White patent doc martens. I'm 34. Yes or no?

(55 Posts)
GaryShitpeas Sun 17-Aug-14 20:00:23

I really really want some

And wondered what the verdict was on here....

And if it a Yes then what would I wear with them?

Greengardenpixie Sun 17-Aug-14 20:10:35

Well...i like doc martens..but for me, they were a thing i would have worn in my teens and early or even mid to late twenties. I just dont think they would be me now..but i am a good 10 years older than you. Im not sure about white either tbh. Some of the patterned ones look cute. Plain white might just be in your face?

dexter73 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:12:17

I don't like them. Any other colour is fine, just not white.

DurhamDurham Sun 17-Aug-14 20:14:00

I wore Dr Martins when I was a teenager then in my 20's I stopped wearing them as I thought that I had outgrown them. I bought a new pair of burgundy patent leather ones last year in my 40's and I love them. I wear them with jeans, skirts and dresses.

I have to say though for the first few months they were horrible to wear, they are broken in now and starting to fit my feet so I think they will be great for the next ten years or so smile

Pagwatch Sun 17-Aug-14 20:14:29

Tbh I thought non black Dr Martens we're exclusively the preserve of 30 something women and childrn under 10.I think you'll be fine.
I don't know anyone under 25 that would wear them. I asked my 21 year old who laughed loudly.

No, if you're old enough to have worn them first time round then you're too old this time

punygod Sun 17-Aug-14 20:18:13

I got a pair of red patent DMs for my 40th birthday and I love them.

What's all this 'too old' rubbish?

Wear what you like. If you like it, that's really all that matters.

ThatBloodyWoman Sun 17-Aug-14 20:21:05

I am over 40 and have and wear dm boots. Black leeather ones though.They are practical andstill cool as fuck.

White patent ones, not so much.....

They'll look dreadful in days.

GaryShitpeas Sun 17-Aug-14 20:34:12

Omg pagwatch

Am absolutely blush at being laughed at by a 21 year old blush

That's told me all I need to know basically sad

Ujjayi Sun 17-Aug-14 20:34:56

Go for it. There is a fab photo shoot in September's Vogue featuring hideously expensive gorgeous chunky knitwear & white DMs. It convinced me to seek a pair for myself. I am 43 and will probably choose black instead. I wore them in the early 90s too after ruining my poor teenage feet in the 80s in white stilettos blush.

Paloma12 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:40:14

No no no. They were bad enough first time around, and I definitely wore them! With skirts! I just cringe now.

Pagwatch Sun 17-Aug-14 20:40:38

No Gary, either I phrased that badly or you have just misunderstood.

My son was laughing at the idea of Dr Martens being worn by 20 something girls.
They are not too young for someone in their 30s. They are not what his age group would wear is all.

monsterowl Sun 17-Aug-14 21:41:58

If you like them, get them. If anyone says you're too old/tasteless/embarrassing, give them a violent middle finger grin

BloodFlower Sun 17-Aug-14 21:45:14

Yes, yes.

gerbiltamer Sun 17-Aug-14 21:52:41

I am 39 and bought a red patent eight hole Clemancies last year and they are great. Agree about white patent looking scuffed after a short time as mine have marked already. Go for it, I adore mine and the grips are amazing.

AverageMom Sun 17-Aug-14 21:52:53

Doc Martens are cool. I'm 24.

White is an interesting choice, probably not what I'd choose, but I'm not super cool and en vogue so if you think it will work for you, you should absolutely do it.

For me, DMs = Caitlin Moran, who is fabulous in every sense

burnishedsilver Sun 17-Aug-14 22:05:53

Not in white.

AuntieStella Sun 17-Aug-14 22:16:02

Definitely not white (unless you're made of money for thousands of replacement pairs, as they'll be while for only approx 5 minutes).

CointreauVersial Sun 17-Aug-14 23:50:29

Sorry, I think they sound vile at any age (just MHO).

50ShadesOfSummer Mon 18-Aug-14 06:52:34

Sounds fine to me. (But I am mid forties and bought a patent pink pair last year so may not be the most restrained, conservative and elegant dresser.)

grumblepuss Mon 18-Aug-14 07:04:11

I'm not convinced by white, but black ones would be good, or the Chelsea boots I saw someone wearing the other day were lovely.

Floisme Mon 18-Aug-14 07:11:19

What is it with the 30-somethings on here at the moment? Of course they are fine if you like them and besides - as another poster has pointed out - you see very few young people wearing them these days.

And grin at if you're old enough to have worn them first time round then you're too old this time. If I followed that rule I'd have to wear a crinoline.

Yes to Dr Martens (I have 3 pairs & I'm, ahem, nearly 40), no to white patent - too teenage IMO.

Although MonsterOwl has a very good point!

AuntieBrenda Mon 18-Aug-14 08:43:08

I wanted a flowery pair until I saw that Jess from cbeebies mini beast show wearing them. She has the most irritating voice ever and she put me off :/
I'm 33, 25 wks pg with my 2nd dc and I fully intend to buy some Dms when I get paid at the end of sept. I wasn't allowed them on the 90s sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now