GHD or Parlux hairdryer?

(19 Posts)
redonionmarmalade Mon 18-Aug-14 16:00:00

I know this has been done to death but I need help before I cough up $$$$$
I need a new hairdryer. I am using a very old travel one and my hair keeps catching in the airflow bit at the back of it.

I have quite long, thick hair. I don't need straightening irons but I do need a bit of straightening help to make it look sleek. I am very conscious of the condition of my hair so I need a drier that shortens drying time.

rookiemater Mon 18-Aug-14 16:03:53

I have both. I have to say that the parlux has not revolutionized my life in the way I had hoped ( I have v thick hair). It could be because the lead has gone all kinky and it makes me irrationally annoyed every time I use it.

OTOH I love my GHDs. I got DH to buy them as a birthday present one year and they have lasted wonderfully. I went through two other sets of irons before and they were useless.

However if you don't actually need GHDs then lots of people swear by the parlux.

Redtartanshoes Mon 18-Aug-14 16:05:36

I have bra strap length thick hair.

Parlux dryer and ghd straighteners

ClaimedByMe Mon 18-Aug-14 16:09:43

I do love my ghd hairdryer, it dries mine and dds thick hair quickly I then straighten with ghd straighteners

FizzyFeet Mon 18-Aug-14 16:14:20

Like redtartan I have a Parlux hair dryer and ghd straighteners. I love the hair dryer - much speedier and leaves my hair smoother than my previous ancient one. I recI find I need to use the ghds less too.

redonionmarmalade Mon 18-Aug-14 16:36:16

I don't think I need straighteners as my hair is pretty straight anyway. I am more interested in maintaining the quality and shine by using a hairdryer that is heat efficient and maybe Ionic (hear that is the way to go).

If I don't need straightening irons (they make my hair look flat and limp) is Parlux the way to go?

Also which Parlux? There seems to be loads of them.

Redtartanshoes Mon 18-Aug-14 16:50:34

I have the basic purple one.

Amazon or sally services usually the best offers

Needasilverlining Tue 19-Aug-14 07:49:40

Eti turbo! Has given my horrible horse's mane hair swish and shine, and was way cheaper than Parlux.

I have relatively straight hair, but I used to have to use GHDs to smooth it because of the layers. I've just bought the parlux 385 which is the lightest and is really powerful.

It's amazing, and I haven't used my straighteners since. Bizarrely I also don't need to wash my hair as much which is rather odd but I'm not complaining!

GalaxyInMyPants Tue 19-Aug-14 08:54:48

I've just orderd a parlux. The green one with ions.

Oh and my hair looks incredibly shiny. I sometimes use it in the morning in between washes with a round brush to smooth out the bits that have gone a bit kinky where I've slept on it - takes literally a minute to do and it looks fresh as a daisy.

snowplop Tue 19-Aug-14 10:32:47

Thanks to lurking on this thread, my orange Parlux 385 arrived this morning. It beats my old, heavy Babyliss 2100 hands down. Fast, quiet, light and oh so beautiful! Swish...

redonionmarmalade Tue 19-Aug-14 17:59:16

Where did you buy your Parlux 385 from and how much was it. I looked on Amazon but lots of complaints on there about the dryer arriving with a 2 pin plug and having to buy an adapter.

I think i got mine from beautybay

TheLavender Tue 19-Aug-14 20:48:10

Sorry about all the questions!

I usually just finger dry my hair. What brush do you use to dry your hair straight? Also does the hairdryer come with a nozzle or do I have to buy it separately?

It comes with 2 sizes of concentrate nozzle. I prefer to use a really big round brush with means it comes out straight but not totally flat iyswim? The other option is a big paddle brush

I have both a parlux dryer (it's red not sure on model) and a ghd hair dryer. I much prefer the ghd. It leaves my frizz prone hair much smoother even with just a quick go over with my head upside down.

RaisingSteam Tue 19-Aug-14 23:25:29

I've got an ETI hairdryer (too cheap to splash out on a Parlux) - I think the thing is to get a professional dryer of whatever brand and you get about 10x the power of "domestic" ones. Then save up for Ghd's if you think you still need them. I have very thick wavy hair and it's the only thing that has properly tamed it. I dry with a large round brush in sections like the hairdresser does.

TheLavender Wed 20-Aug-14 08:13:58

I just ordered the GHD Air in a gift pack with brush, clips, diffuser and dust bag from their own website. They have 20 pounds off as to JL but you have to trade in your old dryer at JL. In the end I went with this because I have read a few reviews in this thread and another were people said they had both and prefer this.

Thank you for all your help and heres hoping my hair is going to look fab grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now