Diamond stud earrings make my ears sore

(18 Posts)
Jemster Fri 11-Jul-14 13:02:59

My dh bought me some lovely diamond studs and a necklace after ds was born. I wore the earrings non stop for about 3 years with no problems.
Now I can't wear them at all as my ears burn and go red and sore. They are white gold posts.

I feel awful not being able to wear them anymore as they cost quite a lot of money (for us anyway) and they have sentimental value.

Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do?

SunnyUpNorth Fri 11-Jul-14 13:44:48

This has happened to me too, it's so annoying. I've never been able to wear cheapie earrings but since having my second DC I can't wear any at all now including some white gold diamond studs I have. I think something in pregnancy must have altered my skin.

I really miss wearing earrings so I shall watch with interest!

You used to be able to get some stuff to 'paint' onto jewellery to get round this problem. Don't remember what it was called. Similar to a clear nail varnish. Presumably intended for metal jewelllery. Don't know if it would provide sufficient barrier for you.

Hollycopter Fri 11-Jul-14 14:17:20

If it hasn't bothered you before now, perhaps they need replating?

I have to get my rings replated every year and wish I hadn't bothered with white gold!

LAB123 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:28:10

Unfortunately white gold does lose it's brightness and has to be rhodium plated every couple of years. It will go from white to yellowish when this is needed. It's not expensive to have the rhodium plating done and I have a diamond ring that's been done several times. Not sure if it will help your ears to cope with the metal again but worth a try before you abandon them.

Jemster Fri 11-Jul-14 14:45:31

Oops sorry I forgot to say I have had them recoated but it hasn't helped. It seems such a waste. Interesting what you say about changes in pregnancy Sunny.

Saurus72 Fri 11-Jul-14 15:05:05

I've experienced this with a lovely pair if silver earrings. I wore them every day for months and months, then I got the burning red painful ears you refer to. Very very annoying!

I have had earrings coated before but it hasn't solved the problem for me.

Infinity8 Fri 11-Jul-14 15:50:28

Maybe you could get the pists changed to yellow gold or silver if those metals are more comfortable for you

Infinity8 Fri 11-Jul-14 15:50:45

posts not pistsgrin

I'd see if you can get the posts platinum plated, as its hypoallergenic https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061027231739AA0yicq

tugamommy Fri 11-Jul-14 16:04:37

I can't wear my rings anymore, not even straight after replating, I think nickel allergy is one of those that just gets progressively worse and you're better off just avoiding it altogether, at least for some months.

On a more positive note, it used to be so bad on my wrists that I could only wear plastic watches and now it's fine...

GretchenWiener Fri 11-Jul-14 16:10:56

go to argos and get cheap ones

No one knows if they are real or not.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 11-Jul-14 17:38:48

Paint the posts with clear nail varnish-I do this on all non gold or silver earrings

LaydeeC Fri 11-Jul-14 18:42:13

Just to say, about platinum...

I wanted to buy platinum diamond studs and was persuaded by the salesman to buy white gold ones instead as no-one would really notice the difference.

They murdered me. My ears were terribly itchy and sore. Went back to the retailer and they agreed to change them but wanted to sell the old earrings back at a greatly reduced price and then purchase the new ones in platinum. We stood our ground in that we had actually wanted to buy platinum in the first instance and eventually they reset my diamonds into platinum mounts for the difference in price that we would have originally paid.

Platinum ones no better!! Have had them for almost ten years and they still make my ears itchy and sore after wearing them a day or so. I am so not convinced that platinum is not allergenic.

Cheap earrings I can wear no problem oddly...

Jemster Fri 11-Jul-14 19:10:44

LaydeeC thanks for that it's helpful as I have thought about having them reset on platinum posts but can't justify the cost if there's a risk it won't make a difference. When you say yiu buy cheap ones now, whatvare they made from and what sort of price? I do miss wearing my lovely earrings.

captainpig Sat 12-Jul-14 23:14:06

I can't wear gold or silver earrings anymore, same reaction itchy, red, sore ears, but I can wear titanium post earrings.

Catsmamma Sat 12-Jul-14 23:22:19

are you just doing them up too tight to make them secure??

I rarely wear studs fixings at all, they aggravate my ears. I did wear a couple of cheapie pairs this week with the hooky wires and suffered with an ickysticky ear as I do have a nickel allergy but can usually get away with it for a day. Also these were wafty sorts so I think the movement and weight makes the reaction worse

My main pair are amber drops on a long silver wire and they never bother me, and they just hang there, no wriggling

WildBillfemale Sun 13-Jul-14 07:19:41

Try a thin layer of vaseline on front and back of ear lobe and rub a little on the post of the earring.
You may get just enough of a barrier to be able to wear the earrings for a period of time.
You will need to clean them more often though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now