Looking for THE perfect summer dress... Apple/hourglass shape.

(20 Posts)
Thenomoresleepsolution Thu 12-Jun-14 19:52:40

I'm looking for (at least) one great, everyday, dress for this summer. I've looked around online and not found much to meet my rather demanding specifications, so I was wondering if the MN experts could help?

I've not yet shifted the baby weight (ahem) nearly two years on. Still too tired to do anything drastic, so I'm going to have to accept myself more or less as I am this summer...

I love wearing dresses, and am looking for something (deep breath):

- lightweight
-knee length or (preferably) just above knee
- something quirky/retro/interesting in some way - trying to veer away from frumpy/dumpy/dowdy
- not too pricey
- ideally not strappy or backless
- can be dressed up or down

I am a size 14, very big bust, smallish high waist, fairly big tummy/hips, slim legs. I'm 30.

TIA smile

RosesandRugby Thu 12-Jun-14 20:04:49

Have a look on ebay for a shop called Hell Bunny. They do fabulous retro/vintage dresses and they're a really great price too grin

francesthebadger Thu 12-Jun-14 20:22:39
Beaverfeaver2 Thu 12-Jun-14 21:17:59

Sugarhill boutique

Contraryish Thu 12-Jun-14 21:25:20

I've got a couple of dresses via Amazon or eBay from a seller called Krisp clothing. if you search knot front dress or something similar you should find them. Fabulously flattering but also cheap and cheerful! wink

Thenomoresleepsolution Thu 12-Jun-14 21:34:43

Oooh wow fab ideas thank you all SO much. Just exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for... will be back to update on what I go for! smile

PeachandBlack Thu 12-Jun-14 23:42:54

I've got a couple if those Krisp knot front dresses from ebay as well. They are great, some of the print ones are lovely if you can't get your size.

(also an apple/hourglass).

Contraryish Fri 13-Jun-14 06:16:01

I accidentally ordered a couple of the Krisp dresses in an 8-10 instead of a 12-14 and they actually fit, so the sizing is on the generous size!

LilyRose88 Fri 13-Jun-14 13:51:39

Can anyone tell me how long the Krisp dresses are? They are described as mini dresses on eBay and I would look rather silly in anything too short. I always aim for knee length as that tends to suit me best of all.

Contraryish Fri 13-Jun-14 13:54:28

Ah, yes, I am 5 foot 1 and they are above the knee (without being indecent) on me. So probably no good for anyone of above-average height!

keely79 Fri 13-Jun-14 16:56:25
rockybalboa Fri 13-Jun-14 20:43:50

I've just ordered THREE Krisp dresses on the strength of this thread! For a 5ft 3 size 14 apple they sound bang on perfect. I am SUCH a sucker for MN recommendations. Plus I saw a mum wearing what I am about 90% sure was the coral knot front one earlier and it looked great even though she was thinner than I am

DaftSkunk Sat 14-Jun-14 05:27:28

I have just ordered two but I wonder if they might be a bit too short on me, I'm 5 7.

PeachandBlack Sat 14-Jun-14 08:20:52

I"m 5'5" and they sit just at the top of my kneecap. They are are a really stretchy fabric though so you could easily pull them down.

Spurtle Sat 14-Jun-14 08:21:52

Daft skunk, let me know what the length is like on you. I'm 5'7" too and quite fancy one.

DaftSkunk Sat 14-Jun-14 08:42:31

Ok will report back spurtle.

rockybalboa Thu 19-Jun-14 23:34:47

My Krisp dresses arrived today and they are lovely. Really flattering and perfect length on me (5ft 3) for work. I want more!!

Contraryish Fri 20-Jun-14 06:16:28

rocky, I have a whole collection! Just got a couple of the new spotty ones and they are a slightly different fabric, the spots are kind of raised, as it were. If anything I'd say they were slightly smarter.

Just wanted to add that the dresses are not good quality, they are cheap, manmade materials but very thin and lightweight, quick to dry and drape really well without ironing. I'm going on holiday in two days time and will be packing several as they take me from something to chuck on over a bikini to something to wear out for dinner at night. I prefer the print ones as the plain ones can, er, show sweat patches!

Tyranasaurus Fri 20-Jun-14 14:55:39

Can anyone tell me how low cut these dresses are. I have huge boobs and wonder if I would end up constantly trying to pull them back into the dress.

Contraryish Fri 20-Jun-14 16:07:12

They're fine. I'm a 32H and have no problems, they are not as deep a V as some ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now