Anyone fancy helping me to decide on an hairstyle please

(20 Posts)
bobkate Tue 19-Aug-14 10:12:59

Okay - so please be gentle grin ( pics on profile )
Approaching very rapidly the big 40 and I've had a long bob for what feels like forever and I'm utterly bored with it and know it looks shocking at the moment. I hate the whole hairdressers experience ( after one lovely male hairdresser told me I was obviously a classic girl, not too bothered how my hair looks - maybe he was being nice but it made me feel more crap than I normally do about my appearance ) and so I put it off and put it off. However I've now booked an appt for next week after deciding I really need to get a grip and get on with it!
Anyway, it doesn't normally have a kink in it, it's very, very fine and straight, apparently there's lots of it though.
So I'm wondering about something like this whippycake.com/2014/07/hair-update/.
The only thing is I don't want to start colouring my hair again, but does this only look as good as it does due to the colour and her lovely pretty face and make up?
Anyone think it would work/suit me? Or other suggestions.
Pictures on my profile for a little while ( this is where the please be gentle bit comes in! )

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 19-Aug-14 10:19:59

I think it would look GREAT on you and give you a new lease of life!

Choppy, stylish and with height on the crown - yeah, go for it smile

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 19-Aug-14 10:21:03

You'd need to use products every day to give it shape and oomph if your hair is super fine though.

bobkate Tue 19-Aug-14 10:28:59

Thanks atrocious - I did have much shorter hair when I was younger and remember the awful bed head I'd get. The whippy cake website gives lots of product recommendations and I think they've changed a lot since I last had short hair.

MissScatterbrain Tue 19-Aug-14 11:48:02

I have a similar hairstyle after being sick of my long fine hair needing a lot of work to get it looking good. I love it and its so easy to look after despite the occasional bed hair (which is easily sorted) so do go for it.

I would recommend telling your hairdresser in advance what your intentions are - trendy pixie cuts are quite tricky to do if he/she isn't experienced with short hair styles.

bobkate Tue 19-Aug-14 12:00:37

Thanks Miss - I could easily pop up with the picture before next weds and see if I've booked with the right stylist. Good tip, thanks smile

efeslight Tue 19-Aug-14 12:26:32

You're very pretty too! and I think it would look lovely- I really hope you're pleased with the results. I think you have to have a pretty face to carry off some shorter looks.
I also have fine quite wispy hair and considered going much shorter but am overweight and think it would make me look fatter. Can you post another picture after?

Cocolepew Tue 19-Aug-14 12:30:05

looks lovely, these slightly shorter ones, are nice too.

DuchessFanny Tue 19-Aug-14 12:34:43

I think it would look fantastic - go for it!
Are you changing the colour too did you say ?

bobkate Tue 19-Aug-14 13:22:18

Oh my gosh efeslight that's v kind of you. I rarely feel anything remotely like pretty, so it's nice of you to say. And yep - I'll post a pic after!
cocolepew thanks for those pics - I read fuckyouchris's thread ( kind of inspired me to get off my arse and do something about my mop ) and had also seen you post those there. I feel like I have quite a big forehead so thinking the forwardy type 'do's' could be the way to go...but then I fear I'll be forever clipping it to the side if it flops in my face too much. I guess though, that's where I'd need to be better with products. Give it a bit more umph rather than fine, flyaway hair floating around.
duchess - thank you. Looks like it's a go-er then, although being frank, anything would be an improvement! I didn't want to change the colour again...it took me ages to grow out my last lot of colour and it does feel in good condition without.

Minicooper Tue 19-Aug-14 13:58:13

I have a pixie cut too and very nearly 40. I took this picture to the hairdresser with me

celebhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Brittany-Daniel-CelebHealthy_com.jpg

I've had it for 2 years now and love it - its ended up a little shorter as that's what suits me. I'd say go for it!

bobkate Tue 19-Aug-14 17:41:09

I like that one too mini I think I'll print them all off, take them along and see what comes out the other end!

InculKate Tue 19-Aug-14 17:51:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuchessFanny Tue 19-Aug-14 19:50:30

Great ! I think your hair colour at the new length, will look lovely - don't forget to come back and show us the after pic !

bobkate Tue 19-Aug-14 20:00:59

Inculkate grin I loved her hair like that and in fact am jealous of both my DD's hair. Older one is blonde, thick and dead straight. Younger is blond, thick and curly. Lucky old them! Mine is mousey, fine and flat!
Duchess thanks very much. I will defo come back with an after pic. Hopefully it'll be a vast improvement!! grin

bobkate Tue 26-Aug-14 22:36:29

OKay, if anyone is interested...here's the before and after!

FoxyHarlow123 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:51:04

Your skin is fabulous! Much envy from me! Brutally honest time - it's ok, like the fringe on you but I think grow it again, keeping the fringe and get some colour in it. Why don't you want to dye it?

bobkate Tue 26-Aug-14 22:57:47

grin I don't mind brutally honest...that's fine! Main reason for not wanting to dye is the cost/upkeep but in actual fact she did put some colour in it! Guess you can't tell! I most definitely think I'm better with a fringe. My forehead looks massive in the before shot shockgrin
Oh and thanks for the skin compliment!

CharlieSierra Tue 26-Aug-14 22:58:58

That looks lovely, are you really pleased?

I got inspired by fuckyouchris's thread too and had mine chopped off from longer than shoulder length, I'm thrilled and people at work keep seeking me out to tell me it looks great, even men, which is pretty amazing since I'm 57 and it's a long time since I got any attention!grin

bobkate Tue 26-Aug-14 23:07:40

Thanks Charlie well yes, I am pleased! No-one else has seen it yet as I had a mobile hairdresser come and do it and my DH is on nights and both kids asleep! Didn't even tell my DH I was having it cut so he'll get a bit of a shock in the morning when he gets in.
Glad you've had such a great reaction to yours. Hopefully the same might happen to me tomorrow grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now