MN haircut

(23 Posts)

Have been on here for a few years & seen people mention the MN haircut. I always assumed it was a jokey stereotype put on MN by the dm or something similar blush
However, have just discovered the truth of it, and am very tempted.

Does anyone have this style, or any advice on this?

SunshineOutdoors Thu 07-Aug-14 19:56:19

Ooh I love an mn haircut thread. Don't do it. Do it and then post the results

SunshineOutdoors Thu 07-Aug-14 19:59:01

I got very weird layers and an embarrassing trip to the hairdresser.

So that'

So don't do it? Does anyone have anything good to say about it, or does it always end in disaster?

msfreud Fri 08-Aug-14 15:23:31

I've been doing it since last December - a couple of times now. It turns out great! I didn't cut a fringe in with it, though, as I already had a fringe I'm growing out so it's now a slightly longer side fringe. I don't think I would use this method for a very short cut, it feels more difficult the shorter you go.

I've added a photo to my profile page with my face blurred out to maintain my status as an international woman of mystery. wink

JohnCusacksWife Fri 08-Aug-14 18:16:16

Did it this afternoon for the first time. It worked really well. Took all the excess weight out my hair and I've got lovely swishy, Flickr layers. V pleased!

JohnCusacksWife Fri 08-Aug-14 18:19:02

Flicky layers!

Ok, have been contipla

Not sure what happened there. Have been thinking about it all night, and am just going to do it now. <nervous>

Have done it, am now petrified to take the band out! I feel I have just done an awful thing here!

GiantGraspingCeramicFist Fri 08-Aug-14 23:41:00

Ah well, too late now grin.

I did it once and looked fabulous, did it again and looked like Noel Fielding. It's a crapshoot.

SunshineOutdoors Fri 08-Aug-14 23:43:08

Post a pic post a pic! I do find just having your hair up in a band like that for a while does make it fall nicely iyswim. Still not convinced by the cut though, maybe I just didn't do it right. How much did you take off? Is it a dramatic or subtle change? How much wine did you have beforehand?

SunshineOutdoors Fri 08-Aug-14 23:44:16

I need to go to sleep so please update soon!

juneybean Fri 08-Aug-14 23:45:54

Ooo I did mine a month ago but my hair is quite long that I could salvage it if it went tits up. It looks okay though. Really nice when straightened.

No wine beforehand.. am going to pour myself a large glass now though. DS wandered into the bathroom whilst I was doing it and was very hmm
I did it once, felt I did the chopping bit wrong, so cut it shorter and hacked again. Will update when I have pulled the band out.

Theselittlelightsofmine Sat 09-Aug-14 00:00:32

I can't remember how to do it?

TeaAndALemonTart Sat 09-Aug-14 00:08:58

Photos!

SunshineOutdoors Sat 09-Aug-14 00:09:22

Update update!

If it does turn out to be slightly mullet-y, then the trick is to do two short pigtails a la the Beverley Hillbillies on your neck and cut into them too.

Ok, so I took the band out and it was slightly longer on one side. So I tied it up again, this time on that side, and repeated the process. I know, I know .
It looks ok I think. With a wash and blow dry, maybe it will look good <hopeful>
On the other hand, maybe I drank too much wine and am deluded.

I've had it for a few years now and it works well for my hair and phobia of hairdressers. Have to get my mum to cut the back though as it doesn't seem to do that.

ChishandFips33 Sat 09-Aug-14 23:07:08

I've had it for a few years now and it works well for my hair and phobia of hairdressers. This! Me too - saved a fortune!

Have to get my mum to cut the back though as it doesn't seem to do that
Try brushing hair as normal and then part from crown, down the back to nape of neck (like putting in low bunches)
Pull each one forward and brush smooth - join together under your chin (stay with me!) and fasten with a bobble (lock bathroom door to avoid scaring small children)
Brush 'pony tail' bit smooth and CHOP!
You get a graduated cut and a shorter length

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now