Square ageing arse

(23 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Fri 08-Aug-14 17:04:23

I've always felt good about my figure apart from the odd period of slight weight gain.. I'm slightly pear-shaped - 10 on top, 12 on bottom.. Small waist, B cup boobs.. Not overly keen on my legs but they're ok..and I have (or so I thought) a shapely round arse..

Imagine my horror when examine myself in the mirror naked this morning my arse seemed to be starting to resemble this picture (please note, this is not actually me!) shock

Please help me regain my lovely round bum with as little effort as possible! I'm 41 and allergic to exercise but understand some may be required.... sad

AmethystMoon Fri 08-Aug-14 17:06:27

Squats n lunges.... Lots of them too!

KittyandTeal Fri 08-Aug-14 17:08:20

Yep squats and lunges. Done wonders for my bum. You have to do lots and regularly though

plentyofshoes Fri 08-Aug-14 19:39:33

Get spinning wink

HappyGirlNow Fri 08-Aug-14 19:41:56

Ahhh.. Guess it was too much to ask to find something that was minimum effort? I did mention my exercise allergy...? Won't just taking the stairs instead of the lift help??? confused grin

Thanks for suggestions...

CointreauVersial Fri 08-Aug-14 22:22:36

I thought you were referring to my DH in the thread title. grin grin

HappyGirlNow Fri 08-Aug-14 22:25:18

grin Cointreau... No, just my posterior unfortunately...

SofaCanary Fri 08-Aug-14 22:35:12

Do you need to use weights for the squats and lunges?

I've noticed a particular breed of young women who have these incredibly high round arses, more pronounced than just your average young girl - they train with heavy barbells apparently.

soaccidentprone Fri 08-Aug-14 22:59:23

Walk up lots of very steep hills.

Walk upstairs, 2 steps at a time.

Stand about a foot in front of a chair, rest the top of one of your feet on the chair, so that you are standing on 1 leg and the other leg bent at the knee. Now gently bend your front leg until you are as low down as you can go. So now do this 20 times. Increase by 2 every day.

If your bum muscles ache the next day, you are doing it right.

NerfHerder Fri 08-Aug-14 23:03:34

Accident - so you're facing away from the chair?

CheeseBored Fri 08-Aug-14 23:06:33

I think that bum looks quite nice actually!

bigTillyMint Sat 09-Aug-14 00:58:59

CV grin

BOFster Sat 09-Aug-14 01:04:09

You are lucky that it's your arse, because it is formed from muscle as well as ageing migratory fat. But it will require work, and lots of it. Get building those glutes!

soaccidentprone Sat 09-Aug-14 09:14:57

Yes, facing away from the chair.

If your bum muscles ache the next day, you are doing it right smile

MCSpammer Sat 09-Aug-14 09:27:22

Ahhhh grin this is why I love Mumsnet. Am totally hungover and for some bizarre reason the sight of your bare arsed has put a big smile on my face!!! Not what I was expecting to see. Haha.

MCSpammer Sat 09-Aug-14 09:28:39

Oh! Not you. Actually I think this is a picture of me confused

HappyGirlNow Sat 09-Aug-14 11:19:58

Haha yes not me MCSpammer mine's isn't quite like that... yet grin

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! One thing I'm worried about, years ago I did a fair amount of body pump classes - lots of squats and lunges.. And I stopped because 1. I hate the gym and 2. It was actually bulking up my thighs which aren't the slimmest relative to the rest of me.. Bigger thighs was not the look I was going for!

Will all these excercises bulk my thighs too? I definitely can't have that!

Also, would leg lifts behind me work? Ie standing on one leg and lifting other one backward as bum muscle clenches? Hope this makes sense!

peasandlove Sat 09-Aug-14 11:24:02

you could also lie on your back with your knees bent and feet tucked quite close to your arse. Back flat on the floor then raise your arse up, suck stomach in and hold up squeezing your butt cheeks together like you're holding a piece of paper between them. You can also squeeze your knees together to work out your inner thighs at the same time.

RonaldMcDonald Sat 09-Aug-14 11:34:14

I have no arse and have tried everything
Now I spin, still nada
I am utterly jealous of big arses

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Sat 09-Aug-14 11:37:58

Google Brazilian butt workout and you'll find lots of exercises. They're all a bit of a pain though tbh, the glutes are the largest muscle in the body so isolating them and getting them to work harder than the rest of you is quite hard.

SpringyReframed Sat 09-Aug-14 11:39:25

Try Pilates classes. Works for me. (And isnt too sweaty or painful!)

WitchWay Sat 09-Aug-14 13:29:06

Cycling has toned my legs without adding bulk (in fact they're a bit slimmer) & also perked up my bottom grin

BackToYourselfYouSillyOldElf Sat 09-Aug-14 19:59:15

Running has sorted my bum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now