I really want to find an amazing coat for this autumn and winter

(25 Posts)
BBQSteak Mon 18-Aug-14 09:25:18

Wheredo I begin looking
There doesn't seem to be many in the shops at moment

Shia Mon 18-Aug-14 13:53:49

I have bought my coats now whilst the sales are on!

Didriksons Taylor coat. Bargain price in Navy.
https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/womens/outerwear/taylor-coat-5101

Didriksons Elsa coat. Also reduced and is lovely.
https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/womens/outerwear/elsa-waterproof-parka-5220

Seasalt Hellweathers. Always though they were old fogey looking but this is actually much better on than in the photos! It's lovely and lightweight and completely waterproof. Generous sizing. I bought a 10 and there's plenty of room to wear a fleece, jumper etc underneath.
https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/womens/outerwear/hellweathers-mac-7120

This is from cotton traders and whilst a raincoat is actually very warm. I bought it new from ebay for a tenner as it's an old style.
www.fabafterfifty.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/jacket.jpg

I've ordered this as an everyday mooching about cheap and cheerful coat.
www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Faux-Fur-Hooded-Detachable-Lined-Parka/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2946219&WT.ac=rec_viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed

Whilst I love shopping, I do most of my buying online in order to get better prices.

I've yet to buy a smart coat, but am on the lookout for an oversized grey wool type one.

tethersend Mon 18-Aug-14 15:01:03

Amazingly warm?

Amazingly stylish?

Amazingly daring?

All of the above?

What size/colouring are you and do you fancy a vintage princess coat or an all-weather smasher?

manofsponge Mon 18-Aug-14 15:04:32

I wil be recycling my black Limited one I got last year, for a formal coat. It has leatherette trim wink which shcuzzed it up a bit.
I think there are lots similar about bit like this www.greatplains.co.uk/product/womens+Coats+and+Jackets/J0CAF/Carla+Zip+Detail+Coat.htm

that Hellweathers one is DIRE

manofsponge Mon 18-Aug-14 15:04:57

Also love the hideously overpriced checked on in River Island

ThisBitchIsResting Mon 18-Aug-14 15:24:19

I do too. My heart is set on the Cos hooded wool coat they did the last two years . I've emailed them and they won't confirm if it's coming back this year so I am stalking the website like a madwoman.

Shia Mon 18-Aug-14 15:32:46

Manodsponge, I've long thought that the seasalt coats were for old fogeys and the stock photo makes it look like a tent. I decided to buy it after seeing other images on the internet.

It's actually more of a parka when on...

www.the-tide.co.uk/ekmps/shops/thetide/images/hellweathers-mac.-orca-3949-p.jpg

manofsponge Mon 18-Aug-14 15:35:54

i think I would want a WOW coat to be more formal maybe? Different strokes

Shia Mon 18-Aug-14 15:59:59

ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG9581070/m/Valetta1_2357265a.jpg

I wish I had bought this. It was when Amber valetta modelled for m&s.

Scarlett johannsson had a lovely grey coat an dive not found one that fits the bill.

noddyholder Mon 18-Aug-14 16:18:22
ZaraW Mon 18-Aug-14 16:23:19

Izzy Lane coats are ethical as well as amazing quality. I've had mine for three years and still loving it. They often have 50% sales.

ocelot41 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:40:45

Ness had some GORGEOUS and comparatively affordable wool coats last year. They still just have jackets and three quarter length ones up but am sure their winter range will be out soon.

ThisBitchIsResting Mon 18-Aug-14 19:34:05

That Pied a Tierre one is lovely noddy. I like a funnel neck. Can't stand collarless though, just doesn't work on me (wide shoulders, I look like a baseball player)

Charitygirl1 Mon 18-Aug-14 22:48:59

I really love this but I am not paying LK sodding Bennet £425.

Has confirmed desire for scarlet wool coat. Sadly I just don't suit all the oversized bikers and cocoon coats that are still around. I am as much a slave to fashion as the next women but my clothes need waists.

Charitygirl1 Mon 18-Aug-14 22:49:13
bikermouse1 Mon 18-Aug-14 23:02:51

Scarlet coat ab-fab. Shame about the price thosad

I don't understand this English thing - grey skies, drab clothes....where's the feel good factor in that, then?

Charity, please post any pics of cheery coats you come across, I can't get out much to trawl the shops atm. Sometimes work just gets in the way. Shouldn't be allowed

TheFillyjonk Mon 18-Aug-14 23:30:06

I had a coat several years ago that I LOVED. It was from River Island (I never like their stuff normally) and had the most flattering waisted tulip shape. It had a velvet collar and cuffs, gold buttons and green/navy tartan print. Basically I think I loved it because it was similar to a coat I had when I was four blush. Anyway, the beloved coat got nicked from a shitty pub and I've never found one I loved since.

(Have attached photo of the coat in vain hope that somebody has seen one. X-ed out my pissed face for your viewing pleasure!)

TheFillyjonk Mon 18-Aug-14 23:37:01

I love the vintage vibes of this one though... Comes in black too.
www.eggnchipsclothing.co.uk/products/banned-clothing-red-vintage-coat

I'm not big on practical coats, I'm afraid. I buy ones I like and then freeze my tits off.

Charitygirl1 Tue 19-Aug-14 06:38:50

Lovely coat FJ but that pic looks so creepy, with your crossed out face.

Shia Tue 19-Aug-14 08:43:58
ohbladee Tue 19-Aug-14 08:57:09

I might go for a Cos one...

sunflower49 Tue 19-Aug-14 09:10:05

FJ yes I agree the coat's lovely but that pic looks like something out of a horror film!

Maybe search ebay for gothic or lolita type checked coats?

I am looking through this thread. I haven't bought a coat for three years and think I need to this year, unless I want to look like a tramp.

I'm scouring Beyond Retro, I want a wool duffle coat. They have this which is almost right, but I'm not quite sure about grey.

They have some great 80's coats too, which might be better with my love of horrible 80's jumpers.

i have the hellsweather one and it is fabbo for summer rain and early autumn with a cozy big scarf round the next. It is much more parka like irl and crucially you don't look like a dingbat in it on the beach or in town. V versatile.

I have an aigle duvet jobbie for deep winter from last year (which came out of the washing amchine and tumble dryer in perfect nick - I did use waterproofing washing liquid though). I ADORE it - it is sooooo cozy but light and has a belt to prevent the "rolled in a sleeping bag" look. Covers bum completely and has fleecy lined pockets for your hands. LOVE.

I would like a warm dressy coat - maybe boyfriend style - something a bit more fun. Not looking to spend too much as I have an old Jaeger long black formal wrap coat which is still perfectly fine for dressy nights.

TheFillyjonk Tue 19-Aug-14 11:56:04

Haha, I apologise for the creepy photo - believe me, my face was scarier though! I don't like the Joe Brown's coat, I'm afraid. The gothic Lolita stuff is a bit silly-frilly for me, too.

I do need to get a warm coat this year. Warm is my goal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now