Do you buy your partner's clothes?

(104 Posts)
Cuteypatootey Fri 18-Jul-14 01:20:15

Would love to buy a few things for my partner but not sure how he'll respond. Does anyone buy their partner's clothes and have any pearls of wisdom about how to go about it? It's not that he has bad taste, it's good but he just doesn't get round to it.

WaffleWiffle Fri 18-Jul-14 01:35:24

I buy most of my husbands clothes. Usually in response to "I need some new shirts" kind of thing. No pearls off wisdom really, it's always been like that for us.

Walnut8 Fri 18-Jul-14 03:31:57

Yes. I say, do you need any new <insert>? He inevitably says yes, as he never shops. I choose a handful of things I like (online usually) and he chooses which of those he likes best. Occasionally we do a big shopping trip. I know which brands he likes the most & which suit him so it's pretty easy these days to narrow down.

frignorant Fri 18-Jul-14 03:48:28

Dh is a creature of habit and I know what he likes so usually buy the basics like t-shirts, work shirts etc. He's a bit lazy when it comes to clothes and would quite happily wear the same old thing over and over again.

50ShadesOfSummer Fri 18-Jul-14 06:33:13

I do occasionally, but as he's quite fussy about his clothes I'm always careful to keep the receipt. Don't be offended if you have to take it back.

He also buys stuff for me and is pretty good at getting it right.

MrsDavidBowie Fri 18-Jul-14 06:36:07

No. Find men's clothes shopping really dull.
I do give my opinion on what he buys.

whereisshe Fri 18-Jul-14 06:40:35

I do, mainly because DH never shops but will complain about not having appropriate things to wear eg when we go out. I buy it all online (and send most of it back because he's fussy). I'm basically his personal shopper!

lettertoherms Fri 18-Jul-14 06:45:30

Yes, a lot of the time. I'll buy him basics when his things get a bit worn or I pick out something for him if we have a special occasion to go to.

Delphiniumsblue Fri 18-Jul-14 06:55:24

I am surprised at the responses! I have never bought anything - our tastes are very different for a start.

dexter73 Fri 18-Jul-14 07:05:24

No my dh buys his own clothes. He doesn't really like me choosing his clothes for him.

Contraryish Fri 18-Jul-14 07:07:00

I remember the first time I ever went to visit my now husband, then new boyfriend, over twenty years ago. We went shopping, he found a top he liked and then rang his mum (which in those days involved finding a phone box) to see if it was a suitable purchase!

It would appear I have now taken over his mother's role, which is no bad thing, as her taste is appalling!

peasandlove Fri 18-Jul-14 07:10:26

I have bought him everything.
He has no idea what he likes
I wish he did but the indecision drives me mad

Missunreasonable Fri 18-Jul-14 07:13:55

My husband buys his own clothes. He is a grown man and can manage a bit of clothes shopping. Even if time is an issue he can order things online.
I will buy him things as birthday or Christmas gifts but other than that he can do it for himself. I am not his personal shopper.

defineme Fri 18-Jul-14 07:14:00

Yes as dh rarely goes shopping. I pick stuff up in sales etc. I know his taste and have never got it wrong-he is easily pleased.

chanie44 Fri 18-Jul-14 07:15:05

Yep, he never goes clothes shopping. I started by picking things that were similar style to what he already had in his wardrobe. If I'm out and about and see something I think he would like, I buy it and if he doesn't like it, I take it back, no fuss.

AuditAngel Fri 18-Jul-14 07:17:46

DH will buy things if he really needs them. His taste is generally OK, I tend to buy him shirts if I see ones he'd like. I make him get his own trousers as he wears them under his belly, then moans the crutch is between his knees!

defineme Fri 18-Jul-14 07:17:51

Dh is a grown man, but I have 100% more free time than he does so fail to see why we should waste the free time we have together on him going off clothes shopping. He is happy with what I get him and I am in the shop anyway so might ax well-never go specifically for him unless it's a present.

Bunbaker Fri 18-Jul-14 07:25:46

No. He has long arms and long legs and has to try everything on. He hates shopping and will only go when his clothes are so frayed that he looks like a tramp. He has no interest in his appearance clothes wise.

Online shopping is a waste of time because everything has to go back. Iwill buy him socks and underwear when asked.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 18-Jul-14 07:33:33

No. He is not a child and I am not his mother.

50ShadesOfSummer Fri 18-Jul-14 07:39:01

Same here, OnIlkley, my DH is not a child and I am not his mother. He loves buying clothes.

But I also buy him things - like any other gift.

gamerchick Fri 18-Jul-14 07:42:05

Yes because he'll wear stuff until I sneak it into the bin. He doesn't care about clothes much.

MarshaBrady Fri 18-Jul-14 07:43:29

No, he buys his own. He gets the right stuff and I have zero interest in buying them.

He doesn't go shopping, just does it online.

He hates clothes, virtually never buys them, and wears them until they are falling to pieces. I buy him a jumper and a few t-shirts every Christmas, and drag him out once a year or so for new jeans. I've pretty much given up on him tbh - just keep him in navy blue jumpers and grey t-shirts, which is about all he ever wears!

Preciousbane Fri 18-Jul-14 07:46:20

DH has no interest in clothes, owns four decent suits. Likes to try on his own jeans when buying for fit but that's all. So I do sometimes buy him stuff.

He still wears t.shirts he wore at uni. He was an undergrad back in 1986.
I have had far more free time than him for about 8 years as well.

Bunbaker Fri 18-Jul-14 07:47:08

"No. He is not a child and I am not his mother."

^^ This as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now