Fat woman in bikini

(145 Posts)
Changebagsandgladrags Sun 06-Jul-14 20:25:06

I think Im going to get one.

Years ago, I went on holiday by myself to Corfu. I was slim but didn't think it. Anyway, the beach was full of German women, big women. All in bikinis.

Did they care that they had belly fat? Did they care their boobs were skimming their knees? Did they fuck?

Did they have fun? Oh yes.

Did I have fun in my sports cut one piece? Nope.

So I plan to be a German woman this summer. Yes I'm fat (size 16) but I plan to wear a two piece.

Anyone have any ideas? I've seen a big knicker one in Next.

murphys Mon 07-Jul-14 13:40:13

I really do think that generally British women do have a self-esteem issue when it comes to their bodies.

Bearleigh Mon 07-Jul-14 13:43:48

O.P. Size 16 isn't fat. Me thinks you're on here fishing for compliaments. Grow up please. Small wonder young girls turn anorexic when we have alledged adults with healthy womenly figures refering to themselves as fat. X

Come off it - there has been so much vanity sizing recently that size 16 is no longer a healthy womanly figure. It may not be obese but please don't kid yourself. I am sure to be flamed - there is far too much tiptoeing around the fact that people are getting fatter and fatter. And anorexia isn't caused by saying someone who's size 16 is fat - it's far more complex, and should not be used as an excuse.

I'm a size 18-20 and have been wearing a 1950's high waisted bikini (from asos curve) this summer in the privacy of my garden and might just put it on when we next spend a day at the beach.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 07-Jul-14 14:05:17

Bearleigh, agreed. I'm almost 6 foot tall, and I'd still most definitely be overweight at size 14, let alone 16!

micah Mon 07-Jul-14 14:16:42

For those asking why I don't find bikinis practical;

Jumping/diving in a swimming pool- less chance of boobs popping out/bottoms falling down

Same for going on slides. Swimming generally- if you're doing a couple of lengths front crawl your boobs will work their way out smile

Jumping up and down and chasing after children in general- again I struggle to find a properly supportive, comfortable bikini top.

I find underwiring very uncomfortable- don't even have underwired bra's.

I am very pale and burn easily, even with sunblock. The more I cover up the less suncream I have to bother about. Sunburned cleavage is not a good look!

I am/was a swimmer. I have worn bikini's in the past, just don't find them as comfortable as a costume (speedo/adidas athletic type).

I already have a few nice costumes I like and feel comfy in. I'm too tight to spend money on a bikini I'd wear on holiday once every couple of years...

Also, I think I look better in a one-piece smile.

MabelBee Mon 07-Jul-14 14:16:45

It's not about size. I saw one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen on holiday in Cape Verde. She was in a string bikini and must have been at least a size 20, possibly bigger. Proper voluptuous and very glam... I did a double take. She was a real Marilyn Monroe. I often think about her and wonder what it is that she posessed that I don't, but it must just be confidence and style.

Stressing Mon 07-Jul-14 14:26:49

It's far worse, apparently, to have hairy armpits - or any body hair. One facebook friend posted a pic of a poor woman minding her own business on the beach saying 'there are some things you should not have to see on the beach'. I defriended that person immediately but he had hundreds of supporters men and women saying how disgusting she was. It's terrible - over a bit of hair. Some thought he was getting at her size as she was a bit older and about a size 16 - they were all telling him off when they thought he was attacking her for being fat, but as soon as he said 'look at the hamsters' everyone were like 'oh yeah, how disgusting'. Suddenly they were all agreeing with him. So you'll be fine so long as you shave, by the seems of it.

ugh, size,shape, body hair whatever, wear what you like. It shouldn't be of any concern to anyone else what someone else is wearing. It has no impact on anyone else so I don't understand what makes others think they have any right to judge or make fun of someone because of what they choose to wear. There's fair more important things to worry about in life than if someone who happens to be a bit wobbly has decided to wear a bikini!

micah Mon 07-Jul-14 14:37:19

Stressing- I saw a group of 10-12 yo's at a park following a wee 4/5 yo around saying she was "nasty" for being hairy. Kid was asian heritage and had that fine dark hair on her arms and back.

They were discussing how their mums take them to wax or they shave….

Stressing Mon 07-Jul-14 14:51:38

micah - that is dreadful. People seem more sensitive to people's feelings when they are overweight than they have been in the past. It is deemed as unacceptable to talk about weight. But body hair has gone to the extreme. This is one attitude I'd love to see rebuked as it's bordering obsessive. I don't see why hair-free skin is deemed so attractive or necessary. I think body-hairless people are a bit creepy.

BecauseIsaidS0 Mon 07-Jul-14 15:12:28

This.

dexter73 Mon 07-Jul-14 15:14:01

Ha ha great article mimiasovitch!!

Bunbaker Mon 07-Jul-14 15:47:49

Micah all your reasons for finding bikinis impractical don't apply to me. my boobs never pop out, I don't jump or dive into swimming pools, I don't go to waterparks where there are slides and I don't have small children to run after. I do wear a one piece when I do aqua aerobics though because I do a lot of jumping around.

Rainydayblues Mon 07-Jul-14 15:55:33

I'd be buying a woolly bikini if I was going to Clare - it's bloody freezing there, buy a bikini wear it - people will be tempted to throw blanket over your blue flesh but at least you'll feel like you've been liberated from the wretched swimsuit.

middlethird Mon 07-Jul-14 16:05:30

I saw something on FB the other week... the end was:

How To Get That Bikini Body: put a bikini on your body.

I loved it a lot. I'm partial to a tankini personally, same same but different. Allows for whipping the top bit up and down my incredibly baby scared middle!

Have fun OP! OOOOH nice one because that was exactly the very thing!!!

alemci Mon 07-Jul-14 16:11:23

i am going to be wearing a bikini some of the time. I have aimed to buy them with high pants or shorts and I have tankini tops. I may wear a sarong etc and use my judgement.

I am reasonably slim but I've got baby tummy and middle age spread these days.

i have found a slimming belt thing (a relative gave me as they didn't use it) so I may try that out.

Yes people shouldn't be horrible about personal appearance . Live and let live for goodness sake

JuneFromBethesda Mon 07-Jul-14 17:27:52

Really timely thread for me. I'm going on a fabulous far-flung beach holiday at the end of the month, I've been looking forward to it for months and I promised myself that I would wear a bikini. Of course I also promised myself I would lose a stone before I went - which I haven't done, ho ho.

I'm 5'8", size 14, big boobs, very good legs and a flabby middle. My sister, who is also going, is a similar size to me, possibly a bit bigger and more of a pear shape to my apple. So bigger hips but a smaller waist. She is going to be wearing bikinis and has encouraged me to do the same.

I did lots of research online and found various bikinis I liked the look of. And then I looked in the mirror and thought, who am I kidding? I just don't feel comfortable with my belly hanging out. I wish I did. It's not about what other people think, I honestly don't think I'd feel comfortable in a bikini even if I was the only person on the beach.

I did buy a fab, very flattering (and midriff-slimming) one-piece from M&S which I am looking forward to wearing. But I really would love to be able to fling my inhibitions to the wind and embrace bikini-wearing. I'm still debating the issue in my head!

dexter73 Mon 07-Jul-14 17:35:49

JuneFromBethesda - order a bikini and take it with you but keep the labels on, so if you decide once you get there to wear it you can and if you don't you can return it when you get home. I bet you will wear it once you see all the other bellies and wobbly bits on display!

kaykayblue Mon 07-Jul-14 17:58:16

JunefromBethesda - I think it's all well and good to not give a fuck and whack on a bikini, but I think the attitude has to be genuine, otherwise I guarantee that you will spend the whole time feeling hyper self conscious and paranoid that everyone is staring at whatever bit of you that you hate the most!

I just wanted to point out that going to gung ho attitude isn't worth it if you are going to spend the whole time feeling stressed out about it!

This is personally why I love snorkelling so mcuh!!. It's accepted - nay - encouraged to wear a t shirt and shorts over your bikini so you don't burn as much in the water.

It's basically my idea of heaven.

LynetteScavo Mon 07-Jul-14 18:10:09

Feel free to go all German with the bikini, but please remember you are British and we shave our arm pits. -- apart from my DSis--
Thank you.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 07-Jul-14 18:19:07

Feel free to go all German with the bikini, OP - you sound absolutely brilliant. Also feel free to keep or remove as much or as little body hair as you bloody well feel like.

gymboywalton Mon 07-Jul-14 18:24:25

I am nearly six foot and a size 20/22 and I wear a bikini on holiday abroad. So much more comfortable and I don't give a fuck quite frankly. My stomach is mess of wobble, stretch marks and surgery scars but so what?

I wear big pantsa nd an underwired top.

Bearleigh Mon 07-Jul-14 18:24:52

What is it about bikinis? I wore one in my early twenties, which slipped and exposed a boob -all I'd done was dive in (badly), so I haven't worn one since. I find them faintly creepy in a way - exposing all flesh except the naughty bits.

Men aren't concerned about exposing their stomachs on a beach so I don't see why women should be either, but I find full swim suits more flattering on almost all women, me included.

dannychampionoftheworld Mon 07-Jul-14 18:31:24

As others have said, wear whatever catches your fancy. But, honestly, is it safe to wear a bikini in Clare? Will you not freeze?

Whenever I see the media taking the piss out of a woman for something she's wearing, I always think of that Miranda Hart sketch:

Miranda: Hello - do you like that outfit you're wearing?
Woman: Yes.
Miranda: Are you comfortable in it?
Woman: Yes.
Miranda: Do you care that others may not like it?
Woman: Not really, no.
Miranda: Great, wear that then.

lifehasafunnywayofhelpinguout Mon 07-Jul-14 18:43:33

Bear. Iam size 24. I feel sexy healthy and attractive. I have a satisfying love life. Big women are entitled to be happy with their size not just skinny women x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now