Dry clean only...really?

(14 Posts)
Greengardenpixie Mon 21-Jul-14 10:41:23

I have a couple of dresses...i dont do dry cleaning tbh but these are work dresses and say dry clean only. Should i bite the bullet and just put them in a wool wash. I really cba going to the dry cleaners with them!
Anyone else wash dry clean only things?
I dont tend to by dry clean only things...dont know what got into me hmm

Greengardenpixie Mon 21-Jul-14 10:42:20

*sorry typo..buy

what fabric are they?

SoldeInvierno Mon 21-Jul-14 10:45:25

I wash silk and wool by hand in cold water. What are your dresses made of? The only thing I dry clean are coats and jackets

Greengardenpixie Mon 21-Jul-14 10:46:54

They are made of wool with a silky lining. It has been in my laundry basket since er winter.....blush

Pagwatch Mon 21-Jul-14 10:48:48

It depends what they are made of.
I wash the vast majority of dry clean only stuff with very expensive dresses, jackets and coats the min exception.

Lakeland do a dry clean kit where you can dry clean clothes in your tumble dryer. I used it on ds1s school suits in between 'proper' dry cleans.

Pagwatch Mon 21-Jul-14 10:49:38

X-posted.
Try the dry clean kit.

Greengardenpixie Mon 21-Jul-14 10:51:49

Thanks!

I would probably wash them on a wool cycle but use a detergent specifically for wool/silk (bio products will 'eat' away at the wool/silk)

Stokey Mon 21-Jul-14 11:34:58

Cold hand wash is normally fine - I do all the BR tops and trousers which are Dry Clean only like that.

But if it is a dress you love I would take it to the cleaners

TropicalHorse Mon 21-Jul-14 12:16:43

A very wealthy, worldly and elegant elderly lady of my acquaintance was telling me how she washes her couture outfits in the shower with shampoo! I admit I've tried it with good effect but only on Oxfam 'pieces'!!

LeoandBoosmum Mon 21-Jul-14 12:38:25

Reiterating what others have said...cool water and a mild detergent...a gentle spin, reshape, and dry flat...usually fine. I think a lot of companies put DCO labels in just to protect themselves...or to look fancy (you know, this is a quality piece so can only be dry-cleaned)! :D Only if it's completely irreplaceable would I dry clean (if I could tolerate dry cleaning...makes me feel ill) but, bear in mind, they can still ruin clothes!
I'd recommend this detergent, by the way:
www.ecoverdirect.com/shop/images/products/EDELICATE1L_large.jpg?t=1476043919
Can usually get it in Waitrose of Tesco.

leadrightfoot Mon 21-Jul-14 12:39:50

generally I give stuff like that a nice gentle cool hand wash followed by a slow spin and hang to dry if it survives that then I do a gentles / delicates wash timed to make sure I am there when it finishes with a gentle spin and hang forever thereafter.
It's all survived many years of abuse from me like this - silks / linens / wool / cashmere / alpaca

SarcyMare Mon 21-Jul-14 12:41:05

i tend to downgrade by 1 step if it isn't a very special item
so dry clean -> handwash
handwash -> wool cycle/delicates in machine

but always use the correct washing powder/liquid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now