Uni bag for mature student!

(22 Posts)
RosieLig Wed 06-Aug-14 23:15:54

Hi,

I need something practical but not too ugly for Uni. I may need to carry a laptop and I may cycle so I thought a backpack would be better.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind spending a bit for something good.

Thanks!

watching with interest as I need the same!

Pickelback Wed 06-Aug-14 23:18:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RosieLig Wed 06-Aug-14 23:22:26

Ok, thanks. I was looking at this one, but the price tag is quite hefty!

www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/surge-ii-backpack/p83211.html

HolgerDanske Wed 06-Aug-14 23:24:36

Zatchel?

Big sale going on just now...

Lilymaid Wed 06-Aug-14 23:25:17

Nkomo do smart laptop/work bags including backpacks for women. Not cheap,but stylish.

Lilymaid Wed 06-Aug-14 23:26:00

Knomo not Nkomo!

Pickelback Wed 06-Aug-14 23:26:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RosieLig Wed 06-Aug-14 23:40:58

Knomo look lovely although they're not all that roomy and may not survive cycling and a Scottish winter!

Zatchels don't have anything really. I have one of their satchels and whilst they look good it drives me mad that there's no lining or compartments!

Tempted by the NF one. Yes it's not all that stylish but all those compartments and zips look great (I can't wait to fill it with lovely new pens and files- am I sad??,)

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 06-Aug-14 23:49:18

Watching with interest I need one too ! I was looking at this one

What are you studying op?

HolgerDanske Thu 07-Aug-14 00:59:42

Hmmm I'm trying to remember what I found most useful, but it completely escapes me. Don't think it was a rucksack. It might have been a cath kidston box bag or carry all or whatever they were called back then. It was good for carrying lots of books plus folder and lunch box. And the oil cloth meant it was rain proof which helped a lot!

Selks Thu 07-Aug-14 01:23:15

I've got an Osprey courier bag, it's fab.

wafflyversatile Thu 07-Aug-14 01:38:55

Maybe a leather back pack, though not sure there would be one as big as the one you link to.

something like this.

www.luggagesuperstore.co.uk/tuscany-leather-pechino-leather-backpack-tl9052/p2294

KoalaDownUnder Thu 07-Aug-14 03:51:52

Selks are courier bags okay for cycling, though? I would have thought they'd pull you off-centre.

OP, I know lots of people who swear by Crumpler. Prices are eye-watering, but for a lifetime warranty and something to protect expensive electronics, maybe worth it...

www.crumpler.com/au/backpacks

HolgerDanske Thu 07-Aug-14 07:11:30

God I was being thick last night confused

Didn't see about the laptop, didn't see about the cycling...

Yes it sounds like a good rucksack is your best bet.

Jeep make very sturdy ones that aren't too expensive.

Shia Thu 07-Aug-14 08:17:57

Some men's zatchels have back pack straps.

You can ask for them to be added on women's ones as well.

Last year I bought my sons girlfriend a red zatchels satchel for UNi. She loves it and my son has made something to attach it like a pannier to her bicycle.

Selks Thu 07-Aug-14 09:01:56

Courier bags were designed for bike couriers grin so yes, if you get one that is designed for cycling use! which these are. You have them slung on your back, and they have an extra strap.
Osprey also do some good backpacks too though smile

Selks Thu 07-Aug-14 09:03:18

I have a zatchel and would not recommend if for this. Uncomfortable, stiff and nowhere roomy enough, just not practical.

elephanteraser Thu 07-Aug-14 09:10:25

i got a nice plain black leather flapover back from tk maxx for uni, was great could fit in all the files etc and was �50 you could sling over shoulder for cycling was like a courier bag. def check them out.

don't underestimate how much room you need for books etc!"

KoalaDownUnder Thu 07-Aug-14 09:46:19

Re: the zatchels, they're great as fashion items but presumably you want something waterproof and padded if you're carrying a laptop in it.

aoife24 Thu 07-Aug-14 16:38:50

If you're cycling what about aa pannier like this https://www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/gifts/her/bobbin-straw-pannier. ou can use it off the bike too nd it is room and holds a laptop.

IsItFridayYetPlease Thu 07-Aug-14 16:59:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now