How do I go about selling wedding rings

(7 Posts)

Thought I may as well raise some cash from the disaster that was life with exH grin.

I have a very naice Niessing diamond tension ring in platinum and matching wedding band.

How would you go about selling? eBay? A local auction house? I've no idea what the market is like for secondhand, non-antique rings...And what % of original value should I expect? Am wondering whether I should just sell for the diamond/metal as the stone was bought separately and I have the receipt for the insurance and it alone is several thousand. How would I do that? It seems a bit out of the cash4gold type league!

Anyone else sold their rings successfully?

Crutchlow35 Thu 26-Jun-14 13:26:47

Yes, I have before but I took them to a local independent jeweller who cleaned them up, valued them and then sold them in their shop window. They then take a cut.

For example, one ring was £2,000. The sorted it all out, put it in their window for £1200, sold it, took their small cut (15% from memory) and I got the rest.

Before my local place took it I was offered £250/£300 by most places in Hatton Garden in London.

You don't get anything close to purchase or valuation price I'm afraid so I would definitely recommend speaking to some local independent jewellers.

Perhaps also think about calling Bonhams and asking them how much they would expect them to fetch at auction and what auction costs would be deducted etc.

OK, ta.

MrsFlorrick Thu 26-Jun-14 14:41:05

Oooh. I love Neissing tension rings. grin Beautiful. If I needed rings I would buy them. Sadly I think its bad form to have two engagement and wedding rings at the same time wink

Sorry no help what so ever.

bishop - if you won't recover anywhere near the same price for the ring, why not have the diamond reset as a pendant?

As an aside, after separating from his wife, a friend threw his wedding ring into the toilet. It didn't flush for ages and looking at it gave him the rage. So, don't go down that route.

mrsflorrick nice name smile

belinda yep, am in contact now with our local Bonhams and jewellers. I know what the diamond cost alone so I think if I'm not going to get more than that for the ring, will go down that route. By which I mean the resetting, not the Bog Rage wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now