Too much white for a wedding?

(21 Posts)
TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 18-Aug-14 17:46:13

It's a white dress with navy trimming. Unsuitable for a DB's wedding? Would SIL who seems perfectly normal but possibly a touch stresssd be likely to have a hissy fit?

www.jaeger.co.uk/crepe-dress-with-navy-trim/630232H.html?dwvar_630232H_size=12&start=3&dwvar_630232H_color=89600&cgid=sale-women-dresses

MairzyDoats Mon 18-Aug-14 17:47:33

Lovely dress but I wouldn't risk it myself...

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 18-Aug-14 17:47:52

I think its lovely and appropriate - assuming you won't be carrying flowers and wearing a tiara though.

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Mon 18-Aug-14 17:49:43

Lovely but a bit too white.

HaPPy8 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:51:39

I think its a bit too white sorry.

dexter73 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:52:34

I like it. It isn't the least bit like a wedding dress so I would think it would be fine.

Greyhound Mon 18-Aug-14 17:53:23

If you wore it with a black hat, clutch bag, black shoes - should bebfine.

MrsBungle Mon 18-Aug-14 17:55:02

Very nice dress but I think it's too white for a wedding

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 18-Aug-14 17:55:03

I'd go for navy accessories personally.

Honestly, provided sil is doing a 'proper' wedding dress, I really do think its appropriate.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 18-Aug-14 18:01:31

LOL Mrs C.

No - no tiara or flowers. smile It's probably pretty impractical given I will have two small children climbing all over me all day. It's just nice and elegant/simple and I thought I'd try to find a navy jacket and some foxy shoes.

The wedding is in September so I need to find something that will suit a late summer heatwave or a chilly drizzle [or worse] My sisters are getting very stressed that I haven't bought my "outfit" yet. Bless them - they don't have kids and seem to have endless time for post work shopping and weekends visiting "boutiques" and bespoke fascinator makers.... I'm hoping that two stone in babyweight that I haven't shed will miraculously melt away before I go shopping with no actual effort from me......

Dum di dum.. Alternatively I could wear an LK Bennett dress I bought to wear to another wedding but couldn't attend. Have a mental block about it as I bought it to wear at 28 weeks pregnant (teeny bump) with DC1 and it only just fits me my enormous rear now blush Have foxy sandals, a bag, a pashmina and a jacket so would be all set. DH would be shock though - he knows it's the preg dress, though not a maternity dress...... Bollocks - I need to go and join the crash diet thread.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 18-Aug-14 18:04:50

SIL to be is about 28, a size 6 and will definitely be doing the full meringue [and will look amazing].
She's fab and we get on v well so I won't risk it. She'd never object, too polite.
Plus the dress would look much better on pre preg me, which is how I still imagine myself which is why I never go shopping but lust after my pre-preg clothes which are three sizes too small now.

Must. Get. A. Grip -- leave the mayonaise on the radiator overnight, and a personal trainer, urgently--

MarshaBrady Mon 18-Aug-14 18:06:14

It's a lovely dress but I think you could go for something else for a wedding.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 18-Aug-14 18:07:33

I keep finding stunning black dresses from new seasons collections but that's even worse than wearing a white dress ! according to the MN jury anyway, though I don't think these rules are altogether observed where I come from

Karbea Mon 18-Aug-14 18:08:46

No you shouldn't wear white for a wedding, pick another colour any other colour smile

MarshaBrady Mon 18-Aug-14 18:08:56

Someone wore black to my wedding. She stood out in a good way. I thought great choice.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 18-Aug-14 18:09:13

Wear the old dress and keep money for clothes you'll wear when you hit your target weight.

I am loving the crash diet thread.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 18-Aug-14 18:15:16

Will try it on tonight... and probably pop up on the diet thread grin

It's too white in my opinion.

Pollywallywinkles Mon 18-Aug-14 18:40:01

I also think its fine. It's not bridal and will not in anyway overshadow the bride.

lostinindia Mon 18-Aug-14 18:51:27

You're part of the bridal party and will be in the family photos. You will really stand out in a white dress in the photo. For that reason I wouldn't. Nice dress though.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 18-Aug-14 20:52:02

Very good point LostinIndia!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now