Style blogs for the over forties

(152 Posts)
Ladyfoxglove Sun 15-Jun-14 16:39:54

I'm the wrong side of forty and although not mad about fashion, I like to look my best and make an effort.

Now, I've seen plenty of blog references here and I love 'does my bum look 40 in this' but the thing is, I live on the Staffs/Cheshire border and the 'London look' is a bit too edgy for a lot of people here (plus, I'm too fat to pull it off) so can anyone recommend any suitable style blogs?

ive had a look at Pinterest but can't find anything. Everything seems to be very edgy and young, sigh. Am I beyond hope?

snice Sun 15-Jun-14 16:47:48

I am watching this with interest as I would like some inspiration too

No idea re blogs, sorry - I haven't found any that I like enough to want to look at every day tbh.

I can link you to my Pinterest boards, if any use?

SunnySideOfTheStreet Sun 15-Jun-14 17:07:23

Butting in to say yes please to a Pinterest link Remus. I also love to hear what you have to say smile

I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards most of the time though! Here

SplatPancake Sun 15-Jun-14 17:15:45

I love your Pinterest Remus - am completely nicking your city break capsule for anniversary trip to Paris xx

smile That's how I look in my dreams - in reality I'm more like this

I like your pins Remus. It's made me realise that I need to sort mine out.

Ladyfoxglove Sun 15-Jun-14 21:25:38

Wow. Thanks Remus. That's fantastic! I do look at Pinterest for style inspiration but I find that it's mostly edgy and any 'normal' boards are American or Australian with references to clothes and shops which are unavailable here so can be quite frustrating.

That's tonight's browsing sorted. Bugger the ironing!

grin

MauraFedora Sun 15-Jun-14 21:51:38
MauraFedora Sun 15-Jun-14 21:54:14
SunnySideOfTheStreet Sun 15-Jun-14 21:55:55

Barging back in again to ask a totally unrelated question! Sorry OP. Boyfriend jeans - yes/no and has anyone had any luck finding any. I'm a 12-14 with a fat tummy - please help me!

lurkingfromhome Mon 16-Jun-14 08:19:10

Boyfriend jeans - I cannot praise Dorothy Perkins enough. I have their skinny boyfriend jeans in size 12 (I'm usually a 14 so size down) and am practically living in them at the moment. Very flattering (the skinnyish cut means you don't have swathes of fabric billowing around) and good denim that will hold you in grin. Also they were only £28 but I got them for £20 on one of their frequent 25% off deals.

Ladyfoxglove Mon 16-Jun-14 11:04:45

Those blogs/sites look great Maura thanks.

Re boyfriend jeans, I love that look but also have a bit of a tummy (I'm an inverted triangle so have to be careful not to look like a carrot or a body builder) but I love Gap jeans. I'm a 14 top and a 12 bottom and 5' 6.5" so know where you're coming from Sunny

low-end, I like Next as they cut for apples/inverted v's, mid-range, I like DKNY as they cut for the mature figure and do lovely denim. High end, I like not your daughter's jeans, as they just fit so well (with the shaping panels and inner technology in the fabric) but they are difficult to find (where I am anyway) but all are available second-hand or discounted on Ebay to quite do-able.

off to read those blogs now!

CointreauVersial Mon 16-Jun-14 13:26:07

My Midlife Fashion is early 40s, I think. Nice clothes, but by god, she's a dreadful writer.

LilyRose88 Mon 16-Jun-14 14:00:43

I have just bought three dresses online after reading the Styleateveryage blog!

I like Next jeans, especially their lift and slim, or slim and shape, I forget what they call them. They also have some relaxed boyfriend jeans which I keep trying on but I am between two sizes and I either need to lose half a stone, or put another half stone on. They are flattering on an apple shape too.

SunnySideOfTheStreet Mon 16-Jun-14 17:57:50

Found a pair of boyfriend jeans that I quite like in Zara today. Not too baggy or maybe I'm just filling them very well. Definitely enjoyed the first blog, midlifechic - hope it doesn't end up costing me a fortune!

Not liking that, "Style at Every Age" blog, sorry.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Jun-14 18:06:20

Loving the Midlife Chic blog! That's the first one I've come across where I can identify with what she's wearing - it's like looking in a mirror (only her hair is shorter than mine, I'm having a midlife last-attempt-to-grow-my hair crisis atm). Perfect. Maybe not 'edgy' - but completely doable/wearable. Thanks for that link Maura smile

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 16-Jun-14 18:09:01

http://www.schoolgatestyle.com

Friend of a friend. I thought it was a bit naff at first but now I really like it.

WipsGlitter Mon 16-Jun-14 18:30:14

It's interesting there was a thread her a while ago about blogs and I noticed bum lady changed hers to reflect some of the comments!!

CointreauVersial Mon 16-Jun-14 21:56:01

Just thought of another one - My Fashionable 40s

heidipi Mon 16-Jun-14 22:32:09

Another new Pinterest follower for Remus here...

Was going to say My Fashionable Forties too. I look at blogs where the lifestyle and budget is waaaaay out of my league but still get some ideas (and a nosey in other people's lives). Does My Bum Look 40 is a good example of that but I bought some shorts I probably wouldn't have (and have worn in public and actually love) after she did a blog on them, and her recent piece on buying jeans was great and so down to earth.

All Worn Out (sorry don't know how to link on phone) is good as there's a mix of women and styles.

Following them is a massive time-sucker but has made me a bit more adventurous than I prob would be otherwise, and I'm shortly to be wrong side of 44 (waaah!) so no time to waste.wink

flapmyfunnels Mon 16-Jun-14 23:16:14

On a slightly different note, I'm an inverted triangle like you, OP - has anyone seen any blogs for this body shape please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now