Maxi dresses for short people?

(35 Posts)
marne2 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:36:56

I would love to buy a maxi dress but previous years I have bought them and they are too long and trip me up. I'm 5ft 2 so not really short but I need a shorter maxi dress. Where should I be looking?

P.s. I don't want to spend a fortune.

WildThong Thu 26-Jun-14 20:51:56

George at Asda have some lovely maxi dresses starting at £10. A lot of them come in short and standard length. I bought a lovely black crochet maxi from my local store for £14.

ygritte Thu 26-Jun-14 20:55:58

Gap petite are good.

Primadonnagirl Thu 26-Jun-14 20:56:19

I'm a shortie myself so no disrespect but I think maxi dresses on smaller people make them look like Daleks...all that hovering along and the material hiding what's going on beneath

MonterayJack Sat 28-Jun-14 20:45:20

My Amazon Jersey dress as recommended by Naicecuppatea came today. Am really happy with it. Perfect length (I'm 5'0") and the M/L fits my 32 gg boobs fine. I feel a bit too old for the racer back so will prob stick a shrug type cardy over it. It's pretty flattering though and I don't think I look like a dalek in it. Had to hoik the top up a teeny bit so it isn't touching the floor. I got the navy and really like it. Soooo thanks for the recommendation there.

CambridgeBlue Sat 28-Jun-14 22:15:25

Mine came too but I've had to return it - the grey which looked like charcoal in the picture was actually much paler and not very flattering. I wasn't keen on the shape or the racer back either although the length was spot on.

MonterayJack Sat 28-Jun-14 22:41:19

That's a shame Cambridge

Naicecuppatea Sun 29-Jun-14 08:39:39

Yay. Glad you like it too Cambridge. Mine weirdly isn't a racer back just a vest top back if you see what I mean. I have ordered another so will see if that is a racer back.

Naicecuppatea Sun 29-Jun-14 08:41:01

Sorry that was meant to be to Monteray. Sorry Cambridge!

MonterayJack Sun 29-Jun-14 09:22:09

I think I'll contact the seller and ask if he has any more with a vest top back then *Naice, and if so, to swap mine. I've ordered 2 shrug type cardijgans to wear with the one I've just got but it would be good to be able to wear it on its own. At 53 though, even though I'm quite young looking, a racer back vest is a step too far in the mutton dressed as lamb department.

MonterayJack Mon 30-Jun-14 14:35:00

Got a reply from the seller re round back version instead of racer-back of Naice's Amazon dress, and they said if I let them know what colour I want they should be able to sort it out. So if anyone was put off these because of the racer back style, it's worth emailing the seller, City Chic, to see if they can do the colour/s you want in a round back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now