Bobbed hair shorter on one side?

(25 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Sat 07-Jun-14 10:01:35

Bit of context; I'm 42, with bobbed, wavy/curly light brown, fine-ish hair. Once every few months I have a semi-permanent light brown dye to cover some of the grey but I don't mind a bit of grey showing - nobody is going to believe I am 24 anyway.
I try to look presentable but wouldn't say I am naturally stylish. I'm not a fashion disaster (most of the time) but nobody would pick out my 'look' as exceptional either. I tend to favour jeans, leggings and tunics etc - comfort is important. I barely wear any make-up - just a tinted moisturiser.
I have noticed a few women my age with bobbed hair that is quite short on one aide and longer on the other, and have decided I quite like this look. However, they have mostly been quite 'funky' dressers too. I don't think I could ever pull off funky, so my question is, would I look silly/trying too hard with a braver haircut, given my general look is not especially adventurous? Today I am wearing jeans, a grey long sleeved plain top with a short sleeved navy floral tunic top over it and bright blue plimsolls.
What do you all think?

Cocolepew Sat 07-Jun-14 10:03:19

I think it would look good.

SavoyCabbage Sat 07-Jun-14 10:20:04

So do I. Why be dull I say.

WowOoo Sat 07-Jun-14 10:23:35

I always think of Phil Oakey from the Human League when I see that style.

Not saying that's a bad thing! I used to love them.

You can try it and if you don't like it then cut the longer side shorter to make it even again. Or get a summer hat!

Bohemond Sat 07-Jun-14 10:26:51

Go and have a look at recent photos of Helen Mirren. She has a fab new haircut which sounds similar (I am aware she is 60+ but it is not a 60+ haircut)

EasterSundaySimmons Sat 07-Jun-14 12:38:40

Personally I hate that haircut. Phil Oakey was the only person or ever carry it off.

There was a huge amount of copycat Frankie Sandford haircuts not so long ago. They all looked like there was a fire in the salon and they had to run out halfway before the hair cut was finished!

Biscuitsneeded Sat 07-Jun-14 13:44:04

You see, Easter, that's my worry. That the rest of me doesn't look the part so I won't be able to carry it off and instead will look, as you say, like I had to leave the salon before the hair cut was finished.

tigerdriverII Sat 07-Jun-14 13:54:22

Personally I think it looks 80s all the way and I've seen it some people who still seem to be channelling recycling their 80s wardrobe. I don't think it's a great look.

Floisme Sat 07-Jun-14 14:46:59

Yes but pretty much all of fashion is recycled/re-channelled. I can't think of a single look of the moment that is truly original. And you can always get the hairdresser to tweak it if you don't fancy being a Phil Oakey lookalike.

As to whether you can have a 'funky' hairstyle without being a funky dresser, well yes - in fact you might look more interesting that way. Apologies if I'm repeating myself from another thread but I don't understand why hair and clothes have to match.

Cocolepew Sat 07-Jun-14 15:16:45

Which out of these is close to what you mean or none of these?

Biscuitsneeded Sat 07-Jun-14 16:16:45

Not really any of those. Will see what i can find...

Biscuitsneeded Sat 07-Jun-14 16:22:17

Let's see if this works. A bit like this but possibly without the very short fringe, because as soon it grows I will just get silly devil's horns!

Infinity8 Sat 07-Jun-14 23:07:04

I've recently had this haircut. I had long, fine hair that got greasy very quickly and because I am not very patient with styling it used to get clipped up and left. It looked boring and I think, ageing because long hair looks lovely if it is shiny and in good condition but really rough if it isn't.

Anyway, I'm findibg the new style very easy to style. My hair looks thicker and shinier and because I am using mouse every day it seems ti not get so greasy.

I think there is no harm in trying it - you can always grow it out if it isnt for you.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 09-Jun-14 18:58:03

Thanks Infinity. Mine is quite fine, too, although people don't always realise because it's curlyish. I always worry it doesn't have enough volume to really carry a style, but am tempted to go for this...

Infinity8 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:36:21

I bought a mousse from the hairdresser to help with volume. The difference is amazing. I am usually overwhelmed when I go to Boots and have no idea what to get, so if you do go ahead it's worth asking the hairdresser what they recommend.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 09-Jun-14 21:52:03

Would you mind telling me what the mousse is called, Infinity?

Infinity8 Mon 09-Jun-14 22:35:28

Its CLYNOL (Hold 4 - Lift). It says salon exclusive on the can but maybe they all say that.

MargotLovedTom Mon 09-Jun-14 22:43:58

Have you posted the right photo, because there's no short fringe on that one?

MargotLovedTom Mon 09-Jun-14 22:45:46

Or is there? I'm peering hard but it's hard to make out on my phone!

I don't really think that style looks asymmetric. Just looks like curly hair which has been tucked behind her ears.

CeliaFate Mon 09-Jun-14 23:29:08

I think this style only works with straight hair. Asymmetric styles always look messy to me and need a lot of work to look sharp and smart.

Biscuitsneeded Tue 10-Jun-14 18:30:53

Thanks for the name Infinity.

Margot, if you magnify the pic I think there is a very short fringe. And it might not be an asymmetrical cut but I like the effect.

Celia, my hair is always messy anyway - a one of the perils of having curly, fine, frizzy hair!

Plateofcrumbs Tue 10-Jun-14 20:10:25

I'd say if you want to try a funkier hairstyle go for it - I used to have a bold bleach-blonde crop and the best thing about it was I felt cool no matter what I was wearing.

But I think that asymmetric style works best with naturally straight hair - it has to look very deliberate.

everythingsgoingsouth Tue 10-Jun-14 21:14:38
Biscuitsneeded Tue 10-Jun-14 21:54:30

Thanks Everything. Think I will discuss all this with trusted hairdresser! She will be amazed as I always just walk in and say 'same as usual please'!

Bindibach Tue 10-Jun-14 22:00:23

I really don't like one side short and the other side long. It always looks odd to me and weird as if there are two completely different haircuts. I think it also makes the face look out of balance.

If you have a bob could you not just get it layered and then put one side behind your ear. It will give a similar affect without having the cut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now