Does anybody use any of these face products? Which shall I buy?

(36 Posts)

In my 40s, combination skin but is starting to feel a bit tighter. Used to hardly ever get spots but now seem to be getting hormonal ones. Looking for a cleanser and a moisturiser and want to keep things as simple as possible.

Am wondering about:

Cethaphil
Avene
La Roche Posay

Anybody use? Any recs?

Thank you.

Skin same as yours, I have used lots of Avene products and really rate them. They seem to soothe the skin so it looks good. I especially like the Cleanance cleansing gel (keeps sports at bay) and the basic Hydrance moisturisers.

cardamomginger Sat 07-Jun-14 17:43:25

I use la Roche posay and love it. But my skin is very different from yours, so the products I use probably won't be right for you.

Thanks, both.

Deathraystare Sat 07-Jun-14 17:47:25

Cetaphil is ok nothing special -I don't think it cleanses enough. I use it from time to time but not good on dry areas I feel.

I love Avene and La Roche Posay. My skin is combination but getting drier on throat and cheeks.

Thanks, Death. Was tempted by the fact that Cataphil is on offer in Boots at the mo!

AnnabelleDarling Sat 07-Jun-14 18:05:00

I have similar skin to you, mid 40s. I use nutrogena grapefruit exfoliating cleanser and LRP Efaclar duo. They keep the spots away. My proof is that I ran out of both recently and in the few days I took to replace them I got 2 horrific spots on my chin. Won't let that happen again!

Cetaphil is a very gentle cleanser and usually recommended by dermatologists for any kind of problem skin. The Avene gentle cleanser is very similar.

I've been using Avene for everything the last few years and it's helped my skin enormously (also 40s, sensitive/combination skin).

I really like the micellar solution as well, I think it really evens out combination skin and cleans your pores really well.

The Nutrogena stuff is too harsh for me. Don't want something that targets blemishes, as (fingers crossed) I only get a few, just before my period.

Bohemian - which Avene products do you use?

Sorry - forget to say, 'Thank you.' blush

shoeprincess2 Sat 07-Jun-14 18:35:44

I am knocking on the door of my 40s and have combination/oily skin, prone to dehydration. Avene Cleanance cleansing gel is superb stuff. I use it morning and night. At night time, I hot cloth cleanse with a balm first and then use the Avene as the second cleanse. I use LRP Effaclar duo in the week leading up to my period, as this is when I am prone to breakouts. I did try the Avene Cleanance K gel, but it smells foul and did nothing to prevent the breakouts. The LRP is great stuff. I use Olay Three Point super serum or a RoC retinol treatment on good skin days, at night time. During the day, I just use Sunsense sub screen and then my foundation, as it provide enough moisture for my skin. When I am particularly dehydrated, I lather a Gatineau hydrating face mask over my serum at night and it seems to plump up the skin.

Thank you. I think I'm going to try an Avene cleanser in the first instance. Not sure re moisturiser.

Cuteypatootey Sat 07-Jun-14 19:12:05

love avene and la Roche posey. I currently have avenue calming cream as to put under makeup. cetaphil, I've only used the body cream although I didn't rate it.

phoneyjoanie Sat 07-Jun-14 20:09:10

I use Avene skin recovery cream daily but La Roche Posay Cicaplast or A-Derma Epitheliale if my skin is dry or irritated. I have also started using the Avene cream with SPF20. I would definitely buy anything from the A-Derma range again...the oil/gel cleanser is lovely too, but unfortunately it's not stocked in Boots stores anymore,only online.

I reacted strongly to the Avene Anti-Rougers cream ironically but was able to return it to Boots.

Neutrogena was also very harsh on my skin. Within days I was flaking away!

shoeprincess2 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:22:26

I can't use Neutrogena either. I went through a phase of trying to blitz the oil but their products just made my skin bobbly, dry and itchy!

Thanks all. Think I will get this or this but don't know which moisturiser yet.

shoeprincess2 Sat 07-Jun-14 21:43:59

I've heard good things about the Avene Hydrance Optimale light moisturiser. I'm sure there'll be a 3 for 2 at Boots soon on skincare, so you could get one of the cleansers and 2 moisturisers. The Avene hydrating serum gets a lot of love too.

squoosh Sat 07-Jun-14 22:12:53

Escentual have 1/3 off all the French pharmacy brands at the moment.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 07-Jun-14 22:14:58

Avene rich compensating cream is great on 3rd jar tried another brand and not as good. I love it!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 07-Jun-14 22:17:37

Also I've loved soap and glory peaches and cream cleanser for mornings another must have.

Same age and skin combo as you OP but not so many hormonal breakouts (due to routine).

Thanks all. Don't like S&G stuff because of the smell (although I do really like their makeup). Want to get it tomorrow, so may have to pay full price (impatient!).

OP I use the Avene extremely gentle cleanser (the first link you put up) and the Hydrance Optimale light moisturiser that shoeprincess mentions, which is pretty much the best moisturiser I've ever used (for my skin anyway). I have used the skin recovery cream but find it a bit heavy for every day, it's good for winter though.

I also use the micellar solution a few times a week after a shower. As I said, I think it really helps even out the skin.

Thanks, Dreaming.

Dudess Sat 07-Jun-14 22:32:15

I've never used any of those three, although the Avene packaging is lovely. Have you used Liz Earle skincare? Her products really are worth the hype and I'm a big No 7 fan.

Liz Earle didn't work for me (though I love the smell). Gave me lots of tiny white spots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now