What has happened to Links of London? Just had a look and it's all expensive rubbish!

(23 Posts)
Marmiteandjamislush Fri 01-Aug-14 19:20:12

We had a teeny lottery win recently and my lovely husband said that I could spend it all on myself to get a nice piece of jewelry. It's not a massive amount of money and I am not Mrs Flash with this stuff and I'd bought a sweetie bracelet a million years ago (before they were everywhere) and it's really heavy and well made. Yet I've just been on the web and it's lost something in terms of quality and difference and the prices shock so, I've got £250, where should I go?

A few pointers:

Silver suits me best

Don't like 'delicate' styles, but do like understated classic pieces, think Jensen cuff

Not keen on obvious branding such as Tiffany hearts etc.

Like British brands, individual, handmade ie. not bothered about a label, just quality.

Thank you so much

calonwyn Fri 01-Aug-14 19:41:30
Namechangearoonie123 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:42:43

Second hand. I've bought so much high quality jewellery from EBay. I got an Art Deco diamond ring for less than that.

Namechangearoonie123 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:45:32
Marmiteandjamislush Fri 01-Aug-14 19:50:53

That ring is fab! Have you bought from the seller before?

Marmiteandjamislush Fri 01-Aug-14 19:50:53

That ring is fab! Have you bought from the seller before?

Marmiteandjamislush Fri 01-Aug-14 19:52:09

Astley looks great too. Decision decisions smile

Eastpoint Fri 01-Aug-14 20:11:59

Dinny Hall? dinnyhall.com

Sign up for emails/newsletters for these companies & you'll probably get at discount for being a new subscriber.

PittTheYounger Fri 01-Aug-14 20:16:53

Second hand from local jeweller IMO

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Aug-14 20:17:39

Jeremy Heber, church house jewellery. Amazing quality and fab prices.

Picklepest Fri 01-Aug-14 20:20:35

Tiffany? £250 would buy you silver. And a turquoise box is very satisfying.

I'd also recommend Brilliant. Gold with 'diamonds'. Well used shop in London. Cocktail rings are nice.

divingoffthebalcony Fri 01-Aug-14 20:36:23

Stephen Einhorn jewellery is gorgeous, I'd recommend having a look at the website

Euphemia Fri 01-Aug-14 20:40:24

Sheila Fleet, from Orkney.

Jcee Fri 01-Aug-14 20:41:19

I was coming here to say Stephen Einhorn but diving beat me to it. I have a gorgeous silver charm necklace from there which is really different and always gets comments whenever I wear it

GarlicAugustus Fri 01-Aug-14 20:52:20

I like buying stuff from second-hand jewellers, too. In fact, I can't afford proper jewellery any more but still go & mooch round for the sheer pleasure.

I bought something from Namechange's ebay seller, Millie's Collectables. Was pleased. And, omg, I want that ring! I bet it'll go higher now this thread's advertised it grin

Marmiteandjamislush Fri 01-Aug-14 21:00:25

All gorgeous suggestions, just off to drool with wine now the kids are finally asleep!

Namechangearoonie123 Fri 01-Aug-14 21:04:15

Yes, I've bought from them before and their feedback is really good.

lovingmatleave Fri 01-Aug-14 21:08:11

You could look at Lapponia too, especially if you like Jensen stuff. Chisholm Hunter stock some of their range. I have and love one of their rings, and you could get two with your budget.
www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/lapponia-jewellery-b351

Alternatively Dower and Hall have some nice stuff but I would only ever get in the sale as they heavily reduce.

Euphemia Fri 01-Aug-14 21:14:34

Damn, I have myself drooling over Sheila Fleet again! I want these!

DoItTooJulia Fri 01-Aug-14 21:17:21

Come to the jewellery quarter in Brum for a mooch?

Marmiteandjamislush Fri 01-Aug-14 21:28:01

And the winner is..... Stephen Einhorn Best of all they are under budget so the lovely husband and kids can have something too. £50 each for kids in savings and £50 for husband, will buy some nice coffee with the £5 at Waitrose tomorrow! Thanks for the help ladies. Will keep all the others in mind for Christmas, birthdays and so on. Everything was just lovely thanks

divingoffthebalcony Fri 01-Aug-14 23:03:51

Excellent! Glad you liked their stuff! I have a charm bracelet - I know some people find charm bracelets a bit naff, but the charms are so quirky, I love it.

GarlicAugustus Sat 02-Aug-14 02:22:19

Oooh, very chic! Enjoy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now