Would I be mad to cut a fringe into my fine, straight hair?

(21 Posts)
fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 04:54:12

My hair is soft, fine and poker straight. I look terrible with it styled up or back, like I'm back at school again. I'd love to have a new fringe but am too skint to pay for one! Plus I'm impatient smile

Would I be mad to cut one in myself? I'm trying to find "fine hair fringe" pictures on google, but all it's showing me are models and celebrities who have hair extensions hmm

Any tips??

KeatsiePie Sun 27-Jul-14 05:05:30

Pinterest had this for bangs fine hair -- looks like you'd be best off with what they call "piecey," sort of layered/uneven, which I'd be terrified of trying to cut myself.

But maybe it'd be easier as you wouldn't be cutting and recutting trying to get the ends in a straight line? grin

fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 05:27:09

Yeah I don't think a blunt style would do me any favours, or even be possible! I'm just so bored and really fancy a change, something to add a bit of interest to my generally rubbish hair!!

CawCanny Sun 27-Jul-14 06:12:04

Noooooo! Way too scary to do it yourself, you'll hate it.
You have to think seriously about where your hair falls into it's parting or you might end up with "curtains" instead of a fringe.
I have vv fine hair and have been told more than once not to get a fringe because of my natural parting (the middle- and it ain't budging for no one!)

fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 07:05:23

My parting can go wherever I tell it too, usually on the left side, but it doesn't mind being out in the right or, rarely, in the centre.

Would it really look so bad??? sad

GertieFinkle Sun 27-Jul-14 07:19:51

I've got fine straight hair, mine likes to part in the centre but I refuse to let it. I have a fringe (which I love because it hides my Einstein sized foreheadgrin) - the only time it goes a bit curtainsy is a) if I don't blow dry it b) if I've got really hot and sweaty. I love my fringe but there is no way on gods earth I would try and cut it in myself. I do trim it occasionally if I'm starting to look like Claudia Winkleman but only if my know my hairdresser can sort it out soon after!

Can you ask a hairdresser to just cut in a fringe rather than a whole hair cut (could be much cheaper) or do you have a friend who is a hairdresser. I urge you not to do it yourself or you could end up looking like Kate puckrik in her The Word days <ages self>. If you insist on this insanity do not cut it wet - for same reasons as above!

fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 10:15:14

I did it.

It's awful. shock blush

All those YouTube videos making it look simple are lies!!

fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 10:15:54

Gertie I should have listened to you!

GertieFinkle Sun 27-Jul-14 10:52:18

What happened? Too short, too long, not straight?!

fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 10:59:07

Just horrendous! I took most of the length off and it was too long. So I took some more off and it just went hugely short! And, uneven! Heavier on one side than the other. And blunt. Awful. DH didn't know what to say haha. Have just clipped it to the side for now!

fizzylime Sun 27-Jul-14 11:01:07

And the heavier side was also longer.

Lovingfreedom Sun 27-Jul-14 11:02:40

Haha oh dear....I've def been here before. Next time go to the hairdresser. You'll need to pay for the initial cut but they will then trim your fringe for free.

Mrsgrumble Sun 27-Jul-14 11:03:08

Oh fuck. Headband ?

GertieFinkle Sun 27-Jul-14 11:04:38

Hairdresser Monday then! Don't worry, they'll have seen worse grin

KeatsiePie Tue 29-Jul-14 01:20:20

Oh no!! I'm so sorry. Definitely go and get it trimmed, Gertie is right, they'll have seen everything.

kickassangel Tue 29-Jul-14 01:49:26

I think you're a candidate for the mumsnetter haircut.

There are threads on classics on this, with links to show you how.

Happy36 Tue 29-Jul-14 01:52:14

Go to a hairdresser that advertises free fringe trims. No need to reveal that you cut the original not them.

TheBuskersDog Tue 29-Jul-14 08:30:17

Hairdressers do free fringe trims for clients who have paid to have their hair cut in their salon because the fringe usually needs trimming in between cuts, they don't do it for just anyone who wanders in!

fizzylime Tue 29-Jul-14 09:29:21

Good news! Despite it looking awful on Sunday, I found this blog tutorial and the comment "i used your guide to help me fix the fringe that i cut shitly the first time." made me think what the heck, so I re-did it according to her method, and.... it looks amazing!!!

kickass my hair isn't long enough for the MN haircut yet, though I might be tempted one day... wink

fizzylime Tue 29-Jul-14 09:31:23

It is probably still a bit too short, but the shape is ten times better now, and give it a few weeks and the length should be good too! Wahoo!!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 29-Jul-14 16:22:01

Oh God,I read your thread like this shock sad grin

It's a fine art cutting a fringe, even a good hairdresser can fuck it up at the last minute ime. I've only had 2 hairdressers in the last 20 odd years that have done a decent fringe on me.

Glad it's ok OPsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now