ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

ETI hairdryer for horrible thick coarse hair?

(23 Posts)
Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 10:25:56

My hairdryer is shite, my hair is also shite. Texture of horse's mane and about twice as much of it as normal people have.

I believe MN quite likes Parlux dryers smile but I also hear v good things about ETI.

For my horrible hair, what's the MN consensus for something a bit more like salon texture? Should also admit that I cannot blow dry to save my life - blast and GHD to death is the only technique I can manage.

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 07-Jun-14 10:32:07

Dunno about hair dryers but here are my top tips for drying, based on having to get good at blow drying after weaning myself off my 'blast then Ghd' habit!

High speed but not too hot and keep it moving so you don't burn your hair or scalp.

Always point down the hair shaft.

Use a wide toothed comb to gently comb down hair constantly right from the start whilst drying - once hair dry enough switch to a big round vent brush and keep brushing downwards.

Once hair 80% dry, move top bit forward and blast back section, brushing down until 100% dry. The roots being dry is really important - if there is even a tiny bit of moisture left your hair will frizz and fluff. Then do sides same way, again concentrate on roots. Find your parting then lastly smooth down the top layers, making sure all moisture gone from roots. Finally use the round brush to curl the ends under a bit, don't use too much heat but a little blast will help 'set' it.

Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 10:55:40

That does sound do able, esp with decent dryer. Thank you. Do you use a serum?

WillowMoo Sat 07-Jun-14 12:00:36

I have hair and a hairdryer similar to yours sad Have never heard of ETI..... I'm currently leaving lots of hints & Web pages open on DHs laptop re: a parlux 385 as because my hair takes sooo long to dry it kills my arms and this is supposedly very light. Was also considering a Collexia but couldn't decide on which model

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 07-Jun-14 12:55:40

I don't use a serum as silicones build up on my hair leaving it looking lank, also it prevents hair from soaking in genuine sources of moisture - oils and decent conditioners. Find a good heat protection spray with minimal silicone in though - I like Aussie leave in conditioning spray. I put a tiny minuscule amount of coconut oil on just the ends once it's all dry to stop them frizzing and splitting though.

Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 16:44:50

OK

Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 16:45:51

OK, another good tip thank you - but c'mon afternoon crowd, speak to me of hairdryers! I am lazy and in hopes of a technological solution...

poorbuthappy Sat 07-Jun-14 16:47:20

I am on my 3rd ETI.
I love it.

Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 16:49:40

Ooo, what's your hair like? And third in how long?

poorbuthappy Sat 07-Jun-14 17:03:36

I have ahem strong hair. grin
Quite dry but not really coarse.

My current dryer is into year 3 now.
I've had 3 because I broke the other 2 by dropping themblush
I bought off internet and can't even remember how much for.

poorbuthappy Sat 07-Jun-14 17:04:14

But if it broke tonight I would replace instantly.

Hopefully Sat 07-Jun-14 17:16:16

I LOVE my eti hairdryer. I have thick but fine hair, iykwim, but my hairdresser swears by them for all hair types.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 07-Jun-14 18:07:41

Parlux parlux parlux!

Hopefully Sat 07-Jun-14 18:30:17

<accidentally knocks Dame over while waving ETI pom-poms>

Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 18:33:02

Do they make your hair swish? The only time I get swish, as opposed to sullen clumps, is after a haircut.

And which model of either brand?

<silently chants fight fight fight>

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 07-Jun-14 18:45:59

Parlux well make it swishy <shoves hopefully out of the way!>wink

NormHonal Sat 07-Jun-14 18:47:50

Team ETI here! I bought one after using the ETI at the gym. I have long, thick hair.

You need a BabyLiss Big Hair.

Hopefully Sat 07-Jun-14 18:55:13

I have an ETI turbo hairdryer which isn't hideously overpriced like the parlux grin.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 07-Jun-14 19:14:28

That looks just like my parlux. It's a parlux wannabewink

Hopefully Sat 07-Jun-14 19:55:01

grin

RickyDinkPanther Sat 07-Jun-14 20:24:17

I bought an ETI and I love it every single time I use it.

(I'm a bit sad!)

StantonLacy Sat 07-Jun-14 20:49:12

I've got an ETI Turbo like Hopefully and I LOVE it.

I've got coarse, thick, wiry hair and it dries it quickly and leaves it beautifully smooth...I still have to use my Cloud9s, but that's more habit than actually needing to smile

Needasilverlining Sat 07-Jun-14 21:58:41

Btw norm, I may have missed the point but I already have big, nay massive, hair. What would the Babyliss Big Hair do for me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now