help - my tights won't stay up!

(42 Posts)
fridgepants Fri 06-Jun-14 19:49:51

I've googled as to the solution and some say 'buy a bigger size' - I'm 5ft 10 and a size 16-18 so I'm buying XL as it is. Or am I buying them too big? I get the M&S own brand usually.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jun-14 20:13:13

Try another brand?

Fruityb Fri 06-Jun-14 20:14:11

Stick another pair of pants over the top!

UriGeller Fri 06-Jun-14 20:14:24

Wear your knickers over your tights. That'll help the crotch from ending up round your knees

defineme Fri 06-Jun-14 20:15:59

You need to wear pants over the tights superman style.
Its because they think tall equates to massive I am the same height and mine tend to.
have heard good things about matalan tights.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 06-Jun-14 20:18:59

I put on weight since last winter and found my old tights kept fulling down. I had to buy a size up.

Longleggedlovely Fri 06-Jun-14 20:25:02

I'm a bit taller than you and find M&S tights crap but Boots ones are great!

Amethyst24 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:28:20

I think you probably do need to size up. I'm 5'8 and at a size 10-12 I wear L; only recently since I've been a size 8 have I started wearing M.

Have heard very good things about Primark tights.

Blueuggboots Fri 06-Jun-14 20:29:35

Do you roll them down first before you wear them, and pull them right from the feet upwards?

PurplyBlue Fri 06-Jun-14 20:35:48

Wear leggings instead. Seriously, tights are the devil's spider web.

MegMogandOwlToo Fri 06-Jun-14 21:46:44

Pants over the top! That's the only thing that works.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Fri 06-Jun-14 21:49:40

Tesco tights are brilliant. And long!

EdithDickie Fri 06-Jun-14 21:55:28

I like maternity tights... Sounds bad but they come practically up to my boobs which totally stops the rolling down top thing! Not very glamorous admittedly blush

hamptoncourt Fri 06-Jun-14 22:25:10

Another one here recommending Boots tights. Super quality and fit. Never roll down.

fridgepants Fri 06-Jun-14 23:38:10

Pants over the top won't work - my pants aren't that tight. Also, it sounds...thrushy.

I have size 9 feet so maybe there's not enough space in the leg? I can never get the crotch of them to go to my actual crotxh.

Amethyst24 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:53:22

If they won't reach your crotch you deffo need to size up.

fridgepants Sat 07-Jun-14 00:33:00

M+S only go up to XL, and that's what I get. Do they make tights for taller women? Or should I be looking at other brands?

GarlicJuneBlooms Sat 07-Jun-14 00:42:58

I now buy size Mahoosive tights - off ebay, as normal shops don't seem to sell them. I'm 173cm and size 16/18. I used to be skinny and very puzzled by my shrinking Large tights, but eventually got around to reading that size table they print on the back, and scaled up grin

If in doubt, I wear my Enormous Control Pants over the top. Another hint is not to use fabric conditioner - tights rely on the static they generate to stick to your legs!

GarlicJuneBlooms Sat 07-Jun-14 00:47:00

should I be looking at other brands?

The rich & skinny Garlic of old used to buy Wolseley tights, as they're better made and seem more intelligently sized. In my current fatter & poorer incarnation, I get Mikrofibsky (or whatever microfibre's called in Polish) in XXL from ebay. They are fantastic. Unfortunately the shades are a bit pot luck, so I tend to order an experimental selection & resell the ones I don't want! Sorry, that's not very precise information, is it? blush

GarlicJuneBlooms Sat 07-Jun-14 01:10:49

I've had some good tights from this brand, Fiore, in size 5. I actually have a bit of spare room in them.

Primark's XL opaque tights fit me, but my local store sells out as soon as they arrive.

GarlicJuneBlooms Sat 07-Jun-14 01:13:05

I'm an idiot, the expensive ones are Wolford not Wolseley. Shows how long ago that was ...!

Redglitter Sat 07-Jun-14 02:02:51

Evans tights are good. I'm 22/24 and. 5ft 11 and they come comfortably up to my waist and stay up

Big girl control pants over the top.

Gawd I hated tights. So glad I rarely dress up now.

BOFster Sat 07-Jun-14 02:15:39

Are hold-ups an option, or are they even worse? As a short-arse, I can't really comment.

I would try a quality pair of big size hold ups .. pants over tights? .. Urgh. I am 5 8". Go to somewhere like My Tights, read the reviews and experiment. I like Falke but they aren't cheap. Try others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now