Eye makeup with glasses

(9 Posts)
ItHasANiceRingWhenYouLaugh Mon 23-Jun-14 18:44:15

I've got news glasses that are bigger frames than my old ones, and you can really see my eyes now. confused I'm short sighted so the lenses make my eyes look tiny. I usually wear liner on the top lid and mascara, but what else can I do? YouTube tutorials were, um, overly glamorous. hmm

Crutchlow35 Mon 23-Jun-14 21:00:52

Watching with interest

Laureline Mon 23-Jun-14 21:55:10

I have glasses but don't wear very complicated make-up combinations.

Through trial and error, and reading Sally Hughes' fantastic beauty column on the Guardian, I stick to always wearing at minimum:
- under-eye concealer (glasses make my dark circles a bit more obvious)
- creamy eyeshadow (because I hate particles dropping on my lenses). No over-complicated combinations of colours, as I find it's wasted when I'm wearing glasses anyway. I stick to monochromatic colours: gunmetal, taupe, dark green...
- mascara (thickening rather than lengthening as I already have long lashes, and I find that lengthening mascara makes them brush against the glasses, urgh)

I also try to have neat brows, as they will enhance your face and your glasses if done right. I have a little brush and some clear mascara, and also get them threaded from time to time.

Also: don't forget your lipstick! I've seen some women on the tube who really look great with strong lipstick and glasses.

Carpaccio Tue 24-Jun-14 01:05:57

I'm (very) short sighted and I wear glasses most of the time. I mainly use lighter eye shadow colours such as beige, neutrals, gold and bronze. I try to avoid darker colours as they make the eyes seem smaller.
I sometimes do a winged liner, but I try to make sure it's not too massive. I usually use brown liner for that. Or I use a push liner brush and a brown eye shadow to line my eyes. I rarely line under my eyes with a black or dark brown colour as it really makes my eyes look small. I do try to use mascara both on the upper and lower lashes as it seems to make the eyes look bigger.
I have quite long lashes so they always brush against my glasses, so I curl them - that helps loads and also makes my eyes look bigger and more awake.
Some people use a nude eye pencil in the waterline to make the eyes look bigger.

Deathraystare Tue 24-Jun-14 11:54:46

My glasses show up everything! I have to be careful using much mascara. I now realise I cannot wear anything too sparkly on he lid or it looks crepey (and I don't have crepey eye lids). I am not bothered (luckily) about putting on a perfect face (just as well) as I rather like the messy rock chick look. As I cannot ee very well without glasses and the make up glasses I tried were not much good I just have to put up and shut up. I either wear fairly neutral stuff on eyes and go mad with lips or wear a smoky eye with not much mascara. Much as I love a dark look on the eye, I am really loving bright lippies at the moment (Mac Impassioned and Chatterbox) and am quite lazy so just rim my eyes a bit.

Hate it when my lashes look good until I put my specs on and you ee not only spider lashes but all their babies hanging on too!!!!!

ItHasANiceRingWhenYouLaugh Tue 24-Jun-14 14:56:06

Thanks everyone. I am trying a few things but still look like I have tiny piggy eyes. grin

My main top tip is to put your glasses back on when you do your lippie. grin grin grin

sherazade Tue 24-Jun-14 20:10:26

The secret if actually to have perfectly defined eyebrows. I find that when I do wear my glasses , they take the attention away from the fact that my lenses have shrunk my eyes. If you can really perfect your eyebrows you can look v groomed with glasses on. Have neat, groomed eyebrows and use an eyebrow product. The best I've tried are mac eyebrows pencil ( v v easy to use and gives perfect neat brows but runs out quickly) and Ilamasqua eyebrow cake (powder and brush- trickier to use but lasts forever and once you've mastered it you're fine). concealer above and below the eyebrow, clinique mascara and a good eyeliner.

OneHandFlapping Tue 24-Jun-14 20:37:46

I'm quite long sighted, but I found a x12 magnifying mirror is great for putting on eye makeup without needing glasses after the shock of seeing your 12X magnified pores and wrinkles

LoadsaBlusher Tue 24-Jun-14 21:36:48

I wear large geek style glasses for extreme short sight ,I wear exactly the same eye make up as when I wear my contacts
Lots of liner ,smokey eyes, as said above ,well defined brows and Im partial to a slick of Ruby Woo on my lips
I like the contrast of the red lips and stark black glasses frame

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now