're comfortable with, and buy lots of types. I have lined dresses for when I want to feel a little smarter, and jersey dresses for when I'm home.

H&M offer a good range in skater dresses, that skim over hips, bums, tums, thighs. Tesco also do quite a few dresses, although I find their clothes normally fit my smaller sister as opposed to my voluptuous body!

Capsule wardrobe is a great idea, and Primarni do a great range in long sleeved tee shirts, just find the ones without lycra, and go for the next size up, so you're not bothered by tight-fitting tops, as they size on the small size. I buy an 18 from there, and a 14 in Evans.

Good luck, have fun shopping smile

RonaldMcDonald Mon 25-Aug-14 20:38:32

Dear God

My maw uses Evans from time to time and they deserve to be shot for what they offer fatter women
I think that it is almost entirely a style free zone, poor fabric lots of sleeveless shapeless tat and expensive for what it is
Awful stuff

polyhymnia Mon 25-Aug-14 22:27:43

As a plus size buyer I completely agree with you!re Evans, Ronald. Much better IMO to avoid most plus size retailers altogether and go for 'normal '(!) ranges. In particular can't imagine why anyone who's size 14, 16!etc would ever go there. I'm a 22 and certainly wouldn't .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now