Royal Garden party - what to wear?

(17 Posts)
bbkl Thu 05-Jun-14 16:48:37

Exactly as it says. DP and I are invited to attend a Royal Garden party at Holyrood (Edinburgh) at the beginning of July. I am clueless about these things and have just received the invitation 'afternoon dress' for the ladies leaves me none the wiser!
Any style tips? I'm a 16/18, reasonably in proportion and 5'7". I'm guessing it might not be that warm, and need to be prepared for rain. Shoes need to be suitable for walking on grass!
I don't want to spend too much on something that is totally out of my normal style orbit, but obviously I have to look the part.
Please help!

ajandjjmum Thu 05-Jun-14 16:59:08

Wellies - if it's anything like the one friends were at on Tuesday. Lovely occasion though. Wedding type clothes and chunky heels/wedges!

TSSDNCOP Thu 05-Jun-14 21:06:46

I would wear a day dress and jacket. Day dress below the knee.

Hat rather than fascinator. Hire one.

Take a Fulton style brolly like HM

Low heels, closed toe.

bbkl Thu 05-Jun-14 21:42:02

I do love the brolly! This is my problem - what is a 'day dress' ? Presumably not eg a jersey wrap dress (the kind of thing I wear for work) - tailored flowery number? Something a bit plainer I could possibly wear for smart work days afterwards?
As I said, I'm clueless. Where should I be looking? Hobbs?

EssexMummy123 Thu 05-Jun-14 22:24:31

Wow - how do you get invited to a royal garden party? 14 years in IT doesn't seem to score an invite!

Have a great time OP :-)

thenightsky Thu 05-Jun-14 22:28:13

I went to one back in 1991, when I was 8 months upduffed. I hired a lovely blue and white drop waisted silk maternity dress with a big bow on one hip (very 'in' at the time). I bought a white hat from BHS and wore mid heeled court shoes. Spiky heels are no good as you are walking on lawns. I was lucky as it was a hot sunny day.

I got to meet Princess Di, who was lovely.

burnishedsilver Fri 06-Jun-14 09:16:12

No help but this is what the dress code brings to mind ;-)

meditrina Fri 06-Jun-14 09:26:34

If you're after actual suggestions, as say you don't want to go too far from your usual style, can you say what your usual style is?

I'd think 'wedding guest' as level of smartness. So a good dress with a little jacket, or a summery suit. Wedge heels are probably best on lawns.

Of course, depending on what capacity you were invited in, uniform or national dress is suitable too.

meditrina Fri 06-Jun-14 09:28:38

"Wow - how do you get invited to a royal garden party? 14 years in IT doesn't seem to score an invite!"

Pillar of the community, really. Being involved with a charity that has a Royal Patron? Councillor? Uniformed services? Recently scoring an honour?

bbkl Fri 06-Jun-14 15:53:52

In our case, being guests of someone who has recently scored an honour.
My usual style is jersey dress, flat shoes, cardi for work and jeans, t-shirt/jumper, trainers/boots for weekends. I'm the world's most boring dresser!

TSSDNCOP Fri 06-Jun-14 17:55:34

day dress ink{http://fashion.coast-stores.com/search?asug=&country=GB&w=Dinah\fashion.coast-stores.com/search?asug=&country=GB&w=Dina]]h} OP.

or this

It's the fabric, length and cut that constitutes a day dress.

It should be an appropriate length, not flash too much flesh and the fabric should be along the lines of crepe/very heavy cotton/chiffon/silk jersey for example vs satin or knit.

TSSDNCOP Fri 06-Jun-14 17:57:25

Sorry epic fail on the first linky, ironically to exactly what you don't want.

Try this fashion.coast-stores.com/search?asug=&country=GB&w=Dinah

What's your budget?

bbkl Fri 06-Jun-14 19:44:59

I get the idea now. My entire work wardrobe probably cost less than £200, but I can see I'm going to have to spend a bit. Could probably stretch to £250/£300 but that would have to include everything.
I'd never usually wear something that fitted (scared of looking all bumpy). I guess I just need to get out there and start trying on. Coast looks a good bet, anywhere else I can try?

TSSDNCOP Fri 06-Jun-14 21:38:55

Have a look on the John Lewis website: lots of brands under one roof.

Coast/Hobbs/LK good places to start. Most would have people really happy to help you pick an outfit.

If you have a House of Fraser near you many have personal shoppers.

Don't be afraid to state your budget.

I've also PM'd you.

MsVenus Sat 07-Jun-14 07:02:43
AuntieStella Sat 07-Jun-14 09:43:20

I think the cobalt fitted dress (solid colour, close fitted tailoring) looks far too office-y for a garden party.

If you want close fitting, then what about one witha pattern like this from Monsoon?

The choice of dresses this summer is a limited - I've just looked through a few sites (also have an event coming up) and there are very few shapes/lengths available. If you don't like knee-length, there's next to nothing. So i think department store would be a good place to start.

bbkl Sat 07-Jun-14 20:32:34

The advice service thingy looks like a good idea, and I can get to JL easily. Maybe I'll have a go at that to see what they suggest as well as ordering a couple of things online to try on at home. Can't remember the last time I actually went shopping (rather than clicking) so it will be a novel experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now