PCOS, acne, facial hair... Feeling very down at the moment, any tips?

(17 Posts)
Peppa87 Thu 21-Aug-14 10:48:05

I will keep this short and straight to the point as I think I will only have a few minutes until my baby wakes!

Mid twenties

Am told I have 'Possible PCOS' (though I don't doubt it) scan showed appearance of syndrome, though all blood tests done on specific cycle days showed my hormone levels are within normal range and no concerns.

Taking logynon contraceptive pill

Had my first baby a few months ago, during pregnancy my skin improved drastically, lovely and clear. I did have more facial hair, but I think this sometimes comes with pregnancy anyway?

Since giving birth I have had constant acne, mainly on my cheeks, very sore spots, leaving behind red angry marks.

Facial hair is still a problem too. Waxing irritates my skin, same with hair removal. After a few days it does settle down, but always results in more spots, even when using sensitive options. Threading I have not tried, but my local salon charges 40 pounds for full face excluding eyebrows which seems expensive to me.

Does anybody have any tips, or products they swear by to help with these problems?

I just want to feel attractive again sad

Thanks very much

quietbatperson Thu 21-Aug-14 10:55:46

No advice as I'm in a similar position (postnatal with mild PCOS and bad skin atm), but I'll happily share a virtual cake with you until someone comes along with something useful to add smile

FiveGetIntoTrouble Thu 21-Aug-14 11:04:21

Have you tried one of these? You can buy them very cheaply on eBay and they are fab. They are a similar principle to threading, but you can do it at home for free.

MrsMarigold Thu 21-Aug-14 12:24:23

Electrolysis?

thesaurusgirl Thu 21-Aug-14 13:34:37

Also have PCOS though I'm much older (35).

My mother is an obs/gynae consultant and even she couldn't help me very much once I decided Dianette was not for me.

Then I started having acupuncture and taking 5000mg daily doses of Vitamin D on the advice of a friend, and my symptoms have subsided dramatically. Regular painless periods and much clearer skin.

Soprano laser is amazing for hair removal if you can afford it. If not, threading works great.

ThisBitchIsResting Thu 21-Aug-14 15:47:38

Keep your weight right down, and low carb diet (cut sugar out) is the best advice I can give, my pcos symptoms disappeared after I lost a couple of stone. I sympathise that you're postnatal too - take your time and look after yourself, your health is important.

Twinklestein Thu 21-Aug-14 16:02:03

No sugar, no refined carbs, no dairy. If you're overweight lose weight.

How does the pill affect you?

quietbatperson Thu 21-Aug-14 16:03:28

I wouldn't recommend low carbing if you are breastfeeding, especially if you are doing night feeds, but I would agree with eating well and losing any excess weight to help the PCOS.

quietbatperson Thu 21-Aug-14 16:06:09

No dairy is also a really bad idea if you are breastfeeding unless you have Dietician input as you need a lot of calcium which is hard to get without dairy.

olaflikeswarmhugs Thu 21-Aug-14 16:10:22

I don't have PCOS but I have EVERY symptom (except difficulty ttc) . I am prescribed zynerit for acne been working well for past few years but think I may be building up a bit of tolerance to it now .

I also recommend threading for facial hair . I get my upper lip and chin done once a fortnight .

Twinklestein Thu 21-Aug-14 16:17:23

I didn't eat any dairy when I was BF, tho not because of PCOS I didn't have it then, and I was fine. I shifted to other sources of calcium.

I disagree with low carbs tho, it's important to eat carbs, just switch to complex carbs.

I know someone who used Roaccutane for PCOS acne with good effect, but obviously that's no good when you're BF.

quietbatperson Thu 21-Aug-14 16:32:48

Twinklestein I have to avoid all dairy products because of ds3's cmpi. I didn't supplement the first time I had to do it when ds2 had soy and cmpi intolerances but after a proper chat with a Dietician this time around I am on 1000mg of Calcium supplements on top of what I can physically eat. There's only so much broccoli etc I can stuff in my face every day.

Also avoiding dairy has made fa difference to my PCOS skin sad

wtffgs Thu 21-Aug-14 17:08:51

The milk = calcium for bf is myth. Cows don't drink milk.

I hope you find some good information here thanks

ThisBitchIsResting Thu 21-Aug-14 17:25:44

If nothing else - cut out sugar. It screws up hormones and sends my PCOS haywire. Well it did until I switched to high protein and fat, low carb. It's not faddy or unhealthy, it's a really healthy way to eat and solves lots of health issues, it can help diabetics too (linked to PCOS).

quietbatperson Thu 21-Aug-14 19:21:11

There is calcium in milk and cheese, and cheese was an important source of calcium for me before having to stop eating it. I don't eat grass and don't have 4 stomachs to digest it and get all the nutrients out of it either. wtffgs are you trying to say that there isn't calcium in milk, or that you don't need extra calcium when breastfeeding? confused are you sure you're not confusing the need for additional calcium with the old (incorrect) adage that you need to drink milk to make milk?

Peppa87 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:33:59

Thanks ever so much for all your replies, baby is keeping me busy so i haven't had time to look on here properly but i will have a good read tonight and try a few things out and visit my doctor!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Aug-14 19:37:23

I had the Yasmin pill which was great. Used Dermalogica for my skin which sorted itself out once I had DD.
Really want laser removal but I would have to grow my hair to get that sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now