Update to my "Fuck it I'm going retro skin care thread"

(56 Posts)
HoneyDragon Tue 24-Jun-14 17:39:02

So after sourcing the much mourned ponds vanishing cream, and the Himalayas cream cleanser of my youth after the whole, I'd forgotton how good Nivea is revelation.

My skin is brilliant. Really clean, I swear there were pores coming unclogged that had been for years. And really soft, and the vanishing creams gives such a lovely soft matt affect I only wear make up if I want to, not because I have to to combat shine.

As result of the thread I've also gone back to using Vitapointe and Schwartzkopf Gliss on my (bleach damaged) hair as I used it religiously years ago. Hair is much less frizzy and I get loads of compliments on how nice I smell.

I'm really happy, my skins better and my outlays a lot less.

I've still not been brave enough to revist ten o six though grin grin

ScrambledSmegs Wed 25-Jun-14 09:35:06

Nivea, you say? Hmm. I'm using the Boots own cold cream for cleansing at the mo, smells lovely but I find it a bit heavy so have to use a cheap toner after.

But, how do you get over the smell of Nivea? It makes me heave envy. Would Astral work?

HoneyDragon Wed 25-Jun-14 10:17:13

Boots still sell vitapointe

HoneyDragon Wed 25-Jun-14 10:17:43

If you want something lighter what about steam cream?

HoneyDragon Wed 25-Jun-14 10:18:01

Which smells of lavender

valrhona Wed 25-Jun-14 10:26:04

Link to first thread anyone please?? All sounds v interesting!! smile

squoosh Wed 25-Jun-14 11:37:24

I hate Nivea and E45.

Onetwothreeoops Wed 25-Jun-14 11:44:48

How do you use coconut oil as a cleanser? And is it the cold pressed stuff that you use?

Sorry for ignoring your advice HoneyDragon but Nivea is probably a bit harsh for my delicate flower skin.

BauerTime Wed 25-Jun-14 11:46:52

HoneyDragon you are clearly the skincare guru so i have a question.

I have v shiny forehead and nose. What should i be doing in the mornings for a matte face? I currently either face wipe (cucumber boots ones) and then a simple moisturiser with a cucumber boots eye gel round the eyes and I'm terribly shiny. I CBA with makeup on a normal day either. can i be shine free?

BauerTime Wed 25-Jun-14 11:47:48

Or i use dove soap bar and moisturiser that was meant to say but i forgot to add it (baby brain)

beccajoh Wed 25-Jun-14 11:48:22

Honey dragon do you mean Dream Cream from Lush?

HoneyDragon Wed 25-Jun-14 14:13:48

I'm so not a skin care guru grin I'm just very lazy blush

No, Steam Cream. It comes in a pretty tin and like cold cream is multi use. But it's much lighter.

Here it's sold for less other places.

I had skin like that Bauer, that's why I started looking for Ponds Vanishing cream again. It leaves your skin totally matt all day, I love it. You can get it on eBay smile

MyrtleDove Wed 25-Jun-14 17:43:55

shock Pore strips are horrendous for your skin! Please don't do them. Most of what you remove are sebaceous filaments, which are supposed to be there.

Where do you find your Ponds vanishing cream? I am hesitant to buy it as Ponds sell skin bleaching creams in India - anyone know of a non-Ponds alternative?

MyrtleDove Wed 25-Jun-14 17:45:03

Oh and steam cream is made by the Lush team, so it kind of is from there! The tins are so pretty. Great for travelling as you can use it for cleansing as well as moisturising.

squoosh Wed 25-Jun-14 17:47:59

L'Oréal, Olay, Vaseline and Neutrogena also sell skin 'lightening' creams to the Asian market too.

ScrambledSmegs Wed 25-Jun-14 17:53:07

Yus to Myrtle re: pore strips. Nasty things. Very harsh.

If I really need to de-clog I've been using a homemade disperible aspirin and Greek yoghurt mask. Sounds revolting but my goodness, it makes your skin look and feel better.

I do like Steam Cream but funnily enough find it too light for moisturising, might have a bash at cleansing with it though. I'm definitely going to get the Ponds if I can find it. Do you have a linky?

Shall have a bash at cleansing using Astral tonight and see if it's any less greasy than the Boots stuff.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 25-Jun-14 18:00:35

Ah, I've been looking for the original thread, but couldn't find it! I've really dry skin, as in it gets painful if I don't use the right moisturiser, so would blue nivea as cleanser followed by the white nivea be a good idea? I love the blue nivea but it seems to sit on my skin rather than soak in. E45 is the same. Was it Astral you also recommended?

HoneyDragon Wed 25-Jun-14 18:22:38

It's here on Amazon they do very oily and normal to oily.

Can't find it on ebay at the mo, I'll need to find the seller. But it's Ponds lasting oil control. Brilliant stuff.

And yes most big brands sell lighteners in other countries.

I don't use Astral but loads of Mnetters love it.

ihatethecold Wed 25-Jun-14 18:45:45

onetwothreeoops
I use the solid coconut oil,
It melts very quickly in your hands, massage it onto your face then rinse of with a hot muslin cloth.

ScrambledSmegs Wed 25-Jun-14 19:23:51

Can't find ponds normal to oily anywhere. Lush do a vanishing cream though, any good?

Unfortunately the smell of Lush shops makes me gag, that may be a very interesting shopping experience.

Curse my superior olfactory functions, they're a blight on my life sad

KatieKaye Wed 25-Jun-14 22:58:23

I started to use blue Nivea on the basis of the other thread. I love it!

HoneyDragon Wed 25-Jun-14 23:39:32

They've got ponds back in stock here I usually get it from a sa importer on ebay.

Onetwothreeoops Thu 26-Jun-14 09:30:12

Thanks ihatethecold. A couple more questions. Do you cleanse daily and do use need to use a moisturiser afterwards?

ihatethecold Thu 26-Jun-14 17:03:01

Yes every day to remove make up.
Sometimes I put more oil on if in the evening.
In the morning I put moisturiser on.

MyrtleDove Thu 26-Jun-14 17:35:16

I realise other companies sell skin bleaching products in other countries, I don't buy from them either if I can help it. I do distinguish between skin bleaching products and products containing 'whitening' pigments - the latter is for brightening not actually changing skin colour.

I currently use a marine collagen moisturiser by a South Korean brand which is incredibly un-retro grin

wellnowthenmardybum Fri 27-Jun-14 18:42:15

Right, so if you use blue nivea as a cleanser, when do you use the himalayas cream cleanser? Do you moisturise after using the blue nivea as a cleanser, and how often do you use it?. Also when do you use the cold cream? Please help a confused girl with very clogged pores...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now