Driving myself nuts trying to find the "bits" to go with my wedding dress, please help!

(31 Posts)
PurplePidjin Thu 07-Aug-14 12:30:07

I have my dress, it's floor length white with lace over, corset back. Strapless. Very plain, fairly me given by a friend who was going to take it to the charity shop, I'll take it there once I've used it

Now I need all the bits to go with, and I have no idea where to look! Ideally I would like a teal 3/4 sleeve bolero, matching shoes and matching ties and/or waistcoats for DP and DS (20mo). Alternatively, I'll go for a white bolero with Irregular Choice shoes and the whole matchy matchy thing for DS and DP.

We were going to go for Easter next year but a friend has booked hers for then so we're going for October half term. That's 2014, btw shock Just waiting for the church to let me know when they can fit us in and I can sort the other stuff - this will be a very low-key wedding, btw, so all I need to do once I've got my date is book somewhere for a family lunch (or dinner depending on timing!)

I won't be doing bridesmaids and pageboys, if any kids want to they can wear something smart and trot up the aisle with me. Bouquet is going to be crochet flowers in teal and white, made by me and a group of friends then auctioned for charity. So I don't need to find all that kind of thing thankfully!

I've looked on John Lewis, M&S, BHS and Debenhams. What I think I need is one shop I can physically go to and pick out all the accessories in one hit, in matching colours/fabrics. Does that exist?

Thank you thanks

Many congratulations Pidj

Is this any good ebay It also comes in men's size and you can get a matching cravat. I know it's not a physical shop though.

PurplePidjin Thu 07-Aug-14 18:27:23

That's fab, thanks Woolly - but where do I get matching stuff for me?

Is it even possible? It must be, I can't be the first bridezilla person to want these things to match, surely?

Do you know a dressmaker?

I'd buy fabric and have a dressmaker make bolero, waistcoats and cravats. My local bridal shop dyes white/ivory shoes to match colour swatches. This may not be the most cost effective solution though!

Have you tried a bridal shop? It is coming to the end of peak wedding season and there may be a few bargains to be had.

Would DS and DP object to crocheted outfits grin grin

tethersend Thu 07-Aug-14 18:54:50
Lucked Thu 07-Aug-14 19:05:55
PurplePidjin Thu 07-Aug-14 19:14:40

Probvably not Woolly but not sure I'm motivated enough - decent yarn would cost as much as just buying the damn stuff, if I can fine where from! Feel free to send me flowers for the bouquet though - are you in said fb group yet?

Thank you Tethers and Lucked those are the ones I found, but unfortunately out of stock in my size. BHS have all matching stuff on their website - including a lovely paisley waistcoat for the boys - but only in tiny and huge sizes. I'm a 12/14 and shoe size 6 so pretty average and therefore sold out. Do you think they'll have new stuff in soon, as they seem to be in the middle of a huge sale?

And why is this so hard? I'm planning the easiest wedding on the planet without ditching the entire family for a £50 cheapie down the registry office! Damn e thinking our families might like to come hmmgrin

Lucked Thu 07-Aug-14 19:22:43

shoes

Struggling to find nice shoes perhaps get them dyed.

Lucked Thu 07-Aug-14 19:29:52

I would go to a bridal shop for the bolero from the bridesmaids section as you will be able to get any colour but go ASAP as they will have to order it.

PurplePidjin Thu 07-Aug-14 19:53:00

They are cute, Lucked what do you think about getting just a cream cover up (I can't bear my shotputter arms and the dress is strapless) and going wild with the shoes?

www.irregularchoice.com/shop/xhr-list/product/6260/pearly-girly.html

or

www.irregularchoice.com/shop/xhr-list/product/6010/dippy-daisy.html

or

www.irregularchoice.com/shop/xhr-list/product/6112/star-dust.html although I think I need heels, at least for the walking up the aisle bit

That would solve a few problems, especially with the tight time frame, as then I just need matching DP and DS stuff which appears to be a little more straightforward? and I get to buy Irregular Choice shoes which I lust after but can't afford

PinkSparklyElephant Fri 08-Aug-14 12:01:52

I had one of these instead of a bolero - Wrapor

I would think they could be dyed but Kay, the lady who makes them, is lovely and very helpful.

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 13:28:11

Thank you Pink I was leaning more towards a jacket because by the end of October it could well be pissing down!

What do you style experts think of this? https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/164770685/duchess-satin-wedding-bolero-jacket-34?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_search_query=satin+boleros&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 13:33:41
PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 13:36:53

With the second Etsy one I could ask them to send some spare fabric over too and make ties for DP and DS (my mum has a pattern and we can both sew)

The white bolero and the pearly irregular choice shoes are great together - sieze the chance for brilliant shoes while you can! (and the waistcoats from the ebay link for the boys and DP).

PinkSparklyElephant Fri 08-Aug-14 15:17:45

I prefer the first one. I think the second one looks too fussy although it would depend on your dress - the one they are using in the picture doesn't look right with that jacket.

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 18:29:11

Uh oh, the only ones of those shoes they have are half a size too big... I'm trawling ebay now!

Are there any other makers of shoes like Irregular Choice - ie not just plain colours?

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 18:30:51
FamiliesShareGerms Fri 08-Aug-14 19:40:10

I would normally always plump for the interesting shoes option, but bear in mind that they will hardly be seen underneath a long dress.

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 19:50:12

I've just put the pearly ones on my Mum's credit card shock According to the power that is farcebook IC come up small so I should get away with it. And I will send them back if they're abominably uncomfortable no i won't i'll limp like an ugly sister

Families I will damn well make sure these get seen wink

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 20:01:55

OMG I think I got the last pair...

Sorry got sidetracked while posting and probably no help whatsoever but found these so will post anyway...

Schuh have some Irregular Choice resp.schuh.co.uk/brands/irregular-choice/#g=1|womens&b=124|Irregular choice

www.schuh.co.uk/womens-blue-schuh-mega-babe/1111515050/

www.schuh.co.uk/womens-multi-privileged-sierra/1162109960/

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Aug-14 20:23:59

Wild all help is very much appreciated! I've order the Perfect ones I linked above now though so fingers crossed they fit at least adequately grin

Now, where do I look for bolero jackets, ties, waistcoats etc? Any ideas? Bournemouth and Southampton are my nearest shopping destinations if anyone knows a wedding-y type shop that I could try?

EvilHerbivore Fri 08-Aug-14 20:32:20

Do you like this?

EvilHerbivore Fri 08-Aug-14 20:34:41

Teal waistcoats also on eBay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now