Maxi dresses for short people?

(35 Posts)
marne2 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:36:56

I would love to buy a maxi dress but previous years I have bought them and they are too long and trip me up. I'm 5ft 2 so not really short but I need a shorter maxi dress. Where should I be looking?

P.s. I don't want to spend a fortune.

McPhee Tue 24-Jun-14 21:40:04

Ditto

bishboschone Wed 25-Jun-14 08:13:15

Next, dorothyperkins do petite. Stick to straight styles to elongate.

Damnautocorrect Wed 25-Jun-14 08:21:09

I'm 5ft 1 hobbs, next (petite) and some asda do. But you need to try them on (with whatever shoes you'll be wearing!)

AliceInSandwichLand Wed 25-Jun-14 08:21:54

Can you not just shorten it yourself? If sewing is not your thing then maybe you know someone who can do it for a bunch of flowers or something? I often find small alterations make all the difference when buying clothes designed for slightly bigger/taller people - shortening shoulder straps, taking things in at the waist - and shortening the hem of something is one of the easier alterations, as long as you choose a design that won't be ruined, of course.

blueshoes Wed 25-Jun-14 08:53:32

I am a shortie who just bought a �28 Maxi dress from Oasis. My drycleaners have an alteration service. For about �10, they took a chunk off the length. My dress is now the perfect length for me and looks swishy and cool in the heat with a sun hat. I reckon it is �10 well spent. I got to choose the Maxi style that best suited me (knowing I could alter the length) rather than let the style be dictated by the length.

Naicecuppatea Wed 25-Jun-14 09:54:45

I am 5ft 3 and have just tried on a maxi dress I ordered from Amazon. It's actually quite nice! Flattering fit and perfect length and sooo comfy. And only �8-9! jersey maxi dress

Naicecuppatea Wed 25-Jun-14 09:56:05

Plus if it does turn out a bit long you can hitch up the waist a bit!

magso Wed 25-Jun-14 11:39:57

I've tried to do a link but it won't work, but I have just received the Boden petite Maya Maxi in blue feather and it is lovely. Actually if anything it is a bit short (on the ankle) but them I usually wear flats. Its very expensive for a jersey maxi even with 40% off (its only 30% today). I'm just under 5'2". First time I have splashed out on a Boden maxi, but it could be dressed up or down.
I got a Gap maxi last year similar to the one naicecuppatea linked to - , so might be another place to look. Also I tried on a strappy maxi in Uniqlo - with its own bra support and that was just Ok for length- I think Uniqlo tend to be scaled for shorter to average folk.

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Wed 25-Jun-14 12:06:45

Naicecuppatea - I had the exact same dress arrive from Amazon today! I am 5'6" and I had to lop a bit of the end. I am amazed at how nice (and cheap) the dress is and have decided to get more.

alittlebitmeh Wed 25-Jun-14 12:08:01

I have a black topshop short length one. Jersey in really hard to shorten unless the person doing the alterations has an overlock on their machine.

Naicecuppatea Wed 25-Jun-14 12:09:26

How funny Irish! Glad you like it too, I think mine must be shorter than yours though as I have no need to take any length off?! Which colour did you get? Mine is a sable colour and I am tempted to order a few more now!

marne2 Wed 25-Jun-14 13:31:51

Thank you ladies, will have a look at all of those, I bought 2 dresses today, a shorter dress and a midi dress from Mistral ( from the sale rail ) the midi dress is almost a maxi on me grin, would still love to find a maxi though! debenhams sale starts tomorrow and the Next sale will be soon, am tempted by Boden but have just spend a fortune on boden kids clothes.

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Wed 25-Jun-14 15:22:10

Mine is black Naice and I have just ordered white and grey. The sable one looks good, will look nice with a tan (wishful thinking wink)

CambridgeBlue Wed 25-Jun-14 16:30:24

I really like that Amazon one and as I am 5'2 as well it should fit - fingers crossed.

OP I have got nice ones from Next in the past although all those they've got at the moment are a bit more revealing than I prefer - a shortarse who needs to wear a bra is clearly not their target customer!

Naicecuppatea Wed 25-Jun-14 16:38:53

Get it Cambridge, I am sure it will be fine on you! So pleased with mine I've ordered a couple more.

CambridgeBlue Wed 25-Jun-14 18:00:53

Ordered smile I went for the grey but if it looks nice I might go for a couple more.

MonterayJack Wed 25-Jun-14 20:27:23

I really like the look of the one you've got Naice. A lot of the reviews say it's tight across the chest. I'm 32gg so am wondering if there's going to be a problem with this. Any idea?

marne2 Wed 25-Jun-14 20:27:54

I find the same with next, I need to a ear a bra with a dress so need something a little less revealing. I love Mantaray from Debenhams but they are always a bit pricey even in the sales.

Naicecuppatea Wed 25-Jun-14 21:10:33

Monteray it is very stretchy material. I am 32c and have a fair amount of room left in the top.

MrsEboJones76 Wed 25-Jun-14 21:53:38

I've just bought a stripe dress from the Johnnie B range at Boden. The cut is slim which is better on my very petite 5ft frame. Also much cheaper!

MonterayJack Wed 25-Jun-14 22:45:08

Thanks Naice. I'm going to order one.

NumptyNu Thu 26-Jun-14 10:48:57

I'm 5ft 1 and find I just look like a ball when I wear anything Maxi?

MonterayJack Thu 26-Jun-14 15:06:56

Well, I've had an email from Amazon to say mine's been shipped, so will report back. As I'm a busty, hour-glass 5'0 I've not got my hopes raised too high, but you never know.

ThisBitchIsResting Thu 26-Jun-14 15:12:33

Asos have this which looks good, petite and in sale for £15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now